Laser Printer Drum Lifespan

M.H.

      5th Jan 2007
How long should a laser printer drum last under light usage? The DR400
in my Brother seems to go in little less than 2 years.

Ron P

      5th Jan 2007
"M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gkrnh.7623$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How long should a laser printer drum last under light usage? The DR400
> in my Brother seems to go in little less than 2 years.

The Brother site should be able to shed some light on the number of prints
that you should expect from the drum.

Tony

      5th Jan 2007
"M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>How long should a laser printer drum last under light usage? The DR400
>in my Brother seems to go in little less than 2 years.

From memory this is rated at 20,000 pages. If you don't know how many pages the
printer has printed do you know how many toner cartridges you have had in the
printer.
The TN6600 has a yield of 6,000 pages at 5% and the TN6300 a yield of 3,000
pages, both will work with the DR400. You should be able to work out the page
count for the drum using those figures. If you bought the printer new the first
cartrdige would almost certainly have been a TN6300.
A word of caution however, the yields quoted are alway approximate and 5% is a
surprising amount of coverage and is very roughly equivalent to a full page of
type at double spacing (very approximate). Also, drums have a life limit
regardless of the amount of printing, they deteriorate naturally. It is
impossible to estimate the natural life of a drum without knowing whether it
has been exposed to light or not during its life and for how long.
In my experience 2 years is not unreasonable.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

M.H.

      7th Jan 2007
Tony wrote:
> "M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> How long should a laser printer drum last under light usage? The DR400
>> in my Brother seems to go in little less than 2 years.

> From memory this is rated at 20,000 pages. If you don't know how many pages the
> printer has printed do you know how many toner cartridges you have had in the
> printer.
> The TN6600 has a yield of 6,000 pages at 5% and the TN6300 a yield of 3,000
> pages, both will work with the DR400. You should be able to work out the page
> count for the drum using those figures. If you bought the printer new the first
> cartrdige would almost certainly have been a TN6300.
> A word of caution however, the yields quoted are alway approximate and 5% is a
> surprising amount of coverage and is very roughly equivalent to a full page of
> type at double spacing (very approximate). Also, drums have a life limit
> regardless of the amount of printing, they deteriorate naturally. It is
> impossible to estimate the natural life of a drum without knowing whether it
> has been exposed to light or not during its life and for how long.
> In my experience 2 years is not unreasonable.
> Tony
> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Oh, so the drum can just blow out in two years, without going through
anything near 20K pages?

Tony

      7th Jan 2007
"M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Tony wrote:
>> "M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> How long should a laser printer drum last under light usage? The DR400
>>> in my Brother seems to go in little less than 2 years.

>> From memory this is rated at 20,000 pages. If you don't know how many pages
>>the
>> printer has printed do you know how many toner cartridges you have had in
>>the
>> printer.
>> The TN6600 has a yield of 6,000 pages at 5% and the TN6300 a yield of 3,000
>> pages, both will work with the DR400. You should be able to work out the
>>page
>> count for the drum using those figures. If you bought the printer new the
>>first
>> cartrdige would almost certainly have been a TN6300.
>> A word of caution however, the yields quoted are alway approximate and 5% is
>> surprising amount of coverage and is very roughly equivalent to a full page
>>of
>> type at double spacing (very approximate). Also, drums have a life limit
>> regardless of the amount of printing, they deteriorate naturally. It is
>> impossible to estimate the natural life of a drum without knowing whether it
>> has been exposed to light or not during its life and for how long.
>> In my experience 2 years is not unreasonable.
>> Tony
>> MS MVP Printing/Imaging
>>

>Oh, so the drum can just blow out in two years, without going through
>anything near 20K pages?

Depending on several factors like how often it has been exposed to light and
what material is used in the coating, yes it can. Drum units sealed in their
original packaging and completely sealed from light should last longer than one
sitting in a printer and not being used very often.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

M.H.

      7th Jan 2007
Tony wrote:
>> Oh, so the drum can just blow out in two years, without going through
>> anything near 20K pages?

> Depending on several factors like how often it has been exposed to light and
> what material is used in the coating, yes it can. Drum units sealed in their
> original packaging and completely sealed from light should last longer than one
> sitting in a printer and not being used very often.
> Tony
> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

So do you think if I just replaced the drum, I'll no longer have a drum
with scratches on it? Will the toner stuck on the drum that is marring
pages no longer be an issue? I'd rather not replace the toner cart, as
it's a high capacity TN-460. Thanks.

Tony

      7th Jan 2007
"M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Tony wrote:
>>> Oh, so the drum can just blow out in two years, without going through
>>> anything near 20K pages?

>> Depending on several factors like how often it has been exposed to light and
>> what material is used in the coating, yes it can. Drum units sealed in their
>> original packaging and completely sealed from light should last longer than
>>one
>> sitting in a printer and not being used very often.
>> Tony
>> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

>So do you think if I just replaced the drum, I'll no longer have a drum
>with scratches on it? Will the toner stuck on the drum that is marring
>pages no longer be an issue? I'd rather not replace the toner cart, as
>it's a high capacity TN-460. Thanks.

There is no guarantee, there is a very slim chance that the toner cartridge is
damaging the drum but I have not seen that, ever.
Almost always toner sticking to drums is caused by a drum failure (I am of
course referring to Brother printers, it is not always so for other
manufacturers).
I referred to TN6600 cartridges, these are the same as the TN460 (different
marketing regions).
Have you considered a compatible or remanufactured drum unit? These drum units
are so easy to remanufacture it's almost a joke.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

M.H.

      7th Jan 2007
Tony wrote:
> Have you considered a compatible or remanufactured drum unit? These drum units
> are so easy to remanufacture it's almost a joke.
> Tony
> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

No, I haven't. Which ones do you recommend? Would it last as long?
Longer, maybe? Thanks.

Tony

      7th Jan 2007
"M.H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Tony wrote:
>> Have you considered a compatible or remanufactured drum unit? These drum
>>units
>> are so easy to remanufacture it's almost a joke.
>> Tony
>> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

>No, I haven't. Which ones do you recommend? Would it last as long?
>Longer, maybe? Thanks.

Depends which country you live in.
See
http://www.bizrate.com/inktoner_inkj...---pid8760792/
for an idea of the different prices available.
The higher priced units will probably be original Brother drums and the lower
ones remanufactured. I would deal only with a company that has a good
reputation, ask about the service that others have received from a supplier if
you can.
It should last just as long but probably no longer. The actual drums are made
by very high quality companies like Static Control Corp. and that is the only
part that is replaced during remanufacture of this particular unit.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

M.H.

      7th Jan 2007
Tony wrote:
> Depends which country you live in.
> See
> http://www.bizrate.com/inktoner_inkj...---pid8760792/
> for an idea of the different prices available.
> The higher priced units will probably be original Brother drums and the lower
> ones remanufactured. I would deal only with a company that has a good
> reputation, ask about the service that others have received from a supplier if
> you can.
> It should last just as long but probably no longer. The actual drums are made
> by very high quality companies like Static Control Corp. and that is the only
> part that is replaced during remanufacture of this particular unit.
> Tony
> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

US. I assume
http://www.inksoutlet.com/productDis...D=1748&go=1745
should be fine for remanufactured? BBB only has one complaint,
successfully resolved, with them in the past 36 months. Thanks, I know
you're putting a lot of work into this thread.