Linux. It's safer because it's a pain in the rear.

John Doe

      26th Jun 2012
But seriously.

I've been doing Windows for ages. Never had a real problem to do
with security. Apparently Linux developers don't really care about
unpopular Linux is. Otherwise they would provide an option for the
ordinary user to get around all of the permissions garbage that is
set up by default in Linux.

--
This is not an invitation for a Linux Lunatic to talk about how
his computer must be safe.

Michael Black

      26th Jun 2012
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, John Doe wrote:

> But seriously.
>
> I've been doing Windows for ages. Never had a real problem to do
> with security. Apparently Linux developers don't really care about
> unpopular Linux is. Otherwise they would provide an option for the
> ordinary user to get around all of the permissions garbage that is
> set up by default in Linux.

All you have to do is learn how to use it properly. Too many people spend
endless time trying to "fix" Linux by messing with permission and all
that.

Michael

John Doe

      27th Jun 2012
Michael Black <et472 ncf.ca> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>
>> But seriously.
>>
>> I've been doing Windows for ages. Never had a real problem to
>> do with security. Apparently Linux developers don't really care
>> about unpopular Linux is. Otherwise they would provide an
>> option for the ordinary user to get around all of the
>> permissions garbage that is set up by default in Linux.
>>

> All you have to do is learn how to use it properly.

As usual, that's vague. That happens a lot when you ask for help.
If you get any answer at all, people often provide a vague answer,
or they provide an answer that appears to have been translated by
Babel Fish. Or the answer is incomplete.

> Too many people spend endless time trying to "fix" Linux by
> messing with permission and all that.

I'm not trying to fix it, I'm trying to use it. People who
actually do something with their computers need ready access
simple functions like copy, cut, and paste.

First, I try to download a 7z themes file. That fails. So I
install 7-zip. Then, the file downloads. But it doesn't extract
properly. Somehow, it properly extracted once. Anyway, there is
also the problem of file permissions. You can somehow do that from
a command line. You can also open a file manager from the command
line using "root" permissions. But that file manager is only
partly functional, it doesn't use your preferences. At that point,
I'm still stuck trying to extract and copy the 7z file from the
download utility to the themes folder. I've done some research,
but so far found answers that are incomplete and/or incorrect.
One of the problems with trying to research a problem appears
to be that there is so many different versions of Linux.

--

> Michael

John Doe

      27th Jun 2012
Here's an example of the lack of help you get when asking
about problems that might have to do with permissions...

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1847573.html

What's in a Name?

      27th Jun 2012
On 06/26/2012 05:12 PM, John Doe wrote:
> But seriously.
>
> I've been doing Windows for ages. Never had a real problem to do
> with security. Apparently Linux developers don't really care about
> unpopular Linux is. Otherwise they would provide an option for the
> ordinary user to get around all of the permissions garbage that is
> set up by default in Linux.

Linux does things differently.
perhaps you should just stick with windows...
--
This group is too complicated for bears. -G Morgan
The internet will become the sacred sanctuary for nutters,idiots and

John Doe

      27th Jun 2012
What's in a Name? <invalid invalid.net> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>> But seriously.
>>
>> I've been doing Windows for ages. Never had a real problem to
>> do with security. Apparently Linux developers don't really care
>> about unpopular Linux is. Otherwise they would provide an
>> option for the ordinary user to get around all of the
>> permissions garbage that is set up by default in Linux.
>>

> Linux does things differently.

Obviously some things it does worse. The lack of voice-activated
macroing/scripting is a prime example.

> perhaps you should just stick with windows...

Hello there nym-shifting troll.

> This group is too complicated for bears. -G Morgan
> The internet will become the sacred sanctuary for nutters,idiots and
> trolls -Michel Nostradamus 1566
> Registered Linux User #393236

noarchive and/or nymshifting
> From: What's in a Name? <invalid invalid.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: Linux. It's safer because it's a pain in the rear.
> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:22:03 -0400

What's in a Name?

      27th Jun 2012
On 06/26/2012 10:26 PM, John Doe wrote:
> What's in a Name? <invalid invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:

>>> But seriously.
>>>
>>> I've been doing Windows for ages. Never had a real problem to
>>> do with security. Apparently Linux developers don't really care
>>> about unpopular Linux is. Otherwise they would provide an
>>> option for the ordinary user to get around all of the
>>> permissions garbage that is set up by default in Linux.
>>>

>> Linux does things differently.

> Obviously some things it does worse. The lack of voice-activated
> macroing/scripting is a prime example.
>
>> perhaps you should just stick with windows...

> Hello there nym-shifting troll.

that would be Mr to you

--

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, Rick wrote:

> On 6/26/2012 4:12 PM, John Doe wrote:
>> But seriously.
>>
>> I've been doing Windows for ages. Never had a real problem to do
>> with security. Apparently Linux developers don't really care about
>> unpopular Linux is. Otherwise they would provide an option for the
>> ordinary user to get around all of the permissions garbage that is
>> set up by default in Linux.
>>

> I just takes a little more time and it is completely different from MS OS so
> it just requires a little reading. I have not had too much of a problem
> using it

But you get that. People complaining in the Linux newsgroups, "I want to
run as root because it's simpler, but such and such a program won't let me
run it as root" and it's seen as a complication rather than a clue that
one should run as a user. Most of the time, the reason they want to run
as root is because they are doing something wrong, like not putting
themselves in the right groups, so they think root will fix things. But
then they often have to do work to run everything as root anyway.

It probably is a conceptual shift that needs to be done, rather than "it's
too hard".

Michael

Paul

      27th Jun 2012
John Doe wrote:
> Here's an example of the lack of help you get when asking
> about problems that might have to do with permissions...
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1847573.html

You do realize, they write books on this stuff.

Back in the day, when we were plunked in front of a Unix
box, they didn't allow us to ask questions at first. They
gave a pile of books. You read the books first, to get
the basics. As that stopped you from asking too many
"noob" questions. At that time, our SunOs computers
also came with their own excellent manuals, and I learned a
lot from those. Sun documentation gradually went downhill
after that.

If this was a Linux group, we could ask how many people have
seen this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...CL._SS500_.gif

OReilly has a ton of books on specialized topics like that.
Find a computer book store, and see what they've got. You
gotta flip through the books, to eliminate the fluffy ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Shell-...s=bourne+shell

*******

So you won't go away unhappy, this will give you a primer
on permissions. Like lots of Wikipedia articles, it's not
focused enough on effective learning. Sections there could
just be snipped out. But you might get enough out of it
for your purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_permissions

*******

On Sun systems, we used to load AnswerBook on the machines.
Sun at one time, also offered these online, web based.
Gradually, over the years, Sun got more and more grumpy,
cutting off web access. And that's why I offer you this
web.archive.org page, as a substitute. This will give
you some "free" lessons, if you can stand navigation via
archive.org . A small section on permissions is near the bottom
of this particular page.

http://web.archive.org/web/200805312...0vsc1up?a=view

It looks like they also managed to archive the PDF versions.
When we got this from Sun, it usually came on a CD. Now, this
is "real" documentation. Dry as paper dust, boring as hell,
but it is documentation. A project I worked on, made documentation
like this too. Two feet thick... so you could sit on it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200905210...4/801-6614.pdf

Paul

Nil

      27th Jun 2012
On 26 Jun 2012, John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

> As usual, that's vague. That happens a lot when you ask for help.

You didn't ask for help.

> If you get any answer at all, people often provide a vague answer,

Try asking a non-vague question. Maybe you'll get a non-vague answer.