Internal Domain name same as External website

JimBee

      25th Jun 2007
I have a W2K domain with a domain name "name.com". When my users go to our
company website which is not hosted in house, they must type in the "www"
for the site to come up. If they just type "name.com" or http://name.com, it
does not come up..

Is there something I can do to fix this? Any help is mucho appreciated.

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      25th Jun 2007
Read inline please.

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
JimBee <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> I have a W2K domain with a domain name "name.com". When my users go
> to our company website which is not hosted in house, they must type
> in the "www" for the site to come up. If they just type "name.com" or
> http://name.com, it does not come up..
>
> Is there something I can do to fix this? Any help is mucho
> appreciated.

The only way to access the web site is with the www, because the domain name
must resolve to the IP addresses of all Domain Controllers that have file
sharing enable. This is so the DFS shares, \\name.com\sysvol and
\\name.com\netlogon are accessible to all domain member clients.
There is a fairly easy workaround, if you have IIS installed on your DCs,
you can configure a web site for name.com, then on the Home Directory tab of
that site, select redirection to a URL and enter http://www.name.com in the
field that opens. Otherwise, without the DCs redirecting the site, you'll
have to use www.name.com.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
http://support.wftx.us/
http://message.wftx.us/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

=?Utf-8?B?TUFSS19DVA==?=

      4th Aug 2007
Is there a MS Tech note that addresses this, my internal domain name is
domain.com , external www.domain.com. How do I access the external site from
internal computers.? need to setup DNS forwarding??

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> Read inline please.
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> JimBee <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> > I have a W2K domain with a domain name "name.com". When my users go
> > to our company website which is not hosted in house, they must type
> > in the "www" for the site to come up. If they just type "name.com" or
> > http://name.com, it does not come up..
> >
> > Is there something I can do to fix this? Any help is mucho
> > appreciated.

> The only way to access the web site is with the www, because the domain name
> must resolve to the IP addresses of all Domain Controllers that have file
> sharing enable. This is so the DFS shares, \\name.com\sysvol and
> \\name.com\netlogon are accessible to all domain member clients.
> There is a fairly easy workaround, if you have IIS installed on your DCs,
> you can configure a web site for name.com, then on the Home Directory tab of
> that site, select redirection to a URL and enter http://www.name.com in the
> field that opens. Otherwise, without the DCs redirecting the site, you'll
> have to use www.name.com.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
>
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> http://support.wftx.us/
> http://message.wftx.us/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      5th Aug 2007
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
MARK_CT <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Is there a MS Tech note that addresses this, my internal domain name
> is domain.com , external www.domain.com. How do I access the external
> site from internal computers.? need to setup DNS forwarding??
>
> "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Read inline please.
> >
> > In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> > JimBee <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> > > I have a W2K domain with a domain name "name.com". When my users
> > > go to our company website which is not hosted in house, they must
> > > type in the "www" for the site to come up. If they just type
> > > "name.com" or http://name.com, it does not come up..
> > >
> > > Is there something I can do to fix this? Any help is mucho
> > > appreciated.

> > The only way to access the web site is with the www, because the
> > domain name must resolve to the IP addresses of all Domain
> > Controllers that have file sharing enable. This is so the DFS
> > shares, \\name.com\sysvol and \\name.com\netlogon are accessible to
> > all domain member clients.
> > There is a fairly easy workaround, if you have IIS installed on
> > your DCs, you can configure a web site for name.com, then on the
> > Home Directory tab of that site, select redirection to a URL and
> > enter http://www.name.com in the field that opens. Otherwise,
> > without the DCs redirecting the site, you'll have to use
> > www.name.com.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> > Hope This Helps
> >
> > ===================================
> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group"
> > via your newsreader so that others may learn and
> > benefit from your issue, to respond directly to
> > me remove the nospam. from my email address.
> > ===================================
> > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> > http://support.wftx.us/
> > http://message.wftx.us/
> > ===================================
> > Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> > It will strip signature out and more
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> > ===================================
> > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders
> > with OEBackup:
> > http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> > ===================================

No, there is no tech article that addresses this. Here is a copy/paste of a
post I just replied to someone else with this same issue. It has similar if
not the same info Kevin jsut replied to the other poster with.

/start re-post:
-------------------------
Common scenario with an easy fix.

Two choices:

1. Obtain the IP address of the external web server. Then under your
mydomain.com zone, right-click, new Host, type in www (without the quotes),
and provide the IP address you obtained. To allow users to get to it using
http://mydomain.com (without the www portion), on your DC and every DC (this
is because of the LdapIpAddress, or the 'same as parent' record), go into
IIS, under the default website properties, home Directory tab, setup a
redirect to www.mydomain.com.

2. Find out who the external authorative name servers are for the domain.
Then right-click your internal zone mydomain.com, New, Delegation, then
provide it with a www, then for the name servers, provide the authorative
name servers you obtained. This will allow for the hosting company to
occasionally change the webserver's IP address and you will still get to the
site. Yea, some ISPs do that and don't tell you. You will also need to do
the
redirect explained in Step#1 to make http://mydomain.com work.
--------------------------
/end re-post

--
Regards,
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Try using Outlook Express or any other newsreader, configure a news
account, and point it to news.microsoft.com. Anonymous access. It's
easy and it's free:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates or a bowl of cherries or
peaches... Life is more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today
may burn your butt tomorrow." - Garfield

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

      5th Aug 2007
Read inline please.

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Ace Fekay [MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

> 2. Find out who the external authorative name servers are for the
> domain. Then right-click your internal zone mydomain.com, New,
> Delegation, then provide it with a www, then for the name servers,
> provide the authorative name servers you obtained. This will allow
> for the hosting company to occasionally change the webserver's IP
> address and you will still get to the site. Yea, some ISPs do that
> and don't tell you. You will also need to do the
> redirect explained in Step#1 to make http://mydomain.com work.
> --------------------------
> /end re-post

Ace, before they create the delegation, they need to check that the External
hosting provider for DNS isn't using a CNAME record for www, sometimes this
record points to the root of the domain name ie. "mydomain.com", if they do
this, due to the CNAME record they still get the DC's address for
www.nydomain.com. Other times, I've seen the www.mydomain.com record at the
external hosting provider point to someotherdomain.com. If this is the case,
all you need to do is create the same CNAME record, pointing to
someotherdomain.com.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
http://support.wftx.us/
http://message.wftx.us/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      5th Aug 2007
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

> Ace, before they create the delegation, they need to check that the
> External hosting provider for DNS isn't using a CNAME record for www,
> sometimes this record points to the root of the domain name ie.
> "mydomain.com", if they do this, due to the CNAME record they still
> get the DC's address for www.nydomain.com. Other times, I've seen the
> www.mydomain.com record at the external hosting provider point to
> someotherdomain.com. If this is the case, all you need to do is
> create the same CNAME record, pointing to someotherdomain.com.

Good point. Many hosting providers are doing this now and it complicates
things.

Thanks!