Laser printer for envelopes

joe_tide

      11th Jan 2007
I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
envelopes.

Using it for other things would be a bonus.

An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a thing
exists.

Also - Is there a problem with having two printers connected to the same PC?
I've never had more than one printer at a time connected.

I can use another PC if necessary - if it would make things simpler.

Thanks for any response and/or recommendations.

Warren Block

      11th Jan 2007
joe_tide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
> PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
> envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
> smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
> envelopes.

Please define what you mean by a large amount of envelopes. A hundred
or a thousand?

The multi-purpose trays on a lot of printers will handle hand-fed
envelopes one at a time, and there are specific envelope feeders for
some models, like the HP C4122A/C8053A. Good luck finding those on HP's
site, although printerworks.com has them listed.

> Using it for other things would be a bonus.
>
> An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a thing
> exists.

I'm sure they do, but they are probably for high-volume production and
priced accordingly.

> Also - Is there a problem with having two printers connected to the same PC?
> I've never had more than one printer at a time connected.

Normally not a problem as long as your computer has enough ports and the
software supports them.

joe_tide

      11th Jan 2007
By a large amount I mean a few hundred.

"Warren Block" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> joe_tide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
>> PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
>> envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap
>> envelope
>> smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
>> envelopes.

> Please define what you mean by a large amount of envelopes. A hundred
> or a thousand?
>
> The multi-purpose trays on a lot of printers will handle hand-fed
> envelopes one at a time, and there are specific envelope feeders for
> some models, like the HP C4122A/C8053A. Good luck finding those on HP's
> site, although printerworks.com has them listed.
>
>> Using it for other things would be a bonus.
>>
>> An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a
>> thing
>> exists.

> I'm sure they do, but they are probably for high-volume production and
> priced accordingly.
>
>> Also - Is there a problem with having two printers connected to the same
>> PC?
>> I've never had more than one printer at a time connected.

> Normally not a problem as long as your computer has enough ports and the
> software supports them.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

LurfysMa

      12th Jan 2007
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:44:52 -0500, "joe_tide" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
>PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
>envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
>smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
>envelopes.
>
>Using it for other things would be a bonus.
>
>An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a thing
>exists.

I posted a similar query on 1/02/07. I only got one reply suggesting
the Canon IP4300. I think that's an ink jet.

If you find one, let me know. I'll do the same.

I'm looking for something that can be dedicated to envelopes.
Something with a small footprint. Maybe some kind of label printer.
Best if it has a straight paper path.

Like you, I need it for from a few to maybe a hundred envelopes at a
time.

Warren Block

      12th Jan 2007
joe_tide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Warren Block" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> joe_tide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
>>> PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
>>> envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap
>>> envelope
>>> smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
>>> envelopes.

>> Please define what you mean by a large amount of envelopes. A hundred
>> or a thousand?

> By a large amount I mean a few hundred.

[Please don't top-post, it makes responding to your message difficult.]

The Secap 5KLE claims to be able to print up to 2,000 pieces per hour,
for only $3695. It's an inkjet.

Envelope feeders for lasers are around $250, and hold fifty to a hundred
envelopes. You'll have to add another $200-$800 for the printer itself.

It's at this point that many will consider just printing address labels.

You could also check with local mailing companies to see if they could
print envelopes more economically.

joe_tide

      12th Jan 2007

"Warren Block" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> joe_tide <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> "Warren Block" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Please define what you mean by a large amount of envelopes. A hundred
>>> or a thousand?

>> By a large amount I mean a few hundred.

> [Please don't top-post, it makes responding to your message difficult.]
>
> The Secap 5KLE claims to be able to print up to 2,000 pieces per hour,
> for only $3695. It's an inkjet.
>
> Envelope feeders for lasers are around $250, and hold fifty to a hundred
> envelopes. You'll have to add another $200-$800 for the printer itself.
>
> It's at this point that many will consider just printing address labels.
>
> You could also check with local mailing companies to see if they could
> print envelopes more economically.
>
> --
> Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

"[Please don't top-post, it makes responding to your message difficult.]"

Sorry about the top-posting. I usually review a group first to see how
Neanderthal they are.

I did see the 5KLE but didn't want to spend that much for a few hundred
envelopes a few times a year.

Thanks for the information.

M.H.

      12th Jan 2007
On my laser printer, it recommends non pre-adhesive envelopes only.
I've printed envelopes out in it, flaps come out slightly stuck
together. You will want to check with any printer you are considering
if it recommends naked or pre-glued envelopes.

joe_tide

      12th Jan 2007
"LurfysMa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:44:52 -0500, "joe_tide" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
>>PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
>>envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
>>smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
>>envelopes.
>>
>>Using it for other things would be a bonus.
>>
>>An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a
>>thing
>>exists.

> I posted a similar query on 1/02/07. I only got one reply suggesting
> the Canon IP4300. I think that's an ink jet.
>
> If you find one, let me know. I'll do the same.
>
> I'm looking for something that can be dedicated to envelopes.
> Something with a small footprint. Maybe some kind of label printer.
> Best if it has a straight paper path.
>
> Like you, I need it for from a few to maybe a hundred envelopes at a
> time.
>
> --

My old Canon ink jet (It was an i850 I believe) was great for a few hundred
envelopes, although you had to keep feeding 15 or so at a time. That wasn't
bad considering I only did it a few times a year. This iP500 is horrible
with cheap envelopes which, unfortunately, is what the people I am printing
them for have....and they have thousands of them.

If I run across something I'll let you know.

joe_tide

      12th Jan 2007

"M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dKBph.9870$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On my laser printer, it recommends non pre-adhesive envelopes only.
> I've printed envelopes out in it, flaps come out slightly stuck
> together. You will want to check with any printer you are considering
> if it recommends naked or pre-glued envelopes.

Good tip. I'll make sure to check it out.

Thanks

jw

      12th Jan 2007
joe_tide wrote:
> I'm looking for a laser printer to print envelopes specifically. My Canon
> PIXMA iP5000 does everything I need to do and does it well except for
> envelopes. It will print good quality envelopes well, but a cheap envelope
> smears about 75% of the time, especially when printing a large amount of
> envelopes.
>
> Using it for other things would be a bonus.
>
> An envelope specific printer would be an acceptable option - if such a thing
> exists.
>
> Also - Is there a problem with having two printers connected to the same PC?
> I've never had more than one printer at a time connected.
>
> I can use another PC if necessary - if it would make things simpler.
>
> Thanks for any response and/or recommendations.

I'm not sure if you are interested in only new printers, but I have a
IBM/Lexmark 4039 laser printer that I think a lot of. It has good
quality and doesn't give me any trouble. If you keep your eyes open
they are easy to find on Ebay. If you aren't in a hurry, you can also
find envelope feeders and duplexers for the printer.

The two programs I usually use for printing is WordPerfect and Atlantis.
They both understand I have a printer with a envelope feeder, so
when I do envelopes both programs just select the feeder with no
intervention from me. I have it hooked up to a ethernet print server so
every computer on the network can access the printer and envelope feeder.

I don't think the feeder will hold more than about 25 envelopes, so that
may be a problem. If you are patient you can pick up toner cartridges
very cheap. The last two new ones I bought went for $5.50 (plus $15.00
shipping).

There is an auction going on now (250069662155) selling two of these
printers, a envelope feeder, a duplexer and they throw in a HP laser
printer. The price is great (about $5.00) but they want $81.00 to ship
this truckload of iron. Still, it may not be bad for the job you want
to do. (It's not me selling my 4039s and I don't know the people that
are selling them).

John