PC Review

Acruncher

8th Oct 2011
http://fossforce.com/2011/10/the-dea...l-org-returns/

Quote:
Privacy Issues with Kindle Fire’s Silk Browser
Almost as soon as Amazon unveiled their new Kindle Fire tablet last Wednesday, Naked Security raised some privacy concerns about the device’s browser, called Silk. It seems the browser, in order to offer a quicker user experience, does most of it’s heavy lifting in the cloud:
“All web connections from your tablet will connect directly to Amazon, rather than the destination web page. Amazon will keep this connection between your Kindle Fire and EC2 open indefinitely while you are actively surfing, reducing the latency and connection times to retrieve web pages.”
Amazon’s terms and conditions state that URLs, IP addresses and MAC addresses will be logged and can be retained for as long as 30 days. Most problematic, however, is how the browser handles a secure HTTPS connection:
“It sounds as if Amazon will install a trusted certificate in the Silk browser allowing them to provide a man-in-the-middle (MITM) SSL proxy to accelerate your SSL browsing as well.
“As Amazon is a US based company this would enable a US court order to intercept and record your secure communications.”
The good news is that there is a mode available in the browser that bypasses the cloud and lets users connect directly with web sites. Although Amazon promises they’re collecting no identifyable user date with their logging, I would still recommend this mode, especially for secure connections.
Worth looking into if you are thinking of buying one. Don't know if this affects all Kindle's.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

Member Extraordinaire

8th Oct 2011
Very cheeky..

"Ironic, isn't it Smithers? This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you." -- Mr. Burns

Acruncher

8th Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
Very cheeky..
Slap on the wrists for you young man. There is nothing "Cheeky" about National Security.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."

8th Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarbarian View Post
Slap on the wrists for you young man. There is nothing "Cheeky" about National Security.
Well I guess they have lost the market in terrorism then huh?

lets face it they will have lost a massive market if they have incorporated all that crap into it. Naughty in my eyes

sugar 'n spikes

8th Oct 2011
Oddly enough I've just had a big row and a bit of a falling out with Amazon. Mostly not their fault, twas down to a crappy courier company (HDNL/Yodel) but I got somebody on the phone line at Amazon with the IQ of an amoeba.

I ended shouting at him 'For ****'s sake man, you are just not listening to me are you?' followed by 'Sorry about that, I lost my temper and swore'.

He replied 'That's ok Mr Flops, but the courier company said they tried to deliver it yesterday but you weren't in'

'What time does their delivery attempt show?'

'23.48'

'And what does that tell you?'

'That you were out'

*sob*

So, my plans to buy a Kindle are on ice, my refund from Amazon is estimated at 10 days and I found the goods cheaper at HMV and have now ordered them from HMV.

Never thought I'd see the day when Amazon cheesed me off, but it happened. I won't bore you with the full saga

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Acruncher

8th Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppybootstomp View Post

'What time does their delivery attempt show?'

'23.48'

'And what does that tell you?'

'That you were out'
I don't see why you are upset. Were you not still out at the pub when they tried to deliver

16th Nov 2011
Looks like an awesome device for $199!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarbarian View Post
http://fossforce.com/2011/10/the-dea...l-org-returns/kindle fire case

Worth looking into if you are thinking of buying one. Don't know if this affects all Kindle's.

Webmistress

16th Nov 2011
I'll be sticking with my regular Kindle then...

"Other girl's luxuries are my necessities, so buddy, beware!"

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: