Installshield: Unable to Create Installdriver Instance

Joel F

      6th Jan 2004
I've never had installshield fail on me...until now.

The full text of the error message:
"Unable to create installdriver instance. Return code -
2147024894".

How I got this message:
After upgrading from WinME to WinXP, I attempted to
install a new program (iTunes 4.1 for Windows by Apple)
which gave me the error message above.

I tried installing software through "Add or Remove
Programs" on the Control Panel.
I tried running the setup program directly from the
iTunes cd.
I tried both methods using different cd's.
I tried both methods using a version downloaded from the
Apple website.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

JF

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

      6th Jan 2004
Hi Joel,

Try cleaning up the installer.

Start/run services.msc, scroll down to "Windows Installer" and double click
it. Stop the service if it is running, set the startup type line to
disabled. Click apply/ok and reboot.

Delete the contents of the temp folders, there may be a file in there
interfering with the setup routine of the installer. Get both:

C:\Windows\temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp

Now reverse the first set of steps and reenable the Windows Installer (You
can just set the startup type to manual). Reboot.

Turn off all other running programs, especially your antivirus software. Use
ctrl+shift+escape, if necessary, to "end task" on everything.

Now retry installing some software.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

news:098b01c3d437$3090ed80$(E-Mail Removed)...