When installing a number of apps, does it make any difference if youwait reboot?

Doc

      19th Sep 2011
Running XP Pro, SP3. Just did a clean reinstall and reinstalling a
number of apps.

I notice some ask you to reboot, some don't. Does it make any
difference if you wait to reboot after installing all the apps or
should you reboot after each one? Could it cause problems if you
don't?

Thanks.

Doc

      19th Sep 2011
On Sep 18, 11:46*pm, Doc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Running XP Pro, SP3. Just did a clean reinstall and reinstalling a
> number of apps.

If it makes a difference, some of the installed items are various .NET
framework version and service packs, C++ Redistributable etc.

Paul Dodd

      25th Sep 2011
In theory it might cause a problem.

Say you are running verion A of a library. You install a program and it
installs version B but A is in use so the change won't show up until you
reboot. A third program might think you are running A and install itself
to cope with that rather than version B which you will be on when you do
reboot.

This though is mostly a theoretical problem. It would rarely happen and
lots of programs ask for a reboot they don't really need.

I usually compromise. When doing a mass reinstall I don't reboot after
every new program install but do when a few have asked me to.