Locaging Outlooks Contacts

Bryan

      18th May 2009
I recently had my laptop replaced. The Geek Squad at Best Buy transferred my
data files from the old laptop to the new laptop. I was able to retrieve my
email messages from the .pst file which was transferred, however I'm unable
to locate any of the contacts which were within my email account. Where are
the contact records stored and how can I retrieve them.
--
Thanks,
Bryan

John Mayson

      18th May 2009
On Sun, 17 May 2009, Bryan wrote:

> I recently had my laptop replaced. The Geek Squad at Best Buy transferred my
> data files from the old laptop to the new laptop. I was able to retrieve my
> email messages from the .pst file which was transferred, however I'm unable
> to locate any of the contacts which were within my email account. Where are
> the contact records stored and how can I retrieve them.

Have you contacted Best Buy? You paid for the service, they should have
done it.

There's debate about exporting/importing your contacts. That's certainly
one way to do it. However it should have come over with your .pst file
assuming they were in the original. Were the contacts perhaps on your
Exchange server?

John

--
John Mayson <(E-Mail Removed)>
Austin, Texas, USA

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      18th May 2009
Are they in the contacts folder but not available when you press To or not
in the contacts folder?

If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
you click on the To button, check these settings:

Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
the box to enable as email address book is checked?

If this is grayed out...

Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
it and close and restart Outlook. If it is listed, then remove it and close
then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.

If you are using Outlook 2007 and the the checkbox is grayed, you'll need to
make a new profile as you can't add the Outlook Address Book service due to
a bug.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently had my laptop replaced. The Geek Squad at Best Buy transferred
> my
> data files from the old laptop to the new laptop. I was able to retrieve
> my
> email messages from the .pst file which was transferred, however I'm
> unable
> to locate any of the contacts which were within my email account. Where
> are
> the contact records stored and how can I retrieve them.
> --
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Bryan

      18th May 2009
The contacts aren't in the contacts folder. That's why I'm asking if they
are stored in a different .pst folder that can be transferred to the new
account I setup in Outlook. I created a new email account after reinstalling
Outlook because that was the first popup window that came up after install.
I then opened the 'old' .pst file and transferred all of the folders into the
new Personal Folder of the new email account. Maybe the contacts are
residing in the 'old' .pst file. When I attach the 'old' .pst file through
the 'Data File Management...' menu path, I still don't see the contacts
listed.
--
Thanks,
Bryan

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> Are they in the contacts folder but not available when you press To or not
> in the contacts folder?
>
> If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
> you click on the To button, check these settings:
>
> Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
> click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
> the box to enable as email address book is checked?
>
> If this is grayed out...
>
> Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
> address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
> it and close and restart Outlook. If it is listed, then remove it and close
> then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.
>
> If you are using Outlook 2007 and the the checkbox is grayed, you'll need to
> make a new profile as you can't add the Outlook Address Book service due to
> a bug.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I recently had my laptop replaced. The Geek Squad at Best Buy transferred
> > my
> > data files from the old laptop to the new laptop. I was able to retrieve
> > my
> > email messages from the .pst file which was transferred, however I'm
> > unable
> > to locate any of the contacts which were within my email account. Where
> > are
> > the contact records stored and how can I retrieve them.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Bryan

Bryan

      18th May 2009
Unfortunately I've been back to Best Buy 5 times since they replaced the
laptop. They have been absolutely no help. I've decided to attempt to
handle the issue myself rather than wasting any more time with their Geek
Squad. I would NEVER recommend their services to anyone!!

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Thanks,
Bryan

"John Mayson" wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009, Bryan wrote:
>
> > I recently had my laptop replaced. The Geek Squad at Best Buy transferred my
> > data files from the old laptop to the new laptop. I was able to retrieve my
> > email messages from the .pst file which was transferred, however I'm unable
> > to locate any of the contacts which were within my email account. Where are
> > the contact records stored and how can I retrieve them.

> Have you contacted Best Buy? You paid for the service, they should have
> done it.
>
> There's debate about exporting/importing your contacts. That's certainly
> one way to do it. However it should have come over with your .pst file
> assuming they were in the original. Were the contacts perhaps on your
> Exchange server?
>
> John
>
> --
> John Mayson <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Austin, Texas, USA

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      18th May 2009
press Ctrl+6 - how many contacts folders do you see?

--
> [...]

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
>> your
>> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>

>> "Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I recently had my laptop replaced. The Geek Squad at Best Buy
>> > transferred
>> > my
>> > data files from the old laptop to the new laptop. I was able to
>> > retrieve
>> > my
>> > email messages from the .pst file which was transferred, however I'm
>> > unable
>> > to locate any of the contacts which were within my email account.
>> > Where
>> > are
>> > the contact records stored and how can I retrieve them.

Bryan

      18th May 2009
When I'm in Outlook, is that when I should presss Ctrl+6? Unfortunately I'm
at work right now and my personal laptop is at home. What should I expect
when I press Ctrl + 6?
--
Thanks,
Bryan

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> close
> >> then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.
> >>
> >> If you are using Outlook 2007 and the the checkbox is grayed, you'll need
> >> make a new profile as you can't add the Outlook Address Book service due
> >> a bug.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips by email:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>
> >> You can access this newsgroup by visiting
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
> >> your
> >> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
> >>

> >> "Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      19th May 2009
yes, press it in outlook - it opens the folder list and you can see how many
contact folders there are and if your missing contacts are in any of them.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)