Launching a search explorer.exe form the command line

AL4B

      14th Jul 2004
I need to launch search window (as with
to "Start" / "Search"). I know it is explorer.exe but I
cannot find the proper command line option.

Thanks

Matthias Tacke

      14th Jul 2004
"AL4B" wrote:

>I need to launch search window (as with
>to "Start" / "Search"). I know it is explorer.exe but I
>cannot find the proper command line option.
>
>Thanks

Windows Explorer Command-Line Options
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;152457

--
Greetings
Matthias________________________________________

AL4B

      14th Jul 2004
Thanks, I know about this knowledge base article, but it
does not tell how to open Explorer.exe in search mode,
like if I press F3 inside Explorer.exe or if I press the
Win+F key combination.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

      14th Jul 2004
AL4B wrote:

> I need to launch search window (as with
> to "Start" / "Search"). I know it is explorer.exe but I
> cannot find the proper command line option.

Hi

E.g. like this (creating a temporary VBScript file:

@echo off
echo CreateObject("Shell.Application").FindFiles >%temp%\myff.vbs
cscript.exe //Nologo %temp%\myff.vbs
del %temp%\myff.vbs

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...r/default.mspx

AL4B

      14th Jul 2004
Thanks, works great!

fault.mspx
>.

Matthias Tacke

      14th Jul 2004
"AL4B" wrote:

>Thanks, I know about this knowledge base article, but it
>does not tell how to open Explorer.exe in search mode,
>like if I press F3 inside Explorer.exe or if I press the
>Win+F key combination.

cscript /nologo ExplSearch.vbs

'ExplSearch.vbs
Dim objShell
Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.FindFiles

Google is your friend.
http://www.google.com/groups?q=explo...h+command+line
One of the first resulted in the above code snippet:
http://www.google.com/groups?threadm...TNGP11.phx.gbl

--

Matthias Tacke wrote:

> "AL4B" wrote:
>

>>Thanks, I know about this knowledge base article, but it
>>does not tell how to open Explorer.exe in search mode,
>>like if I press F3 inside Explorer.exe or if I press the
>>Win+F key combination.
>>

> cscript /nologo ExplSearch.vbs
>
> 'ExplSearch.vbs
> Dim objShell
> Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Shell.Application")
> objShell.FindFiles

Hi

See my other post in this thread for a on-the-fly solution.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...r/default.mspx

AL4B

      14th Jul 2004
Thanks

q=explorer+search+command+line
>One of the first resulted in the above code snippet:
>http://www.google.com/groups?

threadm=(E-Mail Removed)

>--
>Greetings
>Matthias________________________________________
>For help on nt commands enter in a cmd window:
>W2K>HH windows.chm::ntcmds.htm XP>HH ntcmds.chm
>.

Alexander Suhovey

      15th Jul 2004
Or, more native cmd way:

type nul > %temp%\1.fnd & start %temp%\1.fnd & del /q /f "%temp%\1.fnd"

Al.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> AL4B wrote:
>
> > I need to launch search window (as with
> > to "Start" / "Search"). I know it is explorer.exe but I
> > cannot find the proper command line option.

> Hi
>
> E.g. like this (creating a temporary VBScript file:
>
> @echo off
> echo CreateObject("Shell.Application").FindFiles >%temp%\myff.vbs
> cscript.exe //Nologo %temp%\myff.vbs
> del %temp%\myff.vbs

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...r/default.mspx

New Member

      18th Jul 2010
I'm a little late to the party, here. But I'm curious: can I modify that DOS command to do a canned wildcard search? Instead of just opening up the search dialog for input, I'd like to have it go ahead and list all files matching a certain pattern (e.g., *.bak).