Larry

      24th Dec 2008
I am trying to figure out why I keep getting prompted I need to d/l this
Security Update.
I have d/l'ed and installed it several times. It is not showing as an
installed d/l I can remove.
But looking at d/l'ed updates it is there a # of times. Any help is much
appreciated.

MowGreen [MVP]

      26th Dec 2008
Larry,

There is no KB9554430. Did you mean KB954430 ?
If yes, then see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Rename msxml4.dll by opening an Elevated Command Prompt [Start Search,
type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator'
follow the prompts ]
Do NOT reinstall KB9554430 when prompted to.
Download and *save* it:

Once the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
Clean Boot the system by disabling *all* non - MS services:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

*Right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ',
follow the prompts.
Reboot after it installs.
Reenable all non - MS services now.
Reboot once more.

Did that get it installed properly ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Larry wrote:

> I am trying to figure out why I keep getting prompted I need to d/l this
> Security Update.
> I have d/l'ed and installed it several times. It is not showing as an
> installed d/l I can remove.
> But looking at d/l'ed updates it is there a # of times. Any help is much
> appreciated.

Larry

      28th Dec 2008
MowGreen,

Yes I did have 1 too many 5's. It is kb954430. I didn't understand what you
meant by Elevated CMD Prompt.
I did Start-Search but was lost from there. I show For Files or Folders,
Using Outlook, For Inet Audio/Video or For People.
I went to article you pointed me to. I went to Start-Run and entered ren
%windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old.
It came back w/Windows can not find 'ren' (eventhough I had no ' '). Make
sure you typed name correctly & try again.
I even tried typing it, and got same msg. Did I miss something or do
something wrong?
Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry,
>
> There is no KB9554430. Did you mean KB954430 ?
> If yes, then see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
>
> Rename msxml4.dll by opening an Elevated Command Prompt [Start Search,
> type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator'
> follow the prompts ]
> Do NOT reinstall KB9554430 when prompted to.
> Download and *save* it:
>
> Once the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
> Clean Boot the system by disabling *all* non - MS services:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
>
> *Right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow
> the prompts.
> Reboot after it installs.
> Reenable all non - MS services now.
> Reboot once more.
>
> Did that get it installed properly ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Larry wrote:
>
>> I am trying to figure out why I keep getting prompted I need to d/l this
>> Security Update.
>> I have d/l'ed and installed it several times. It is not showing as an
>> installed d/l I can remove.
>> But looking at d/l'ed updates it is there a # of times. Any help is much
>> appreciated.

Larry

      29th Dec 2008
MOWGreen,
Maybe it Is good you haven't gotten to this yet. I have to correct it. I
made a sm. error in following the web link instruction.
I went from the run prompt of Windows itself vs. the CMD prompt. I did the
ren again and it came back 'access denied'.
So I went and searched out the file following the path. I found 3 files
w/that name. Each has a different date & file size.
They are 4/18/03 4:46pm appl. ext. 1205 kb 10/9/07 2:07pm appl. ext 44kb
and 4/18/03 4:29pm appl. ext 81kb.
Does this help diagnose any? There are a couple of dll files that appear to
be there more than once.
Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry,
>
> There is no KB9554430. Did you mean KB954430 ?
> If yes, then see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
>
> Rename msxml4.dll by opening an Elevated Command Prompt [Start Search,
> type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator'
> follow the prompts ]
> Do NOT reinstall KB9554430 when prompted to.
> Download and *save* it:
>
> Once the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
> Clean Boot the system by disabling *all* non - MS services:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
>
> *Right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow
> the prompts.
> Reboot after it installs.
> Reenable all non - MS services now.
> Reboot once more.
>
> Did that get it installed properly ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Larry wrote:
>
>> I am trying to figure out why I keep getting prompted I need to d/l this
>> Security Update.
>> I have d/l'ed and installed it several times. It is not showing as an
>> installed d/l I can remove.
>> But looking at d/l'ed updates it is there a # of times. Any help is much
>> appreciated.

MowGreen [MVP]

      30th Dec 2008
You need to run an ELEVATED Command Prompt or you will get an Access
Denied message, Larry. Please see my previous post to see learn how that
is accomplished.
Once you've renamed msxml4.dll from the Elevated CP, manually download
the update from the links I previously provided and *save it*.
Clean Boot the system now using the steps previously laid out.
This will stop all non - MS services from loading on boot.

Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and

Larry wrote:

> MOWGreen,
> Maybe it Is good you haven't gotten to this yet. I have to correct it. I
> made a sm. error in following the web link instruction.
> I went from the run prompt of Windows itself vs. the CMD prompt. I did
> the ren again and it came back 'access denied'.
> So I went and searched out the file following the path. I found 3 files
> w/that name. Each has a different date & file size.
> They are 4/18/03 4:46pm appl. ext. 1205 kb 10/9/07 2:07pm appl. ext
> 44kb and 4/18/03 4:29pm appl. ext 81kb.
> Does this help diagnose any? There are a couple of dll files that appear
> to be there more than once.
> Thanks
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Larry,
>>
>> There is no KB9554430. Did you mean KB954430 ?
>> If yes, then see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
>>
>> Rename msxml4.dll by opening an Elevated Command Prompt [Start Search,
>> type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as
>> administrator' follow the prompts ]
>> Do NOT reinstall KB9554430 when prompted to.
>> Download and *save* it:
>>

>> Once the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
>> Clean Boot the system by disabling *all* non - MS services:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
>>
>> *Right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ',
>> follow the prompts.
>> Reboot after it installs.
>> Reenable all non - MS services now.
>> Reboot once more.
>>
>> Did that get it installed properly ?
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Larry wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to figure out why I keep getting prompted I need to d/l
>>> this Security Update.
>>> I have d/l'ed and installed it several times. It is not showing as an
>>> installed d/l I can remove.
>>> But looking at d/l'ed updates it is there a # of times. Any help is
>>> much appreciated.

Larry

      30th Dec 2008
Ok MowGreen,

Please excuse my ignorance. This Is new to me. I still was still unclear on
your instruction. I did however do an Inet search on
"Elevated Command Prompt " and found a page explaining it a little better.
Now I am still unclear on what to rename.
If you see my prev. post you will see I have 3 - msxml4.dll files. Rename
them all or just the 1 large file?
I don't mind if you try walking me through things step by step as if I were
a total novice vs. Intermediate user.
Thanks again for your attn. to this problem.

"MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need to run an ELEVATED Command Prompt or you will get an Access
> Denied message, Larry. Please see my previous post to see learn how that
> is accomplished.
> Once you've renamed msxml4.dll from the Elevated CP, manually download the
> update from the links I previously provided and *save it*.
> Clean Boot the system now using the steps previously laid out.
> This will stop all non - MS services from loading on boot.
>
> Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and
> choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts.
> Reboot after it installs.
> Reenable all non - MS services now.
> Reboot once more.
>
> Did that get it installed properly ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Larry wrote:
>
>> MOWGreen,
>> Maybe it Is good you haven't gotten to this yet. I have to correct it. I
>> made a sm. error in following the web link instruction.
>> I went from the run prompt of Windows itself vs. the CMD prompt. I did
>> the ren again and it came back 'access denied'.
>> So I went and searched out the file following the path. I found 3 files
>> w/that name. Each has a different date & file size.
>> They are 4/18/03 4:46pm appl. ext. 1205 kb 10/9/07 2:07pm appl. ext 44kb
>> and 4/18/03 4:29pm appl. ext 81kb.
>> Does this help diagnose any? There are a couple of dll files that appear
>> to be there more than once.
>> Thanks
>>
>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Larry,
>>>
>>> There is no KB9554430. Did you mean KB954430 ?
>>> If yes, then see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729
>>>
>>> Rename msxml4.dll by opening an Elevated Command Prompt [Start Search,
>>> type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator'
>>> follow the prompts ]
>>> Do NOT reinstall KB9554430 when prompted to.
>>> Download and *save* it:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>>>
>>> Once the download completes close all open browsers and programs.
>>> Clean Boot the system by disabling *all* non - MS services:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
>>>
>>> *Right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and choose 'Run as admin ', follow
>>> the prompts.
>>> Reboot after it installs.
>>> Reenable all non - MS services now.
>>> Reboot once more.
>>>
>>> Did that get it installed properly ?
>>>

>>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>> ===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>> ===============

MowGreen [MVP]

      1st Jan 2009
Just rename msxml4.dll at the Elevated Command Prompt, Larry. No need to
specify anything but that specific file. There is only one copy by that
name in system32.

> Start Search, type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as administrator' follow the
> prompts

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Larry wrote:

> Ok MowGreen,
>
> Please excuse my ignorance. This Is new to me. I still was still
> unclear on your instruction. I did however do an Inet search on
> "Elevated Command Prompt " and found a page explaining it a little
> better. Now I am still unclear on what to rename.
> If you see my prev. post you will see I have 3 - msxml4.dll files.
> Rename them all or just the 1 large file?
> I don't mind if you try walking me through things step by step as if I
> were a total novice vs. Intermediate user.
> Thanks again for your attn. to this problem.
>

> "MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> You need to run an ELEVATED Command Prompt or you will get an Access
>> Denied message, Larry. Please see my previous post to see learn how
>> that is accomplished.
>> Once you've renamed msxml4.dll from the Elevated CP, manually download
>> the update from the links I previously provided and *save it*.
>> Clean Boot the system now using the steps previously laid out.
>> This will stop all non - MS services from loading on boot.
>>
>> Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe
>> and choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts.
>> Reboot after it installs.
>> Reenable all non - MS services now.
>> Reboot once more.
>>
>> Did that get it installed properly ?
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Larry wrote:
>>
>>> MOWGreen,
>>> Maybe it Is good you haven't gotten to this yet. I have to correct
>>> it. I made a sm. error in following the web link instruction.
>>> I went from the run prompt of Windows itself vs. the CMD prompt. I
>>> did the ren again and it came back 'access denied'.
>>> So I went and searched out the file following the path. I found 3
>>> files w/that name. Each has a different date & file size.
>>> They are 4/18/03 4:46pm appl. ext. 1205 kb 10/9/07 2:07pm appl. ext
>>> 44kb and 4/18/03 4:29pm appl. ext 81kb.
>>> Does this help diagnose any? There are a couple of dll files that
>>> appear to be there more than once.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Larry

      1st Jan 2009
Happy New Yr.
Now, I did the rename w/no prob. What was throwing me off was when you were
saying Start Search. I am used to Start > Run > Cmd (or whatever).
Now when I go through the steps of a clean boot I have another item that
doesn't match. I went to msconfig.
Under General tab I checked Selective Startup, then unchecked load startup
items. Load system services is still checked.
When I go to the Services tab and checked Hide all MS svcs. I can only
enable not disable them. I have d/l'ed the file already.
For now I guess I'll just set it back to do a Normal startup. I don't think
I missed anything, did I?
I am trying to follow the links you gave me.

Thanks again for all your time.

"MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just rename msxml4.dll at the Elevated Command Prompt, Larry. No need to
> specify anything but that specific file. There is only one copy by that
> name in system32.
>
>> Start Search, type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as
>> administrator' follow the prompts

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Larry wrote:
>
>> Ok MowGreen,
>>
>> Please excuse my ignorance. This Is new to me. I still was still unclear
>> on your instruction. I did however do an Inet search on
>> "Elevated Command Prompt " and found a page explaining it a little
>> better. Now I am still unclear on what to rename.
>> If you see my prev. post you will see I have 3 - msxml4.dll files.
>> Rename them all or just the 1 large file?
>> I don't mind if you try walking me through things step by step as if I
>> were a total novice vs. Intermediate user.
>> Thanks again for your attn. to this problem.
>>

>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> You need to run an ELEVATED Command Prompt or you will get an Access
>>> Denied message, Larry. Please see my previous post to see learn how that
>>> is accomplished.
>>> Once you've renamed msxml4.dll from the Elevated CP, manually download
>>> the update from the links I previously provided and *save it*.
>>> Clean Boot the system now using the steps previously laid out.
>>> This will stop all non - MS services from loading on boot.
>>>
>>> Once the system has restarted, *right* click msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe and
>>> choose 'Run as admin ', follow the prompts.
>>> Reboot after it installs.
>>> Reenable all non - MS services now.
>>> Reboot once more.
>>>
>>> Did that get it installed properly ?
>>>

>>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>> ===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>> ===============

Larry

      1st Jan 2009
MowGreen, Just for the check of it I went to try the install. It came up
w/3 options. Modify, Repair, remove.
Which do I use, repair? Remove would take it out totally. If I use remove,
rerun the install from Update?
I wanted to check w/you before attempting this. Thanks again

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Happy New Yr.
> Now, I did the rename w/no prob. What was throwing me off was when you
> were saying Start Search. I am used to Start > Run > Cmd (or whatever).
> Now when I go through the steps of a clean boot I have another item that
> doesn't match. I went to msconfig.
> Under General tab I checked Selective Startup, then unchecked load startup
> items. Load system services is still checked.
> When I go to the Services tab and checked Hide all MS svcs. I can only
> enable not disable them. I have d/l'ed the file already.
> For now I guess I'll just set it back to do a Normal startup. I don't
> think I missed anything, did I?
> I am trying to follow the links you gave me.
>
> Thanks again for all your time.
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just rename msxml4.dll at the Elevated Command Prompt, Larry. No need to
>> specify anything but that specific file. There is only one copy by that
>> name in system32.
>>
>>> Start Search, type in command, *right click* command and choose 'Run as
>>> administrator' follow the prompts

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> Larry wrote:
>>
>>> Ok MowGreen,
>>>
>>> Please excuse my ignorance. This Is new to me. I still was still
>>> unclear on your instruction. I did however do an Inet search on
>>> "Elevated Command Prompt " and found a page explaining it a little
>>> better. Now I am still unclear on what to rename.
>>> If you see my prev. post you will see I have 3 - msxml4.dll files.
>>> Rename them all or just the 1 large file?
>>> I don't mind if you try walking me through things step by step as if I
>>> were a total novice vs. Intermediate user.
>>> Thanks again for your attn. to this problem.
>>>

>>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

MowGreen [MVP]

      2nd Jan 2009
HNY to you, too. What happens if you choose Modify, Larry ? Does it give
you the option of installing msxml4-KB954430-enu.exe ? If not, then
choose Repair.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten