Linksys router assigning 192.168.1.36

Dave Morrell

      3rd Sep 2003
My Linksys router gets in this habit from time to time of assigning one of
its clients the address 192.168.1.36. When this address is assigned, the
client can't see the network, nor can the network see it. Pinging times
out. Interestingly, this seems to happen when when 192.168.1.100 is not
being used by another client machine. DHCP is set up to start addressing
with 192.168.1.100.

If I reset the router, nothing changes. But if I unplug it for fifteen
seconds, it goes back to normal, assinging the formerly unconnected machine
to 192.168.1.100.

Any idea what's causing this?

Rick Wintjen

      4th Sep 2003
Dave Morrell wrote:
> My Linksys router gets in this habit from time to time of assigning one of
> its clients the address 192.168.1.36. When this address is assigned, the
> client can't see the network, nor can the network see it. Pinging times
> out. Interestingly, this seems to happen when when 192.168.1.100 is not
> being used by another client machine. DHCP is set up to start addressing
> with 192.168.1.100.
>
> If I reset the router, nothing changes. But if I unplug it for fifteen
> seconds, it goes back to normal, assinging the formerly unconnected machine
> to 192.168.1.100.
>
> Any idea what's causing this?

Perhaps you have your TCP/IP IP settings set to set this address as an
alternate, if DHCP fails. WinXP has this option, on the Alternate
Settings tab in the TCP/IP properties.

Dave Morrell

      4th Sep 2003
Thanks, I'll check that. Any idea how to find out what's causing DHCP to
fail?

"Rick Wintjen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H%x5b.1023$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave Morrell wrote:
> > My Linksys router gets in this habit from time to time of assigning one

of
> > its clients the address 192.168.1.36. When this address is assigned,

the
> > client can't see the network, nor can the network see it. Pinging times
> > out. Interestingly, this seems to happen when when 192.168.1.100 is not
> > being used by another client machine. DHCP is set up to start

addressing
> > with 192.168.1.100.
> >
> > If I reset the router, nothing changes. But if I unplug it for fifteen
> > seconds, it goes back to normal, assinging the formerly unconnected

machine
> > to 192.168.1.100.
> >
> > Any idea what's causing this?
> >

> Perhaps you have your TCP/IP IP settings set to set this address as an
> alternate, if DHCP fails. WinXP has this option, on the Alternate
> Settings tab in the TCP/IP properties.

Dave Volke

      8th Sep 2003
I too have a Linksys Router and I had a similar problem whereby DHCP would
allocate a different IP whenever my PC was rebooted. I needed a fixed IP to
access from work. Best thing you can do is turn off DHCP on the Router and
allocate a fixed IP setting in the windows TCP/IP setup. You can still use
the same range that you was using (192.168.1.2 upwards). Dont forget to do
the same for all PC's connected.

news:bj7l56$g1v4l$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...