PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

I like Vista .... not

 
 
Chuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Mar 2011
Microsoft, in their wisdom, decided at some point in time, to idiot
proof their software. In effect what they've done is made it more difficult
to do things if you're not an idiot. Example, they've removed the file type
tab from the folder options so now you have to go into the registry if you
want to add more parameters rather than just the default exe to the "open
with" settings.
Another example, I've always used Outlook Express rather than MS Outlook
as my email client. I don't like MS Office. I think it's a bloated memory
hog and I don't like the fact that you can't subscribe to newsgroups with MS
Outlook. Now, in Vista, OE is no longer there. You need to use Windows Mail.
Windows mail doesn't allow you to display your contact list in the same
window. You have to open a new window to see your contacts.
The longer I use it the more I realize Vista really blows! I can only
assume that the son of Vista, Windows 7, is even worse. i wish I had stuck
with XP.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Hagen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Mar 2011

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1%Obp.27636$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft, in their wisdom, decided at some point in time, to idiot
> proof their software. In effect what they've done is made it more
> difficult
> to do things if you're not an idiot. Example, they've removed the file
> type
> tab from the folder options so now you have to go into the registry if
> you
> want to add more parameters rather than just the default exe to the
> "open
> with" settings.
> Another example, I've always used Outlook Express rather than MS
> Outlook
> as my email client. I don't like MS Office. I think it's a bloated
> memory
> hog and I don't like the fact that you can't subscribe to newsgroups
> with MS
> Outlook. Now, in Vista, OE is no longer there. You need to use Windows
> Mail.
> Windows mail doesn't allow you to display your contact list in the same
> window. You have to open a new window to see your contacts.
> The longer I use it the more I realize Vista really blows! I can only
> assume that the son of Vista, Windows 7, is even worse. i wish I had
> stuck
> with XP.
>



1: All production of OE and Windows Mail ceased in June, 2006. (Yes, while
Vista was still in beta).

2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and runs
in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win 7
machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
Imperial Beach, CA

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Wolfe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Mar 2011
On 3/3/2011 11:33 AM, Bruce Hagen wrote:

> 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
> client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and
> runs in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win
> 7 machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.


Why not use Thunderbird for both mail and news?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Hagen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Mar 2011

"Robert Wolfe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 3/3/2011 11:33 AM, Bruce Hagen wrote:
>
>> 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
>> client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and
>> runs in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win
>> 7 machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.

>
> Why not use Thunderbird for both mail and news?



I prefer separate programs.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
Imperial Beach, CA

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kelly Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Mar 2011

"Bruce Hagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ikofs3$mou$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
> 1: All production of OE and Windows Mail ceased in June, 2006. (Yes, while
> Vista was still in beta).
>
> 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
> client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and runs
> in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win 7
> machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
> Imperial Beach, CA
>


I too am desperate to hack WN onto my W7 computer. I tried but it will not
open. It shows it's running in Task Manager on W7, but it is not visable.
Any help would be so appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Hagen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Mar 2011

"Kelly Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:imhd0c$ofc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Bruce Hagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ikofs3$mou$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> 1: All production of OE and Windows Mail ceased in June, 2006. (Yes,
>> while Vista was still in beta).
>>
>> 2: If you think Windows Mail blows, Windows 7 has no built-in e-mail
>> client, but offers Windows Live Mail as a replacement for WinMail and
>> runs in Vista and 7. That blows so bad, I hacked in WinMail on this Win
>> 7 machine and use it for news, and use Thunderbird for mail.
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>
> I too am desperate to hack WN onto my W7 computer. I tried but it will
> not open. It shows it's running in Task Manager on W7, but it is not
> visable. Any help would be so appreciated.




First, you need access to a Vista machine.

On the Win7 machine, find the "Windows Mail" folder in Program Files.
Rename it to "OldWindows Mail" as a precaution.

Using a Flash or CD, copy the "Windows Mail" folder in its entirety from
the Vista machine.

Go back to the Win7 machine and copy the "Windows Mail" from the Flash or
CD to a location in Program Files.

Open it and right click on the WinMail.exe file and send a shortcut to the
Desktop. Done.


An alternative.

How to Reinstate Windows Mail in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-mail.html

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010
Imperial Beach, CA

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to say thankg you to all who helps people like me so, One day I can be like you and help those who are like me. Mike Saifie Microsoft Access Form Coding 0 9th Mar 2006 01:36 AM
Quake 4 is out and it's a game like doom 3. And i would say it like doom... hahaha what a joke also the beginning is like pariah and halo 1 ... coping is lame DDC ATI Video Cards 18 1st Nov 2005 01:03 AM
Poll Question : How well do you like this Father's Love Letter video presentation? (A.) I like it. (B.) I don't like it. (C.) I like it so much that it made me cry. IBMclerk7781226@yahoo.com Windows XP General 3 18th Apr 2005 02:30 AM
Query filter for text field: Not Like "MEX" or Not Like "CAN" doe. =?Utf-8?B?YW50aG9ueV9odW50ZXJAY2FyZ2lsbC5jb20=?= Microsoft Access Queries 2 10th Dec 2004 09:27 PM
"like" and "not like" Patty Microsoft Access 8 21st Nov 2003 08:45 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:50 AM.