Jmicron eSATA controller

Al

      9th Nov 2009
Hi Folks,

I have a JMB36X Jmicron onboard (motherboard) eSATA controller.

I am trying to use it with a Icy Dock MB881US-1S-1 SATA hard drive
dock. This hard drive dock has the option to connect to my motherboard
via eSATA. Kewl I thought.

I firstly changed the bios options to enable eSATA controller and to
use AHCI mode.

I plugged a drive in and the drive showed up in windows (7) explorer,
and I could browse the contents of the drive, although sometimes
explorer folders had a very annoying pause before displaying contents
of several seconds.

Now comes the really stink bit, I wanted to backup the contents of the
drive. I tried both acronis and drive image xml and both failed at the
point where it actually started to backup the data.

It failed in that nothing happened and eventually the operation times
out.

I tried to update the Jmicron driver in windows 7 and the driver
updated ok (from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/ )
and I got to version :

JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.51_WHQL.zip

But I still cant update drives connected with this dock.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

-Al

Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)

      9th Nov 2009
Al wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a JMB36X Jmicron onboard (motherboard) eSATA controller.
>
> I am trying to use it with a Icy Dock MB881US-1S-1 SATA hard drive
> dock. This hard drive dock has the option to connect to my motherboard
> via eSATA. Kewl I thought.

Just in case:
Does it require a patch SATA cable from a normal SATA port to the eSATA
port?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.31-14-generic

Al

      9th Nov 2009
On Nov 10, 2:04*am, "Man-wai Chang to The Door (+MS=32B)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Al wrote:
> > Hi Folks,

> > I have a JMB36X Jmicron onboard (motherboard) eSATA controller.

> > I am trying to use it with a Icy Dock MB881US-1S-1 SATA hard drive
> > dock. This hard drive dock has the option to connect to my motherboard
> > via eSATA. Kewl I thought.

> Just in case:
> Does it require a patch SATA cable from a normal SATA port to the eSATA
> port?

No - there is a native esata port on the back of the mobo.

-Al