How to keep Windows clock accurate?

John Doe

      17th Dec 2011
Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
through the Internet?

Thanks.

Mike Easter

      17th Dec 2011
John Doe wrote:
> Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
> through the Internet?

Which Windows?

My XPs have an NTP/internet function.

These screenshots show it http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

That article suggests that it doesn't always work and also suggests
automachron http://csg.trinhall.cam.ac.uk/tips/ntp/winxp

On Win98se I used to use a little app I got from NIST which has
information on the subject http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm
Set your computer clock via the Internet
using tools built into the operating system

It is also informative to just wander around the NIST site.

--
Mike Easter

ToolPackinMama

      17th Dec 2011
On 12/17/2011 1:25 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
> through the Internet?

You can do that through the clock itself. Click clock on taskbar, link
at bottom, internet tab...

If your PC won't keep time, you might need to replace the CMOS battery.

John Doe

      17th Dec 2011
Not to take anything away from any current or future reply, but...
Instead of messing with the Windows utility like my subject line
suggests, I might try using a simple utility like DS Clock or
whatever.

DevilsPGD

      17th Dec 2011
In message <4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed)> someone
claiming to be John Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

>Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
>through the Internet?

Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
talking about.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Mike Easter

      17th Dec 2011
DevilsPGD wrote:
> John Doe
>
>> Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
>> through the Internet?

> Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
> automatically already, and I'm not really sure what calendar you're
> talking about.

Since the NTP time is expressed in the number of seconds and fractional
seconds since a specific date, its conversion to UTC results in a
fractional seconds and a calendar date as well. And leap seconds when
appropriate.

The local problems of dealing with one's timezone and its time/date as
well as daylight time adjustments are left to the individual.

--
Mike Easter

John Doe

      17th Dec 2011
DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <4eecde9f$0$2217$c3e8da3$88b277c5 news.astraweb.com>
> someone claiming to be John Doe <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> typed:
>
>>Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar,
>>like through the Internet?

> Syncs what exactly? Windows synchronizes the current time/date
> automatically already,

Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of **** clock and
calendar utility.

> and I'm not really sure what calendar you're talking about.

You might not be old enough to remember Windows XP, but it does
have a clock and calendar. If you are playing semantics, in fact
Windows XP Date and Time Properties fits the definition of
"calendar".

> It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
> steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

> From: DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage crazyhat.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> Subject: Re: How to keep Windows clock accurate?
> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 12:11:02 -0700

Mike Easter

      17th Dec 2011
xposting deleted, to achp-h only

John Doe wrote:

> Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of **** clock and
> calendar utility.

To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP date/time
worked for NTP, not that you were dissatisfied with it.

> Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and calendar, like
> through the Internet?

The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of Windows
you are using and what NTP agent functions you are already familiar.

What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One of the
places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was some problem
with it.

"Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
temperemental (sic) and does not always work."

But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

      17th Dec 2011
Mike Easter wrote:
> John Doe wrote:

> "Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system is
> temperemental (sic) and does not always work."
>
> But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST, except that they felt
> some necessity to provide their own Win32 app.

NIST also has a page that talks about firewall interference with good
NTP function http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/firewall.cfm There
are a number of points to consider if you have any type of firewall and
are planning to use it with the NIST Internet Time service.

They also have a recently updated page full of software providers for
NTP http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/softwarelist.cfm Publishers of
Time and Frequency Software

--
Mike Easter

John Doe

      17th Dec 2011
Mike Easter <MikeE ster.invalid> wrote:

> xposting deleted, to achp-h only
>
> John Doe wrote:
>
>> Windows XP Date and Time Properties is a piece of **** clock
>> and calendar utility.

> To me, your initial post looked like you didn't know how XP
> date/time worked for NTP,

Looks like you don't know how to write. Spell out acronyms the
first time you use them.

> not that you were dissatisfied with it.

I have always been dissatisfied with POS Microsoft utilities.
Microsoft's acquisition of Systernals is bewildering. Hopefully
Systernals influence is showing up in post-Windows XP. More likely
Microsoft will just crush them, intentionally or not.

>> Anybody know of a utility that syncs Windows clock and
>> calendar, like through the Internet?

> The replies you get will be best if you characterize which v. of
> Windows you are using and what NTP agent functions you are
> already familiar.

That is obscure.

Being a regular here, you should know that I run circles around
other Windows users. Otherwise, if you are addressing the average
reader, you need to write much more clearly.

Your obscure "NTP agent functions" should have nothing to do with
keeping correct time in Windows, given the correct time zone. If a
user accidentally clicks on one of the dates on Microsoft's POS
Date and Time Properties calendar, Microsoft's hideous logic
assumes that he is changing the date of the calendar. WHAT IDIOT
ON EARTH WANTS TO EASILY CHANGE THE DATE ON HIS CALENDAR TO
SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE ACTUAL DATE??? A troll might, Mikey, but
nobody else does. And then there's the fact that Microsoft's
calendar is otherwise useless. And yeah I know, a user can get his
own. Poor Microsoft, it might take a little programming to provide
a useful calendar function and a clock that keeps accurate time.
Poor poor Microsoft.

> What kind of trouble do you have with the default function? One
> of the places I was reading and link I gave indicated there was
> some problem with it.
>
> "Some people may find that Windows's time synchronisation system
> is temperemental (sic) and does not always work."
>
> But, I didn't find any mention of that at NIST,

Speech recognition would allow you to spell out acronyms without
much effort, assuming you can speak well enough.