IPCONFIG is not recognized as an internal or external command...

KingDox

      10th Aug 2003
I just upgraded win98 to windows xp and my DSL stoped
working. Well I called my isp and they told me to run
command window and run ipconfig, well I got an error
saying:

IPCONFIG is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file

My ISP dignostic software tells me my IP is all zeros. I
did some research on this and found it could be a problem
with my PATH command not pointing to the right directory.
But I'm not really sure how to fix that. Some help would
be fantastic.

Will Denny

      10th Aug 2003
Hi

From a command prompt type "path" - without the quotes. If 'windows\system32' doesn't show, you can add it to the 'path' statement by right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Next, click on the 'Environment Variables...' button. After that highlight the path statement in the lower box and then click the 'Edit' button. Add ';%systemroot%\system32' - without the quotes - to the end of the path statement. You will then have to reboot your PC for the addition to take effect.

Any problems, please post back.

Will

"KingDox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:039701c35f02$32dfb1c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just upgraded win98 to windows xp and my DSL stoped
> working. Well I called my isp and they told me to run
> command window and run ipconfig, well I got an error
> saying:
>
> IPCONFIG is not recognized as an internal or external
> command, operable program or batch file
>
> My ISP dignostic software tells me my IP is all zeros. I
> did some research on this and found it could be a problem
> with my PATH command not pointing to the right directory.
> But I'm not really sure how to fix that. Some help would
> be fantastic.

---

Kingdox

      10th Aug 2003
The strange thing is that %systemroot%\system32 is listed
already as variable value. It's even the first one listed,
I added it again to the end and it still won't work.

My variable values are as follows
%systemroot%\system32
;c:\cpqs\savrest
;c:\cpqs\Tools
;%systemroot%\command
;%systemroot%
;%systemroot%\system32\wbem
;"C:\executive software\diskeeperlite\"
;%systemroot%\system32\wbem

typing path in a dos window gives me

Path=c:\cpqs\savrest
;c:\cpqs\Tools
;C:\windows\command
;C:\windows\
;c:\cpqs\savrest
;c:\cpqs\Tools
;C:\windows\command
;C:\windows\

so typing path gives me redundent entries and others that
are not there. I don't really know where to go from here.
The help you've given so far has been appriciated.

Will Denny

      10th Aug 2003
Hi

I'm not sure what else to suggest - perhaps you could try posting your problem in the microsoft.public.windows.network_web news group.

Will

"Kingdox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:029f01c35f18$6d4750f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The strange thing is that %systemroot%\system32 is listed
> already as variable value. It's even the first one listed,
> I added it again to the end and it still won't work.
>

> My variable values are as follows
> %systemroot%\system32
> ;c:\cpqs\savrest
> ;c:\cpqs\Tools
> ;%systemroot%\command
> ;%systemroot%
> ;%systemroot%\system32\wbem
> ;"C:\executive software\diskeeperlite\"
> ;%systemroot%\system32\wbem
>

> typing path in a dos window gives me
>
> Path=c:\cpqs\savrest
> ;c:\cpqs\Tools
> ;C:\windows\command
> ;C:\windows\
> ;c:\cpqs\savrest
> ;c:\cpqs\Tools
> ;C:\windows\command
> ;C:\windows\
>

> so typing path gives me redundent entries and others that
> are not there. I don't really know where to go from here.
> The help you've given so far has been appriciated.

---

Buddy

      10th Aug 2003
Try typing this in instead of just ipconfig.
goto start/run. type in cmd.
this will bring up a dos window.
at the dos prompt type in ipconfig /all
this should give you all of the ip information you could
possibly want.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

      10th Aug 2003
Hi,

Is there anything in the user variables (top section), other than temp
settings?

Also, Locate autoexec.nt, open it in notepad and see if there are any PATH
statements.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kingdox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:029f01c35f18$6d4750f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The strange thing is that %systemroot%\system32 is listed
> already as variable value. It's even the first one listed,
> I added it again to the end and it still won't work.
>

> My variable values are as follows
> %systemroot%\system32
> ;c:\cpqs\savrest
> ;c:\cpqs\Tools
> ;%systemroot%\command
> ;%systemroot%
> ;%systemroot%\system32\wbem
> ;"C:\executive software\diskeeperlite\"
> ;%systemroot%\system32\wbem
>

> typing path in a dos window gives me
>
> Path=c:\cpqs\savrest
> ;c:\cpqs\Tools
> ;C:\windows\command
> ;C:\windows\
> ;c:\cpqs\savrest
> ;c:\cpqs\Tools
> ;C:\windows\command
> ;C:\windows\
>

> so typing path gives me redundent entries and others that
> are not there. I don't really know where to go from here.
> The help you've given so far has been appriciated.

Dave

      14th Aug 2003
I had a similar problem. There is probably a fault with the Path.
If you go to Start - Run - cmd and type "cd\" at the prompt, you
should get C:\> then type CD windows , and then CD system32.
Then try your ipconfig again.

I fixed mine by going to start - settings - control panel - system -
advanced- envronmental variables - select "path" under "system
variables" and click "edit". In the "variable value box" edit or
change it to read
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem

Mine had a lot of stuff after "wbem" which I deleted, which I'm not
sure how important it was, but I have not seen any problem so far.

There is some reference to this in this Microsoft article:

New Member

      20th Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDox
I just upgraded win98 to windows xp and my DSL stoped
working. Well I called my isp and they told me to run
command window and run ipconfig, well I got an error
saying:

IPCONFIG is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file

My ISP dignostic software tells me my IP is all zeros. I
did some research on this and found it could be a problem
with my PATH command not pointing to the right directory.
But I'm not really sure how to fix that. Some help would
be fantastic.

Try this solution...This worked for me!!!!!

Go to My Computer-> right click-> Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables->System variables and locate "PATH". Add C:\windows\system32 at the end if it is not already there.

New Member

      19th Aug 2007
I had this issue recently and I resolved it as follows.

Checking the path attribute from dos read the correct path settings, so did the path in the environment settings from within the system properties. However I checked the following registry key and observed that Diskeeper had added itself to the end of the string with it's own installation path "C:\Program Files\Diskeeper'. Upon removal of this entry the programs located in the system32 folder were functional again.

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\Path'

In breif:
1. Navigate to the above registry key
2. Be sure to remove any 'extra' entries that may have been added
3. Test to see if your paths from DOS are now functional

I've not tested Diskeeper since this change though, not sure if it broke anything yet.

New Member

      21st Aug 2010
Hi to all
what a intelligent people you are all........ by just gothroughing your posts..... i solved my problem......

i learned that... those who installs java JDK ... must go to c:\windows\system32 to utilise the network commands.

am i right????