PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Line numbers for a text document?

 
 
LAS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Jul 2010
I have a text document where I want to find line 274, but neither Word nor
WordPad nor Notepad give me line numbers for the cursor location. Is there
some way I can find this out?

TIA
LAS


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stefan Blom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Jul 2010
In Word, you can use the Go To dialog box to move the insertion point to a
particular line. Press Ctrl+G to display the dialog. For "Go to what," choose
"Line," type in the line number, and press Enter.

In addition, you can display line numbers on the status bar. If you are using
Word 2007, right-click the status bar and, on the context menu, click to select
"Line number."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP
(Message posted via news.eternal-september.org)



"LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i17d9p$3oh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I have a text document where I want to find line 274, but neither Word nor
>WordPad nor Notepad give me line numbers for the cursor location. Is there
>some way I can find this out?
>
> TIA
> LAS
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
LAS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Jul 2010
Getting there! Now, how can I make Word deal with very long lines (when
wrapping on a normal page, one input line turns into four or five lines in
the document.)

"Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i17l1m$b9s$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In Word, you can use the Go To dialog box to move the insertion point to a
> particular line. Press Ctrl+G to display the dialog. For "Go to what,"
> choose "Line," type in the line number, and press Enter.
>
> In addition, you can display line numbers on the status bar. If you are
> using Word 2007, right-click the status bar and, on the context menu,
> click to select "Line number."
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
> (Message posted via news.eternal-september.org)
>
>
>
> "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i17d9p$3oh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>I have a text document where I want to find line 274, but neither Word nor
>>WordPad nor Notepad give me line numbers for the cursor location. Is
>>there some way I can find this out?
>>
>> TIA
>> LAS
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay Freedman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10th Jul 2010
Word doesn't "deal with very long lines". It always wraps them in one
fashion or another. The best you can do is to go into the Options
dialog and check "Show text wrapped within the document window", then
switch to Draft view and make Word as wide as you can fit on your
monitor.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so all may benefit.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:15:09 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Getting there! Now, how can I make Word deal with very long lines (when
>wrapping on a normal page, one input line turns into four or five lines in
>the document.)
>
>"Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:i17l1m$b9s$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In Word, you can use the Go To dialog box to move the insertion point to a
>> particular line. Press Ctrl+G to display the dialog. For "Go to what,"
>> choose "Line," type in the line number, and press Enter.
>>
>> In addition, you can display line numbers on the status bar. If you are
>> using Word 2007, right-click the status bar and, on the context menu,
>> click to select "Line number."
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>> (Message posted via news.eternal-september.org)
>>
>>
>>
>> "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i17d9p$3oh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>I have a text document where I want to find line 274, but neither Word nor
>>>WordPad nor Notepad give me line numbers for the cursor location. Is
>>>there some way I can find this out?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> LAS
>>>

>>
>>

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
LAS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2010
Thanks. It's good to know I can stop looking in Word. Frees me up for
other approaches.

"Jay Freedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Word doesn't "deal with very long lines". It always wraps them in one
> fashion or another. The best you can do is to go into the Options
> dialog and check "Show text wrapped within the document window", then
> switch to Draft view and make Word as wide as you can fit on your
> monitor.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
> newsgroup so all may benefit.
>
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:15:09 -0400, "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Getting there! Now, how can I make Word deal with very long lines (when
>>wrapping on a normal page, one input line turns into four or five lines in
>>the document.)
>>
>>"Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:i17l1m$b9s$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In Word, you can use the Go To dialog box to move the insertion point to
>>> a
>>> particular line. Press Ctrl+G to display the dialog. For "Go to what,"
>>> choose "Line," type in the line number, and press Enter.
>>>
>>> In addition, you can display line numbers on the status bar. If you are
>>> using Word 2007, right-click the status bar and, on the context menu,
>>> click to select "Line number."
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stefan Blom
>>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>> (Message posted via news.eternal-september.org)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "LAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:i17d9p$3oh$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>>>I have a text document where I want to find line 274, but neither Word
>>>>nor
>>>>WordPad nor Notepad give me line numbers for the cursor location. Is
>>>>there some way I can find this out?
>>>>
>>>> TIA
>>>> LAS
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I get text in a legal document to line up with line numbers sunshine97236 Microsoft Word Document Management 1 25th Jan 2008 08:33 PM
How to store/read listbox items in a text file line by line (with line break) ? kimiraikkonen Microsoft VB .NET 6 2nd Nov 2007 06:27 PM
numbers numbers numbers =?Utf-8?B?bWFydG1hbg==?= Windows XP Help 2 16th Jan 2004 03:40 AM
Preserving Line breaks when importing text into multi line text boxes. One Handed Man [ OHM ] Microsoft Access 3 15th Sep 2003 04:15 PM
Preserving Line breaks when importing text into multi line text boxes. One Handed Man [ OHM ] Microsoft Access Form Coding 1 15th Sep 2003 04:15 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:02 PM.