PC Review

Karmic Koala

sugar 'n spikes

27th Oct 2009
Interesting article about Ubuntu.

Version 9.10 released in 2 days time.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Subarctic Penguin

27th Oct 2009
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/u...ew-karmic.html

Registered Linux User #423160 ... Registered Insane Linux User #003 ... Registered Ubuntu User #4219

Acruncher

30th Oct 2009
http://unixlab.blogspot.com/2009/10/...mic-koala.html

"Ubuntu one is a free on line file sharing service offered by Canonical. The newly released ubuntu 9.10 has Ubuntu One tightly integrated with it. For using this service , you have to sign up with Ubuntu one. Click on this link and fill in the details to get a free account which can hold upto 2 GB. A mail will come to you mail account asking you to confirm the subscription."

Yes it is true you not only get a free OS but you can get 2GB of free on-line storage too. Windows 7 eat your heart out.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

Acruncher

30th Oct 2009
"So you've just installed Ubuntu 9.10, the cute and cuddly Karmic Koala, but now you're confronted with a most pertinent question, "What do i do now?" Ubuntu is a very complete and full-featured Linux distribution, but no operating system can come with everything you want. There's much more fun to be had in what comes after installing the OS on your machine: now you get to set it up with all the best software it didn't already come with! This list of the top things to do immediately after installing your newly acquired copy of Ubuntu doubles as a general list of great software to try out and use, complete with links to any special instructions on how to set them up, Terminal commands for those who prefer a command-line interface (CLI), and when available, personal package archives (PPA), repositories to keep the applications at their newest version, not just the security updates provided for you by default. Repositories can be added easily by clicking the "Add..." button in the "Other Software" tab of Software Sources and entering the provided APT Line. Feel free to pick and choose; enjoy!"

http://www.reddit.com/tb/9z2xk/

Excellent clear guide for those new to Ubuntu.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."

sugar 'n spikes

30th Oct 2009
That is, of course, if you're able to actually install any apps without totally crippling the enitire OS.

And even if you're lucky or clever enough to install something, applying the updates and getting it to work is very much a hit and miss affair.

My observations based entirely on my own experience with various Linux Distros

I start a thread on a new Linux distribution and still Abarbarian manages to bash Windows. Predictable.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Banned

30th Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by floppybootstomp

And even if you're lucky or clever enough to install something, applying the updates and getting it to work is very much a hit and miss affair.

And thats pretty much why I gave up on tryng Linux out...

Acruncher

30th Oct 2009
Quote:

I start a thread on a new Linux distribution and still Abarbarian manages to bash Windows.
Predictable.
Hmm lets look at this again.

I post two very good links to help anyone wishing to try out Karmic Kola. That seems to be in the spirit of the thread to me.

I post a "FACT" about an usefull addition to Karmic Kola " Yes it is true you not only get a free OS but you can get 2GB of free on-line storage too."That too seems to be in the spirit of the thread to me aswell.

As to my comment " Windows 7 eat your heart out " Do Windows 7 offer free on-line storage ? Does windows 7 cost zero ie:FREE or does it cost a rather hefty amount of loot? After looking at the facts my comment as it was intended to be could be viewed as "pocking fun at Microsoft" rather than Microsoft bashing.
As I have not highlighted any shortcomings of Windows 7 (thats if there are any) and simply pointed out that Windows 7 costs money and does not have free on-line storage as part of its package I don't realy see how that can be construed as "bashing"

sugar 'n spikes

30th Oct 2009
For those so inclined, such a comment might trigger a spate of Linux vs Windows arguments, which I, for one, am heartily sick of.

I realised you were perhaps only having a joke but comments like that can antagonise the wrong type of people.

And I am having a severe case of Mr Grumpiness just lately, not sure why, maybe it's cos winter is with us.

Let's sum it up:

1) Windows: easy to use operating system that will get most of the things you want to do done, including lots of new games but supplied at high cost by the biggest bunch of crooks on the planet who have the moral values of those at a party hosted for solicitors, traffic wardens and estate agents.

2) Linux: Operating system that works well supplied, written and supported mostly by a thoroughly nice bunch of people with their hearts in the right places but unless you are prepared to spend lots of time studying, experimenting, getting frustrated and knowing that if you persevere you will likely have gained the knowledge over inumerable hours that is probably the equivalent of a Masters Degree.

Take yer pick

Neither, overall, is better than the other imo.

Who mentioned Panther?

Subarctic Penguin

30th Oct 2009
Quote:

Who mentioned Panther?
Rilke, methinks.

Quote:
Sein Blick ist vom Vorübergehn der Stäbe
so müd geworden, daß er nichts mehr hält.
Ihm ist, als ob es tausend Stäbe gäbe
und hinter tausend Stäben keine Welt.

Registered Linux User #423160 ... Registered Insane Linux User #003 ... Registered Ubuntu User #4219

Acruncher

30th Oct 2009
http://unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/5...0-karmic-koala

"Great themes for Ubuntu 9.04 and ubuntu9.10 Karmic Koala

There are 10 nice themes to be installed by adding a repository and by a simple command :

sudo apt-get install <theme-name>"

Just in case folk are bored with brown.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: