IPv6 step by step

sysadmin

      3rd Jul 2005
Are there any tutorial labs/step-by-step guides on implementing IPv6 on
Windows 2000/XP/2003?

I'd like to set up a small test network with Windows machines and not use
IPv4 at all. Using only IPv6, I'd like to learn how to configure
TCP/IP settings, ping, tracert, nslookups, etc.

fyi I already know how to do this under IPv4.

Ron Lowe

      3rd Jul 2005
"sysadmin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any tutorial labs/step-by-step guides on implementing IPv6 on
> Windows 2000/XP/2003?
>
> I'd like to set up a small test network with Windows machines and not use
> IPv4 at all. Using only IPv6, I'd like to learn how to configure
> TCP/IP settings, ping, tracert, nslookups, etc.
>
> fyi I already know how to do this under IPv4.

Start here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...6/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._lab_node.mspx

You will need to reduce your ambitions a bit at the moment.

XP supports IPv6 for some functions, but not all.
For example, it does not support file+print sharing over IPv6.
Also, the DNS client can only query over IPv4, even though it can handle
IPv6 addresses in the reply.

So you are not going to be able to loose IPv4 yet.

Server2003 adds IPv6 support a little further, and Longhorn is meant to
provide IPv6 support across all the whole platform. We shall see.

--
Best Regards
Ron Lowe

sysadmin

      4th Jul 2005
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 12:27:56 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

> "sysadmin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are there any tutorial labs/step-by-step guides on implementing IPv6 on
>> Windows 2000/XP/2003?
>>
>> I'd like to set up a small test network with Windows machines and not use
>> IPv4 at all. Using only IPv6, I'd like to learn how to configure
>> TCP/IP settings, ping, tracert, nslookups, etc.
>>
>> fyi I already know how to do this under IPv4.

> Start here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...6/default.mspx
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._lab_node.mspx
>

> You will need to reduce your ambitions a bit at the moment.
>
> XP supports IPv6 for some functions, but not all.
> For example, it does not support file+print sharing over IPv6.
> Also, the DNS client can only query over IPv4, even though it can handle
> IPv6 addresses in the reply.
>
> So you are not going to be able to loose IPv4 yet.
>
> Server2003 adds IPv6 support a little further, and Longhorn is meant to
> provide IPv6 support across all the whole platform. We shall see.

Thanks, Ron.

I'll check out those links.
Looks like I'll have to wait for Longhorn to get some practical experience
with IPv6.

=?Utf-8?B?RmFoZWVtIFMuTS4=?=

      30th Aug 2005
Hi,
In connection to this question, I need a little help too.
I got IPv6 installed, then removed the IPv4 from the networking prooperties
for the NIC. From that point onward the nic is not taking the link local
address ..FE80:.... . Once I place the TCPIP Ver 4 back I get both the
address i.e. APIPA and Link Local for IPv6. Do I need to keep both the
protocols together, even to ping on IPv6. Thanks. Faheem (Sec E-mail :
(E-Mail Removed))