Losing Network Credentials

Gary

      3rd May 2009
I have a network with a SBS2000 server, and a NAS. The username and
passwords are duplicated on each device.
I have several XP workstations that will lose their network credentials to
the NAS mapped drives after some period of inactivity ( not consistent). The
mapped drives to the domain do not have a problem.

The only difference in the problem computers from the good computers are
their NICs (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx), the good ones use Intel . All NICs are
integrated on the motherboard and use DHCP. All computers as setup as
members of a domain.

I have tried the following with no success:
- turned off any power savings feature
- replaced the NIC with an Intel Pro1000/GT
- unmapped and remapped the shares

A temporary solution is to have the users lock and unlock their computers
(Ctrl-Alt-Del) when they notice the problem (very slow response). Something
gets refreshed when you do this, and the problems are fixed temporarily.

Any help is appreciated... Gary

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      3rd May 2009
Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a network with a SBS2000 server, and a NAS. The username and
> passwords are duplicated on each device.
> I have several XP workstations that will lose their network
> credentials to the NAS mapped drives after some period of inactivity
> ( not consistent). The mapped drives to the domain do not have a
> problem.
> The only difference in the problem computers from the good computers
> are their NICs (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx), the good ones use Intel .
> All NICs are integrated on the motherboard and use DHCP. All
> computers as setup as members of a domain.
>
> I have tried the following with no success:
> - turned off any power savings feature
> - replaced the NIC with an Intel Pro1000/GT
> - unmapped and remapped the shares
>
> A temporary solution is to have the users lock and unlock their
> computers (Ctrl-Alt-Del) when they notice the problem (very slow
> response). Something gets refreshed when you do this, and the
> problems are fixed temporarily.
> Any help is appreciated... Gary

Event log errors?

If you have the option to trade in this NAS for one that can participate in
AD, I'd do that. Much much much easier to manage security - and your users
will be able to change their own passwords!