Installing XP on a Compaq nc6220

BillW50

      14th Apr 2012
In news:4f89d993$(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org,
Hot-Text wrote:
> news:jmba2l$onl$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sonnich Jensen wrote:

>>> The bios is vry simple but there is a HD test, last 30 mins, and the
>>> HD is ok
>>>
>>> There is not much to set up in the bios...
>>>
>>> Sonnich

>> Have you tried testing with a Linux LiveCD ? You're not limited
>> to Windows for testing.

> Paul he say:
> bios Live setup test..
>
> Is not a Linux or a Windows for test..

Sure he did, at least later. Paul also claims that if the BIOS can't see
it then the drive is defective too. That isn't true either. As I have
drives that my BIOS can't see and there are nothing wrong with them. It
is just the BIOS isn't smart enough to know any better.

--
Bill

Paul

      14th Apr 2012
Sonnich Jensen wrote:
> On Apr 14, 10:47 am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Sonnich Jensen wrote:
>>> The bios is vry simple but there is a HD test, last 30 mins, and the
>>> HD is ok
>>> There is not much to set up in the bios...
>>> Sonnich

>> Have you tried testing with a Linux LiveCD ? You're not limited
>> to Windows for testing.

> Somehow I am - I dont have a linux cd

If you're on dialup, then don't bother with this approach.

If you have broadband Internet (cable TV modem or ADSL modem), then
download a CD from here.

(Take "10.04LTS" version, for the easy to understand user interface.
The 32 bit version will run on more hardware, if you choose it.
Many of these downloads, will be in the 700MB size region.)

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

There are 500 different Linux distributions, and that is just one
of them. When 10.04LTS is no longer supported, I will no longer
be promoting that site.

I use things like that, mainly for testing, or for special (hacking)
projects. My regular desktop is not Linux.

Your laptop, is potentially a "business laptop" and has a TPM chip.
A previous owner may have installed some kind of security software,
and TPM can be used to enforce the need for a password, or for
preventing anything but the original OS from loading.

There are many more "failure" scenarios for used business laptops, than for
other laptops. For example, the BIOS of the laptop, could
do MBR substitution during the boot process, to support more
than four primary partitions. Only an "IT guy" can keep track
of stuff like this (fixing business laptops every day).

Paul