Laptop no boot: txtsetup.sif corrupt or missing

cam35pilot

      12th Nov 2008
Hi,
I have a Sony Laptop (my sisters actually). She thought she had a
virus, so I ran Mcafee and sure enough a trojan was deleted. It was
something that was passing itself off as an anti-virus, according to
her. She had "agreed" to load AntiVirus2009, which I then removed
through the programs menu (it had "uninstall") before running McAfee.

When I went to restart the laptop, I wanted to get into safe mode
to run Spybot S&D, but I accidentally hit F2 and got the boot menu. I
exited out by F10 (I'm sure that I didn't change anything), save and
exit. I'm kicking myself for not just shutting it down with the power
button.

Then, I just got a black screen with "INF FILE txtsetup.sif
missing or corrupt..status 4136 press any key to continue" and then
just black screen upon pressing a key.

Is it possible that I did something upon the restart (hit nothing
but F keys, F2, F8, F10 looking for the "boot in safe mode" screen...I
guess I messed up there, should have gone through MSConfig in Run menu
in hindsight)? When I put in the disk trying to fun Automated System
Recovery, it asks which Windows Installation I'd like to log into: C:
\minint or D:\WINDOWS. This is confusing to me. I've never seen C:
\minint before.

What I see on the net about that txtsetup.sif is that it may be a
memory problem,but that seems a bit too coincidental. Can anyone give
me an idea what I might try? Thanks.

Rich

db.·.. >

      13th Nov 2008