Installing Windows XP Pro

Dan Salmon

      13th Sep 2003
I presently have Win 98(SE), which is used for a few games. I have Win2K
Pro installed (which is my primary OS).

Can I install Windows XP Pro on my machine?

Thanks,
Dan Salmon

Dan Salmon

      15th Sep 2003
I would like to run all 3, trying to figure out if it is possible?

Thanks,
Dan.

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings --
>
> Certainly, provided your PC meets WinXP's system requirements.
> Are you thinking replacing both current operating systems, upgrading
> just one of the current operating systems, or triple-booting?
>

> Bruce Chambers
>
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. -- RAH
>

> "Dan Salmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I presently have Win 98(SE), which is used for a few games. I have

> Win2K
> > Pro installed (which is my primary OS).
> >
> > Can I install Windows XP Pro on my machine?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan Salmon

Dan Salmon

      15th Sep 2003
Thanks Jonathan. I will try your recommendation. Will post the results.

Dan,

"Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uR7H%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> If you want to run 3 OSes (add XP) then I recommend that you not install

it
> on a partition that already has Windows installed. If you have free space
> on a partitioned disk that you want to install Windows on, then you can
> resize the partition by using BootIt Next Generation available as

shareware
> (buy it if you like it) from www.terabyteunlimited.com
>
> --
> --Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server]
> http://www.imbored.biz - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step
> tutorial site :-)
> Only reply by newsgroup. If I see an email I didn't ask for, it will be
> deleted without reading.
>

> "Dan Salmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > To answer Bruce's question. Yes I would like to triple boot all 3.
> >
> > Dan,
> >
> > "Dan Salmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I would like to run all 3, trying to figure out if it is possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dan.
> > >
> > > "Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

have

Bruce Chambers

      16th Sep 2003
Greetings --

The simplest way I've found to multi-boot between Win9x/Me, Win2K
& WinXP would be to partition your drive roughly as follows:

Primary Partition:
C: FAT32 Win9x

Extended Partition:

1st Logical Drive D: NTFS Win2K
2nd Logical Drive E: NTFS WinXP

Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
applications.

Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.) You need
only format the Win9x partition at this time, the Win2K/XP
installations can format their own respective partitions as part of
their setup routines.

Install Win9x first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" when asked
for the default Windows directory. When you subsequently install
Win2K/XP, be sure to specify "D:\Winnt" and D:\Windows," as
preferred/applicable) when asked for the default Windows directory, to
place them on the other partitions. The Win2K/XP installation routines
will automatically set up the Multi-boot menu for you. The default
settings for this menu can be readily edited from within Win2K/XP.

This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
second and/or third operating system(s) on the second hard drive. Just
remember to keep each OS in its own partition.

It is also possible to have a 4th partition for shared
applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
uninstall it from the second/third OS, having already deleted crucial
installation data during the first uninstall action.

Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t/mltiboot.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../multiboot.asp

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Dan Salmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to run all 3, trying to figure out if it is possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan.
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Greetings --
> >
> > Certainly, provided your PC meets WinXP's system requirements.
> > Are you thinking replacing both current operating systems,

upgrading
> > just one of the current operating systems, or triple-booting?
> >

> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > --
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> > having both at once. -- RAH
> >

> > "Dan Salmon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I presently have Win 98(SE), which is used for a few games. I

have
> > Win2K
> > > Pro installed (which is my primary OS).
> > >
> > > Can I install Windows XP Pro on my machine?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dan Salmon

Dan Salmon

      16th Sep 2003