Internet Explorer 'Hangs Up' under XP

ss

      3rd Jul 2004
Internet Explorer 'Hangs Up' under XP

I recently Upgraded to Windows XP Professional from Windows 98 (First
Edition). Most everything went smoothly except for my web access. I use a
fiber optic cable modem and LAN. I've used this for 2+ years under Win98
with no problem. My current problem is that when I log onto the internet
everything works well for about 5 minutes. Then my web browser stops
functioning and I get the dreaded "cannot connect to this..." page.
Interestingly enough I still have internet access because I can ping my ISP
without difficulty. Once I reboot I'm good for another 3 to 5 minutes
before my browser hangs up. All other programs on the computer work fine
and don't hang up. I tried to reinstall Internet Explorer 6.0 from the
Microsoft web site but receive the message: "A newer version is already
installed." Then, the install program terminates.

I think the problem is in the XP program.

What is the experience in running the Windows XP Pro upgrade program again?
I hate to do this but unless I get some good advice I may have to.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Sal <(E-Mail Removed)>

Saturday, July 3, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

Quaoar

      3rd Jul 2004
ss wrote:
> Internet Explorer 'Hangs Up' under XP
>

> I recently Upgraded to Windows XP Professional from Windows 98 (First
> Edition). Most everything went smoothly except for my web access. I
> use a fiber optic cable modem and LAN. I've used this for 2+ years
> under Win98 with no problem. My current problem is that when I log
> onto the internet everything works well for about 5 minutes. Then my
> web browser stops functioning and I get the dreaded "cannot connect
> to this..." page. Interestingly enough I still have internet access
> because I can ping my ISP without difficulty. Once I reboot I'm good
> for another 3 to 5 minutes before my browser hangs up. All other
> programs on the computer work fine and don't hang up. I tried to
> reinstall Internet Explorer 6.0 from the Microsoft web site but
> receive the message: "A newer version is already installed." Then,
> the install program terminates.
>
> I think the problem is in the XP program.
>
> What is the experience in running the Windows XP Pro upgrade program
> again? I hate to do this but unless I get some good advice I may have
> to.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sal <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Saturday, July 3, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

Disable 802.11x Authentication in your network setup. Do not crosspost
the universe. Bad form

Chris Russell

      4th Jul 2004
Try this first:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=ie600

Chris

"ss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:M8DFc.49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Internet Explorer 'Hangs Up' under XP
>

> I recently Upgraded to Windows XP Professional from Windows 98 (First
> Edition). Most everything went smoothly except for my web access. I use

> fiber optic cable modem and LAN. I've used this for 2+ years under Win98
> with no problem. My current problem is that when I log onto the internet
> everything works well for about 5 minutes. Then my web browser stops
> functioning and I get the dreaded "cannot connect to this..." page.
> Interestingly enough I still have internet access because I can ping my

ISP
> without difficulty. Once I reboot I'm good for another 3 to 5 minutes
> before my browser hangs up. All other programs on the computer work fine
> and don't hang up. I tried to reinstall Internet Explorer 6.0 from the
> Microsoft web site but receive the message: "A newer version is already
> installed." Then, the install program terminates.
>
> I think the problem is in the XP program.
>
> What is the experience in running the Windows XP Pro upgrade program

again?
> I hate to do this but unless I get some good advice I may have to.
>
> All suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sal <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> Saturday, July 3, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

Bad2@magikcharts.com

      5th Jul 2004
I have a similar problem: the Win Explorer hangs after a
hour or so when you try to expand another line, and it
takes a long long time to display the file contents of
any line. Additionally, access to network printers
fails. Rebooting solves the problem for another couple
of hours. Only XP machines on the network have this
problem (two Win2K servers, two XP, one Linux, one NT).
Likewise, I'm looking for a solution. I don't think
reloading XP or Win Explorer will solve the problem.