I know this is easy - re: address input

=?Utf-8?B?bmlnaHRyaWRlcmJsdWU=?=

      11th Apr 2007
I know this is going to be easy to answer . . I am just a little
technically-challenged

I am just inputting addresses into a table in Design view . . I want to make
it easier . . by setting certain fields to automatically capitalize all the
letters . . as well as the phone number field - inserting the hyphens and
brackets automatically into the correct positions. I also want to format the
Postal code field automatically to capitalize the letters and insert the
space . . but also alert me as to when I have entered it incorrectly.

I can do that right? And it is easy?

Thanks in advance for the help

John W. Vinson

      11th Apr 2007
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:12:01 -0700, nightriderblue
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know this is going to be easy to answer . . I am just a little
>technically-challenged
>
>I am just inputting addresses into a table in Design view . . I want to make
>it easier . . by setting certain fields to automatically capitalize all the
>letters . . as well as the phone number field - inserting the hyphens and
>brackets automatically into the correct positions. I also want to format the
>Postal code field automatically to capitalize the letters and insert the
>space . . but also alert me as to when I have entered it incorrectly.
>
>I can do that right? And it is easy?

Not in a table, no it isn't.

But Tables aren't designed for interacting with data; they're designed for
*storing* data.

Use a Form based on your table to enter the data. You will need a bit of Macro
or VBA programming to do some of these automatic things.

For phone numbers or postcodes you can use Input Masks to do the formatting
and prevent the entry of invalid values (not just warn but lock the user out
from typing it wrong).

See the online help for Mask, or post back for specific examples.

John W. Vinson [MVP]