PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Large Fonts in Registry: Where Exactly?

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?UkxSLCBQQw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
I am in need of finding the exact registry modifications necessary for
adjusting WindowsXP Professional's font size from default (normal) to Large
Fonts.

Long story short, this is for a corporate internet kiosk I've made and I
know how to do this via Display properties - however what I *need* is a
registry edit explicitly.

I would rather this be an HKEY\LOCAL_USER modification but if it's
\LOCAL_MACHINE it will be more than adequate.

Thank you for any knowledge any of you have of this (potentially) registry
modification!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alec S.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
<RLR>; "PC" <RLR, http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am in need of finding the exact registry modifications necessary for
> adjusting WindowsXP Professional's font size from default (normal) to Large
> Fonts.
>
> Long story short, this is for a corporate internet kiosk I've made and I
> know how to do this via Display properties - however what I *need* is a
> registry edit explicitly.
>
> I would rather this be an HKEY\LOCAL_USER modification but if it's
> \LOCAL_MACHINE it will be more than adequate.
>
> Thank you for any knowledge any of you have of this (potentially) registry modification!




This is what the control panel applet changes:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel]
;set to 96 (default)
"OriginalDPI"=dword:00000060
;set to 120 (large)
"OriginalDPI"=dword:00000078
;set to small (75%)
"OriginalDPI"=dword:00000048
;set to huge (200%)
"OriginalDPI"=dword:000000c0

Here's another way:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI]
;set to 96 (default)
"LogPixels"=dword:00000060
;set to 120 (large)
"LogPixels"=dword:00000078
;set to small (75%)
"LogPixels"=dword:00000048
;set to huge (200%)
"LogPixels"=dword:000000c0


Unfortunately, both are system wide settings. Don't forget to reboot.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?UkxSLCBQQw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
>"Alec S." wrote:
> This is what the control panel applet changes:
> REGEDIT4
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel]
> ;set to 96 (default)
> "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000060
> ;set to 120 (large)
> "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000078
> ;set to small (75%)
> "OriginalDPI"=dword:00000048
> ;set to huge (200%)
> "OriginalDPI"=dword:000000c0
>
> Here's another way:
> REGEDIT4
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI]
> ;set to 96 (default)
> "LogPixels"=dword:00000060
> ;set to 120 (large)
> "LogPixels"=dword:00000078
> ;set to small (75%)
> "LogPixels"=dword:00000048
> ;set to huge (200%)
> "LogPixels"=dword:000000c0
>
>
> Unfortunately, both are system wide settings. Don't forget to reboot.
>
> --
> Alec S.
> news/alec->synetech/cjb/net
>


Thank you Alec for the quick response!

I see what you're saying, and I want to make sure I fully-understand...
My understanding of how XP handles font sizes in Display>Appearance is that
it is independant of a GPU:monitor DPI relationship. Is that not the case?
....because my DPI stays at 96DPI nomatter what I set the font size to...or is
this DPI references you're noting NOT GPU:Monitor DPI settings?

RLR, PC
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alec S.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
<RLR>; "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >"Alec S." wrote:
> > This is what the control panel applet changes:
> > .
> > Here's another way:

..
> >
> > Unfortunately, both are system wide settings. Don't forget to reboot.
> >

>
> I see what you're saying, and I want to make sure I fully-understand...
> My understanding of how XP handles font sizes in Display>Appearance is that
> it is independant of a GPU:monitor DPI relationship. Is that not the case?
> ...because my DPI stays at 96DPI nomatter what I set the font size to...or is
> this DPI references you're noting NOT GPU:Monitor DPI settings?




I can't actually test this right now because I keep getting an error when I try to change the system font size. However, if I
remember correctly (it's been quite a while since I was last able to do so), what it does is to use the DPI as a sort of "font
size". I'm not sure of the relationship, but it seems to map to point sizes. Try using the second method, does that affect
anything?


--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alec S.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
"Alec S." <@> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <RLR>; "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > I see what you're saying, and I want to make sure I fully-understand...
> > My understanding of how XP handles font sizes in Display>Appearance is that
> > it is independant of a GPU:monitor DPI relationship. Is that not the case?
> > ...because my DPI stays at 96DPI nomatter what I set the font size to...or is
> > this DPI references you're noting NOT GPU:Monitor DPI settings?

>
> I can't actually test this right now because I keep getting an error when I
> try to change the system font size. However, if I remember correctly (it's
> been quite a while since I was last able to do so), what it does is to use
> the DPI as a sort of "font size". I'm not sure of the relationship, but it
> seems to map to point sizes. Try using the second method, does that affect anything?



Great news! I fixed it (well, my problem at least.) I figured out why I was getting that error message and fixed it in a snap.

The reason that it's great for you is that now that I can actually change the font size, I was able to trace the changes to the
registry. Here are the four registry keys that the control panel applet modifies (in order):

Set to tiny (72 DPI)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x48
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x48

Set to default (96 DPI)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x60
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x60

Set to large (120 DPI)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78

Set to huge (192 DPI)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0x78
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels - 0xC0
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels - 0xC0


You'll notice that it seems to first set the default base size, then the specific selected size. Either way, you can ignore the
OriginalDPI entry (which sounds like a logical thing to do), and use these two (together) instead—you said you wanted the "large"
setting, so set them to DWORD 78, and don't forget to reboot:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI\LogPixels


HTH

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net


 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Miller MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
If you are talking about the size choices found under 'Display Properties' -> 'Appearance' tab ->
'Font Size', the associated registry value is named 'SizeName' and is found under:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]

It's a REG_SZ type, valid values are:

NormalSize
LargeFonts
ExtraLargeFonts

If you are talking about 'Display Properties' -> 'Settings' tab -> 'Advanced' button -> 'DPI
setting', then Alec S. gave you the info you need.


--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]


"RLR, PC" <RLR, (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am in need of finding the exact registry modifications necessary for
> adjusting WindowsXP Professional's font size from default (normal) to Large
> Fonts.
>
> Long story short, this is for a corporate internet kiosk I've made and I
> know how to do this via Display properties - however what I *need* is a
> registry edit explicitly.
>
> I would rather this be an HKEY\LOCAL_USER modification but if it's
> \LOCAL_MACHINE it will be more than adequate.
>
> Thank you for any knowledge any of you have of this (potentially) registry
> modification!


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?UkxSLCBQQw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
I'm not ignoring you Alec, things got busy today. I will note in my Outlook
to get back to this tomorrow.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alec S.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Oct 2006
<RLR>; "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not ignoring you Alec, things got busy today. I will note in my Outlook
> to get back to this tomorrow.



Sure no problem. I'll probably be able to give it a test tonight as well.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?UkxSLCBQQw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Oct 2006
>"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
> If you are talking about the size choices found under 'Display Properties' -> 'Appearance' tab ->
> 'Font Size', the associated registry value is named 'SizeName' and is found under:
>
> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
>
> It's a REG_SZ type, valid values are:
>
> NormalSize
> LargeFonts
> ExtraLargeFonts
>
> If you are talking about 'Display Properties' -> 'Settings' tab -> 'Advanced' button -> 'DPI
> setting', then Alec S. gave you the info you need.
>
>
> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]


Thanks Keith, without yet testing either of these methods, this *sounds
like* what I'm looking for.

I appreciate everyone's input.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Miller MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Oct 2006
You're welcome.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]


"RLR, PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>> If you are talking about the size choices found under 'Display Properties' -> 'Appearance' tab ->
>> 'Font Size', the associated registry value is named 'SizeName' and is found under:
>>
>> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ThemeManager]
>>
>> It's a REG_SZ type, valid values are:
>>
>> NormalSize
>> LargeFonts
>> ExtraLargeFonts
>>
>> If you are talking about 'Display Properties' -> 'Settings' tab -> 'Advanced' button -> 'DPI
>> setting', then Alec S. gave you the info you need.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

>
> Thanks Keith, without yet testing either of these methods, this *sounds
> like* what I'm looking for.
>
> I appreciate everyone's input.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LARGE 1, LARGE 2, LARGE 3, LARGE 4 jeel Microsoft Excel Worksheet Functions 2 30th Jan 2008 07:05 AM
Change large fonts back to small fonts ms Microsoft Windows 2000 6 14th Mar 2007 04:52 PM
Large fonts and small fonts problem. =?Utf-8?B?THVj?= Microsoft Dot NET 2 3rd May 2006 06:15 PM
Printing Issues from IE6 - small fonts print large, large ones sma =?Utf-8?B?VFJoaW5kLVR1dHQ=?= Windows XP Internet Explorer 0 26th May 2005 05:12 PM
Large Fonts Small Fonts Rob Microsoft Windows 2000 Security 0 6th Aug 2003 04:17 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 PM.