PC Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Logitech G7 Mouse repair

sugar 'n spikes

15th Apr 2007
I mentioned a week or two ago in another thread my Logitech G7 Mouse went belly up on me. The scroll wheel didn't click down anymore; the scroll wheel side click movements were sluggish and it would perform random fucnctions on the screen.

In the end it became unstable and unusable with random screen happenings like some windows opening by themselves and 'flashing' or 'oscillating' windows (Win XP). I've had the mouse since December 2005 so it was out of warranty.

So I ditched it for a while and decided today to have a look inside.

I couldn't figure out how to take the thing apart so in the end I had to remove the label that showed model number and stuff and the three glide pads fitted.

This revealed four screws. Removing these enabled me to take the top off.

Removing one internal screw allowed me to remove the scroll wheel, spring and mounting bracket. Sorry, I didn't think at the time to take pix, wish I had now.

Inspecting the scroll wheel assembly I noticed two small hairs wrapped round the centre, which I removed and I also cleaned all scroll wheel surfaces with meths and cotton buds.

On reassembly, it worked perfectly again. Yay! Cos this really is the best mouse I've ever used. especially for gaming, and so it should be at an average price of about 54.00. Odd to think two little hairs could cause all that upset.

Only prob was, now I had no glide pads. They came off in two layers, the top shiny part peeled off of a spongy under layer. The under layer was a little tricky to remove and did not come off complete.

I cleaned all adhesive residue off with meths and some cloth. I considered super gluing the top layers of glide pads on again, but I thought the quality might be compromised without the spongy under layer.

Then I remembered I had some Teflon mouse pads that came with my BFG 8800GTS and fitted several of those.

And they worked like a charm, if anything the mouse moves better now.

In the photo below you can see where the screws are located. There are two to the right, one at the left and one middle lower.

So, if ever the same thing happens to you, you now know how to take apart your G7.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

15th Apr 2007
Well done Mr Flopps.
Sometimes something that looks tricky or done for the 1st time turns out to easy.
I find a methodical approach works.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Rocket Scientist

15th Apr 2007
Taking stuff to bits is always fun isn't it I've cleaned the inside of my mouse a few times as the scroll wheel sometimes has a mind of its own - although it's a Dell Optical mouse with a single screw so it's not too bad to take apart.

Captain Crunchie, Retired

15th Apr 2007
ah, that was too easy for you ... you is the type that will take anything apart to see how it works, especially as you think you ain't gonna break it if you think it's already broken.

* there must be some Scots blood in you *

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

16th Apr 2007
Your going to have to find a bigger challenge now aren't you?

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.66ghz | Zalman CNPS9500 | Asus A8N-SLi Premium | Asus GeForce GTX 275 | Corsair TX 650w PSU | 4 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix | 2 x 250gb Hitatchi Deskstar T7K250 | Creative X-Fi Gamer | Sony Floppy Drive | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream VA3000BWA | Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19" | Saitek Eclipse Keyboard | Logitech MX518 |

@120Hz

16th Apr 2007
Nice one Flops, funnily enough, my left click seems to double click sometimes when i just press it once.....Was looking on the Logitech support forums and its not an uncommon problem....

I think you get a three year warranty with them though, will have to check.

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

@120Hz

16th Apr 2007
I got my G7 from Amazon on the 6th June last year, phoned them today regarding the double clicking issue that seems to have developed and they said fine send it back and we will replace it. Sweet!

Gigabyte Z87X-OC | i7 4770K @ 4.4Ghz | Corsair H80i | 16Gb TeamGroup Vulcan Orange
EVGA 780 FTW | Creative X-FI Titanium HD | 500Gb Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB's of Storage
Corsair HX850 | Logitech G25 | Ducky Shine III | Deathadder 2013 | Wireless 360 Pad
Corsair Carbide 300R | BenQ XL2420T | Acoustic Energy Aego M | Windows 8.1 64 Bit

17th Apr 2007
Thanks for the DIY how to

@120Hz

27th Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_R
I got my G7 from Amazon on the 6th June last year, phoned them today regarding the double clicking issue that seems to have developed and they said fine send it back and we will replace it. Sweet!
Got the return to them no problem, but they just refunded me in full rather than sending a replacement!!

Added bonus was that i returned it to them through work (meaning i didn't pay for postage) and they paid the return postage, so i actually made a fiver out of it!

Member Extraordinaire

27th Apr 2007
Nice one VR...

Amazon are just the greatest aren't they.....I luv em...

"Ironic, isn't it Smithers? This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you." -- Mr. Burns

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: