Intelligent lookup of a suburb

Mike Langensiepen

      28th May 2007
I'd like to be able to do an intelligent lookup of a suburb and then have
the postcode automatically show in another cell. I can do the vlookup of the
postcode once i have the suburb but I'd prefer not to have to use a dropdown
box for the suburb (there are THOUSANDS!)

Any suggestions? - in an access database I have it 'suggesting' suburbs as
you type - can you do something similar in Excel?

Thanks

Mike

Don Guillett

      28th May 2007
You could use a worksheet_change event that fires when you type in the name.
Or dropdowns that bring up other dropdowns upon selecting the 1st letter, ??

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Mike Langensiepen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:465a7c05$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to be able to do an intelligent lookup of a suburb and then have
> the postcode automatically show in another cell. I can do the vlookup of
> the postcode once i have the suburb but I'd prefer not to have to use a
> dropdown box for the suburb (there are THOUSANDS!)
>
> Any suggestions? - in an access database I have it 'suggesting' suburbs as
> you type - can you do something similar in Excel?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

=?Utf-8?B?SkxhdGhhbQ==?=

      31st May 2007
You might look at http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html - drop down to the
'D' list and check out some of the various Data Validation options. Pay
particular attention to the ones mentioning using either a Combo box or as
'dependent lists'?

"Mike Langensiepen" wrote:

> I'd like to be able to do an intelligent lookup of a suburb and then have
> the postcode automatically show in another cell. I can do the vlookup of the
> postcode once i have the suburb but I'd prefer not to have to use a dropdown
> box for the suburb (there are THOUSANDS!)
>
> Any suggestions? - in an access database I have it 'suggesting' suburbs as
> you type - can you do something similar in Excel?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

Mike Langensiepen

      2nd Jun 2007
Contextures has been very helpful so far - I'll take another look. Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...