Laptop shuts off when AC adapter is removed. Battery is OK.

Maninder

      9th Feb 2004
Hi,
My presario laptop (Windows Xp) recently developed this
snag. With Ac power, it works fine but moment the adapter
is removed the unit shuts off. The meter on battery is
showing 50% charged.

Can somebody advise to help me rectify this problem.
Maninder.

Prasad Addepalli

      9th Feb 2004
Maninder,

Recalibrate the battery. (Discharge completely / recharge / discharge) Check
your model's driver page, for any battery controller firmware updates. Next,
check with another battery.

Best of luck,

Prasad
(AOL - prasadbgd)

"The strongest oak..was once a small nut that held its ground"

"Maninder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d06401c3eeed$bf719e20$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My presario laptop (Windows Xp) recently developed this
> snag. With Ac power, it works fine but moment the adapter
> is removed the unit shuts off. The meter on battery is
> showing 50% charged.
>
> Can somebody advise to help me rectify this problem.
> Maninder.

Mainder

      9th Feb 2004
Hi Prasad,,
Thanks for responding to my SOS.

I did tried to recalibrate but thats not working. I will
explain to you why:
For recalibration, I need to discharge the battery first.
But in my case, moment I remove the AC Adapter, the laptop
shuts off. And when I try to reboot it, it doesn't power-
up.
Then I have to plug in the AC adapter, & then power up, it
does boot but the Battery Icon shows 47% charged. It
neither moves up or down, reading is stuck at 47% only.

Meter on battery is also showing 50% charged. Thats why I
don't doubt the battery.

Could it be because of some problem in BIOS or Windows XP.

Battery controller firmware is also the updated one.

Maninder

Endan

      9th Feb 2004
Hi,
maybe it is because the cmos battery is dead. In that case, you need to send
your laptop back to the manufacture for replacing battery. I used to try
replacing cmos battery myself, and my laptop died in my hand.

good luck

Endan

NobodyMan

      10th Feb 2004
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:31:02 -0000, "Endan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>maybe it is because the cmos battery is dead. In that case, you need to send
>your laptop back to the manufacture for replacing battery. I used to try
>replacing cmos battery myself, and my laptop died in my hand.
>
>good luck
>
>Endan

This has "NOT CMOS BATTERY" written all over it. CMOS has nothing to
do with power management.

I do agree that it needs to go back to the manufacturer for repair.
It has nothing to do with XP.

kunun

      11th Feb 2004

presario. I think they are under the bios upgrade.