Local Area Connection Popup Message

Bob Felton

      20th Mar 2006
I receive a "Local Area Connection is now connected" popup message
quite often. My computer is configured with a fixed IP address and
connects via a wired connection to a Linksys WET54GS which connects
wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54GS which connects via a wired connection
to a Linksys cable modem. The link between the WET54GS and WRT54GS is
extremely strong (only 25 feet distance through one carpentry ceiling
in my home). I am curious why this message keeps poping up. Thanks!
--
Bob Felton

=?Utf-8?B?d2hhdCBhcmUgeW91IGRvaW5n?=

      20th Mar 2006

"Bob Felton" wrote:

> I receive a "Local Area Connection is now connected" popup message
> quite often. My computer is configured with a fixed IP address and
> connects via a wired connection to a Linksys WET54GS which connects
> wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54GS which connects via a wired connection
> to a Linksys cable modem. The link between the WET54GS and WRT54GS is
> extremely strong (only 25 feet distance through one carpentry ceiling
> in my home). I am curious why this message keeps poping up. Thanks!
> --
> Bob Felton

M8RIX

      20th Mar 2006
Open up "Network Connections" and select the connection you are using. I
assume it is a 1394 connection since you said it is a wired connection.
Right click and select properties, un-check "Show icon in notification area
when connected" and "Notify me when this connection has limited or no
connectivity"
"Bob Felton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I receive a "Local Area Connection is now connected" popup message
> quite often. My computer is configured with a fixed IP address and
> connects via a wired connection to a Linksys WET54GS which connects
> wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54GS which connects via a wired connection
> to a Linksys cable modem. The link between the WET54GS and WRT54GS is
> extremely strong (only 25 feet distance through one carpentry ceiling
> in my home). I am curious why this message keeps poping up. Thanks!
> --
> Bob Felton

Bob Felton

      20th Mar 2006
Thanks for your response. I like having that icon so I can tell when
there is network activity. I support a couple of networks at client
sites. These are fully wired networks. The machines on those
networks have the icon showing in the system tray as well. The
machines on those networks never display the subject popup with the
possible exception of when booting up. I would like to know why the
message pops up on my machine, apparently randomly, after (and long
after) the machine has booted.

--
Bob Felton

Yves Leclerc

      20th Mar 2006
On 20/03/2006 Bob Felton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Thanks for your response. I like having that icon so I can tell when
>there is network activity. I support a couple of networks at client
>sites. These are fully wired networks. The machines on those
>networks have the icon showing in the system tray as well. The
>machines on those networks never display the subject popup with the
>possible exception of when booting up. I would like to know why the
>message pops up on my machine, apparently randomly, after (and long
>after) the machine has booted.
>

>On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:07:32 -0800, "M8RIX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Open up "Network Connections" and select the connection you are using. I
>>assume it is a 1394 connection since you said it is a wired connection.
>>Right click and select properties, un-check "Show icon in notification area
>>when connected" and "Notify me when this connection has limited or no
>>connectivity"
>>"Bob Felton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I receive a "Local Area Connection is now connected" popup message
>>> quite often. My computer is configured with a fixed IP address and
>>> connects via a wired connection to a Linksys WET54GS which connects
>>> wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54GS which connects via a wired connection
>>> to a Linksys cable modem. The link between the WET54GS and WRT54GS is
>>> extremely strong (only 25 feet distance through one carpentry ceiling
>>> in my home). I am curious why this message keeps poping up. Thanks!
>>> --
>>> Bob Felton

Usually whenever you get this pop-up, you need to double check the network
adapter, Windows power saving mode(s) and the network cable. Most of the
time, it seems that your network cable is failing. The Ethernet cable may be
starting to have some of the internet wires breaking and by moving the cable
around, you either make the wires connect or disconnect.

--
---

Y.

Bob Felton

      20th Mar 2006
Thanks, I'll look into those areas. Is it possible it has something
to do with the actual Internet connection at the cable modem? I do
have a dynamic Internet IP address which, I assume, does change at
times - but how often I don't know.