For What kind of computer was Excel created?

ISAAC HAYES

      28th Jan 2008
For what kind of computer was Excel created?

FSt1

      28th Jan 2008
hi
originally it was created for the IBM architechture which became known as
the PC (personal computer). but that was back in 85 (about) and PC's have
change somewhat to accomadate the faster processers and other divices but i
think it is still the same basic architechture. excel was developed for the
mac which has a different architechture.

hope this cleared things up;
regards
FSt1

"ISAAC HAYES" wrote:

> For what kind of computer was Excel created?

lwm

      28th Jan 2008
I believe that Excel was originally designed for IBM and MSDOS. It was
originally called Multiplan. They needed to change the name in 85 as the
average person could not understand it.

I taught Lotus123, Supercalc, and Multiplan in the early 80's. I beleve
Visicalc was the only spreadsheet originally designed for the mac. If I am
in correct please correct me.

"FSt1" wrote:

> hi
> originally it was created for the IBM architechture which became known as
> the PC (personal computer). but that was back in 85 (about) and PC's have
> change somewhat to accomadate the faster processers and other divices but i
> think it is still the same basic architechture. excel was developed for the
> mac which has a different architechture.
>
> hope this cleared things up;
> regards
> FSt1
>
> "ISAAC HAYES" wrote:
>
> > For what kind of computer was Excel created?

Mike Middleton

      28th Jan 2008
lwm -

> I beleve Visicalc was the only spreadsheet originally designed for the
> mac. If I am in correct please correct me. <

VisiCalc was first released for the Apple II in 1979.

Apple introduced the Macintosh in 1984.

No version of VisiCalc was ever available for the Macintosh.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"lwm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I believe that Excel was originally designed for IBM and MSDOS. It was
> originally called Multiplan. They needed to change the name in 85 as the
> average person could not understand it.
>
> I taught Lotus123, Supercalc, and Multiplan in the early 80's. I beleve
> Visicalc was the only spreadsheet originally designed for the mac. If I
> am
> in correct please correct me.
>

> "FSt1" wrote:
>
>> hi
>> originally it was created for the IBM architechture which became known as
>> the PC (personal computer). but that was back in 85 (about) and PC's have
>> change somewhat to accomadate the faster processers and other divices but
>> think it is still the same basic architechture. excel was developed for
>> the
>> mac which has a different architechture.
>>
>> hope this cleared things up;
>> regards
>> FSt1
>>
>> "ISAAC HAYES" wrote:
>>
>> > For what kind of computer was Excel created?

Mike Middleton

      28th Jan 2008
ISAAC HAYES -

According to Wikipedia, "The first version of Excel was released for the Mac
in 1985 and the first Windows version ... was released in November 1987."

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"ISAAC HAYES" <ISAAC (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For what kind of computer was Excel created?

papou

      28th Jan 2008
Hello
> It was
> originally called Multiplan. They needed to change the name in 85 as the
> average person could not understand it.

I am not convinced this is the case.
To my opinion and based from my experience, Excel was designed as a new
product.
Multiplan was designed for MS DOS and was definitely a different product
from Excel.

Cordially
Pascal

"lwm" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
>I believe that Excel was originally designed for IBM and MSDOS. It was
> originally called Multiplan. They needed to change the name in 85 as the
> average person could not understand it.
>
> I taught Lotus123, Supercalc, and Multiplan in the early 80's. I beleve
> Visicalc was the only spreadsheet originally designed for the mac. If I
> am
> in correct please correct me.
>

> "FSt1" wrote:
>
>> hi
>> originally it was created for the IBM architechture which became known as
>> the PC (personal computer). but that was back in 85 (about) and PC's have
>> change somewhat to accomadate the faster processers and other divices but
>> think it is still the same basic architechture. excel was developed for
>> the
>> mac which has a different architechture.
>>
>> hope this cleared things up;
>> regards
>> FSt1
>>
>> "ISAAC HAYES" wrote:
>>
>> > For what kind of computer was Excel created?

lwm

      28th Jan 2008
Mike

Thanks for mentioning Wikipeida

Multiplan was an early spreadsheet program, following VisiCalc, developed by
Microsoft. Introduced in 1982, initially for computers running CP/M, it was
ported to a number of other operating systems including MS-DOS and Xenix.
Versions were also available for the Commodore 64, Texas Instruments
TI-99/4A, Radio Shack Model II, Apple II and Burroughs B-20 series of
personal computers. Multiplan for the Apple Macintosh was Microsoft's first
GUI spreadsheet - the others were text-based. Multiplan for the Macintosh was
the most successful spreadsheet for the early Mac.

Screenshot Multiplan in DOS.Outsold by Lotus 1-2-3 for several years,
Multiplan was the basis for Microsoft Excel which followed some years later
on both the Apple Macintosh (1985) and Microsoft Windows (1987).

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

> ISAAC HAYES -
>
> According to Wikipedia, "The first version of Excel was released for the Mac
> in 1985 and the first Windows version ... was released in November 1987."
>
> - Mike Middleton
> http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
> Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel
>

> "ISAAC HAYES" <ISAAC (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > For what kind of computer was Excel created?

Gord Dibben

      28th Jan 2008
http://www.dssresources.com/history/sshistory.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP