Keep getting error 721

Nathan Thomas Sr

      30th Mar 2005
I'm having trouble trying to figure this one out.
I have enabled and configured RRAS on a win2k box running AD. Internet
connection is provided by DSL to a Linksys firewall, which have the proper
ports enabled and are being fwded to the Win2k server.
When I dial to a seperate ISP, then run the XP Pro created VPN connection,
it starts to connect...gets to verifying username/pw, then disconnects with
error 721.

I am unable to ping the static IP of the DSL router or connect to the
linksys config page, but am able to ping the IP of the DSL providers main
DNS server.

Thoughts?

Robert L [MS-MVP]

      30th Mar 2005
Souns like GRE issue.this page may help, http://www.chicagotech.net/VPN%20process.htm
Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
I recommend Brinkster for web hosting!

"Nathan Thomas Sr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:u$L$(E-Mail Removed)...
I'm having trouble trying to figure this one out.
I have enabled and configured RRAS on a win2k box running AD. Internet
connection is provided by DSL to a Linksys firewall, which have the proper
ports enabled and are being fwded to the Win2k server.
When I dial to a seperate ISP, then run the XP Pro created VPN connection,
it starts to connect...gets to verifying username/pw, then disconnects with
error 721.

I am unable to ping the static IP of the DSL router or connect to the
linksys config page, but am able to ping the IP of the DSL providers main
DNS server.

Thoughts?

Nathan Thomas Sr

      30th Mar 2005
Could be. GRE port 47 is enabled and being fwded to the RRAS server though.
The router is a Linksys WRT54G with a mid-level firmware. Going to upgrade that to the newest version since the release notes state the new firmware adds L2TP options, resolves some PPTP issues, etc.
The server also needs 40 some odd critical updates...I'm the new and only Sys.Admin this company has ever had...the fun is just starting.

Thanks for the link. I found a few hints from a search, which I should have done last night.
"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

It was my router firmware.

[...]

Bill Grant

      31st Mar 2005
You cannot "forward" GRE. GRE is IP protocol 47, it is not a port.

"Nathan Thomas Sr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
It was my router firmware.

http://www.ChicagoTech.net