Late binding sample

John

      24th Feb 2006
Hi

I have the below code for communicating with outlook. What changes do I need
to do to late bind this code so it does not need references to any
particular version of outlook.

Many Thanks

Regards

Imports System.Reflection
Imports Outlook

Module modContacts
Dim O As Outlook.Application
Dim F As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim iCon As Outlook.ContactItem

Sub Contacs2Outlook()

O = New Outlook.Application
F =
O.Session.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderContacts)
oContact = DirectCast(F.Items.Item(1), Outlook.ContactItem)
oContact.Delete()

iCon = CType(F.Items().Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem),
Outlook.ContactItem)
F.Items().Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem)
With iCon
.CompanyName = "My Computer"
.Categories = "Clients"
.Save()
End With
End Sub
End Module

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYyBMZWdhdWx0IFtNVlAgLSBPdXRsb29rXQ==

      24th Feb 2006
It would be something like this I believe:

Dim O As Object
Dim F As Object
Dim iCon As Object

Sub Contacs2Outlook()

Dim oContact As Object
O = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
F = O.Session.GetDefaultFolder(10)
oContact = DirectCast(F.Items.Item(1), Outlook.ContactItem)
oContact.Delete()

iCon = CType(F.Items().Add(2), Outlook.ContactItem)
F.Items().Add(2)
With iCon
.CompanyName = "My Computer"
.Categories = "Clients"
.Save()
End With
End Sub

--
Eric Legault (Outlook MVP, MCDBA, old school WOSA MCSD, B.A.)
Try Picture Attachments Wizard for Outlook:

"John" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have the below code for communicating with outlook. What changes do I need
> to do to late bind this code so it does not need references to any
> particular version of outlook.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Regards
>

> Imports System.Reflection
> Imports Outlook
>
> Module modContacts
> Dim O As Outlook.Application
> Dim F As Outlook.MAPIFolder
> Dim iCon As Outlook.ContactItem
>
> Sub Contacs2Outlook()
>
> O = New Outlook.Application
> F =
> O.Session.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderContacts)
> oContact = DirectCast(F.Items.Item(1), Outlook.ContactItem)
> oContact.Delete()
>
> iCon = CType(F.Items().Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem),
> Outlook.ContactItem)
> F.Items().Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem)
> With iCon
> .CompanyName = "My Computer"
> .Categories = "Clients"
> .Save()
> End With
> End Sub
> End Module

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

      24th Feb 2006
Although if not logged in already in that context I'd probably want to use
GetNameSpace("MAPI") rather than Session. Some things aren't right if you
use Session that way, it doesn't touch the store.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Eric Legault [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> It would be something like this I believe:
>
> Dim O As Object
> Dim F As Object
> Dim iCon As Object
>
> Sub Contacs2Outlook()
>
> Dim oContact As Object
> O = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
> F = O.Session.GetDefaultFolder(10)
> oContact = DirectCast(F.Items.Item(1), Outlook.ContactItem)
> oContact.Delete()
>
> iCon = CType(F.Items().Add(2), Outlook.ContactItem)
> F.Items().Add(2)
> With iCon
> .CompanyName = "My Computer"
> .Categories = "Clients"
> .Save()
> End With
> End Sub
>
> --
> Eric Legault (Outlook MVP, MCDBA, old school WOSA MCSD, B.A.)
> Try Picture Attachments Wizard for Outlook:
> http://www.collaborativeinnovations.ca
> Blog: http://blogs.officezealot.com/legault/
>

> "John" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have the below code for communicating with outlook. What changes do I
>> need
>> to do to late bind this code so it does not need references to any
>> particular version of outlook.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Imports System.Reflection
>> Imports Outlook
>>
>> Module modContacts
>> Dim O As Outlook.Application
>> Dim F As Outlook.MAPIFolder
>> Dim iCon As Outlook.ContactItem
>>
>> Sub Contacs2Outlook()
>>
>> O = New Outlook.Application
>> F =
>> O.Session.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderContacts)
>> oContact = DirectCast(F.Items.Item(1), Outlook.ContactItem)
>> oContact.Delete()
>>
>> iCon = CType(F.Items().Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem),
>> Outlook.ContactItem)
>> F.Items().Add(Outlook.OlItemType.olContactItem)
>> With iCon
>> .CompanyName = "My Computer"
>> .Categories = "Clients"
>> .Save()
>> End With
>> End Sub
>> End Module

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

      24th Feb 2006
Another potential issue is those pesky anti-virus programs that block calls to CreateObject("Outlook.Application.")

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP