PC Review

Linux Distribution Chooser

13th Feb 2011
Hi You all, I have tried Linux Distro Chooser and it advised Mint would be best for me. I have tried Ubuntu and did not like it. Is it posible to download Mint onto an external drive so that I do not have dual boot as I have a spare 80gig drive. Should I start a new topic on this as I will have to be guided through installation etc as the old grey matter don't work to well, it's me age, and have passed sell by date.

sugar 'n spikes

13th Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootneck02 View Post
Hi You all, I have tried Linux Distro Chooser and it advised Mint would be best for me. I have tried Ubuntu and did not like it. Is it posible to download Mint onto an external drive so that I do not have dual boot as I have a spare 80gig drive. Should I start a new topic on this as I will have to be guided through installation etc as the old grey matter don't work to well, it's me age, and have passed sell by date.
I do know Mint runs as a live distro booted from a CD/DVD so as long as your machine can boot from a USB stick it shouldn't be a problem.

I think the latest full Mint DVD 64 Bit distro measures just short of 800Mb.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

13th Feb 2011
Oh thanks for that flopsy. so I could download and burn a dvd or download and load onto a hard drive then.
I would like to eventualy stop being reliant on Windows if I could and just use a another OS. If I were to just ule Mint how about games would they run on Mint or would I still use Windows for that.

Hon. Acoustical Engineer

13th Feb 2011
Quote:
Oh thanks for that flopsy. so I could download and burn a dvd or download and load onto a hard drive then.
I would like to eventualy stop being reliant on Windows if I could and just use a another OS. If I were to just ule Mint how about games would they run on Mint or would I still use Windows for that.
I think you will like Linux Mint a lot. It is easy to use and mostly works out of the box. Flops suggestion of burning a DVD and running it as a live distro is a good start.

Make sure you burn it as ISO and at speed no more than 4x on your burner, that way you will have smooth sailing.

As for games Linux offers plenty of them but they may not be the exact same as you get for windows but plenty to choose from.

13th Feb 2011
Thanks for the help Quadophile, I will get into and let you and floppybootstomp know how I get on, so fingers crossed.

sugar 'n spikes

13th Feb 2011
Good luck Bootsy

Gotta be honest here, when it comes to games Linux is poor compared to Windows.

The platform with the most games titles available is Windows although a great deal of those Windows games Titles will not play in Windows 7.

Then there's consoles. Keyboard and mouse not normally used so that rather fubars fps's.

Increasingly games makers are designing with consoles primarily in mind and then porting the games to Windows. This is not usually a good thing, especially when it comes to Save systems within games. It's rare to find a major selling game that will run natively in Linux.

Here's a taster of the sort of games available for Linux, although this dates from 2007:

http://rangit.com/software/top-8-linux-games-of-2007/

A Google search will turn up more lists.

If you like gaming I'd suggest dual booting Linux and Windows. In my opinion, frustrating as it is in some aspects, Windows on a PC is the best gaming platform.

As at this time, in my opinion, Linux cannot be taken seriously as a major gaming platform.

About the only advantage with Linux games, however, is that the majority of them are free.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

14th Feb 2011
Thanks for the link floppybootstomp quite a list to be getting started with thanks, and free is good as well now that cash is going to be tight. Once again thanks. If I do dual boot how much partition should I give to Mint.This is my C drive unused space 1.09 tb out of 1.36 tb.

Hon. Acoustical Engineer

14th Feb 2011
Quote:
Thanks for the link floppybootstomp quite a list to be getting started with thanks, and free is good as well now that cash is going to be tight. Once again thanks. If I do dual boot how much partition should I give to Mint.This is my C drive unused space 1.09 tb out of 1.36 tb.
Follow this guide and you will be OK

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/05/26...-ubuntu-10-04/

sugar 'n spikes

14th Feb 2011
Off the top of my head, depending on how much video,music/documents you're going to want to store within Linux, I reckon about 200Gb - 300Gb would be good.(This is being a little over-generous but I figure better too much than too little).

Acruncher

1st Mar 2011
Quote:
You do realise that Mint is just Ubuntu with a green wallpaper

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: