Installing English version of Windows XP on a Japanese computer

=?Utf-8?B?Ui5CLkJhaWxleQ==?=

      17th Jun 2006
I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version Windows
XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive couldn't
be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive is
found?
--
R.B.

DL

      17th Jun 2006
Perhaps you need to use the F6 option, early in the installation, to install
third party drivers, eg sata/raid, from floppy

"R.B.Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version

Windows
> XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
> booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive

couldn't
> be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive

is
> found?
> --
> R.B.

=?Utf-8?B?Ui5CLkJhaWxleQ==?=

      17th Jun 2006
I tried the F6 key, but got the same result
--
R.B.

"DL" wrote:

> Perhaps you need to use the F6 option, early in the installation, to install
> third party drivers, eg sata/raid, from floppy
>
> "R.B.Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version

> Windows
> > XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
> > booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive

> couldn't
> > be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive

> is
> > found?
> > --
> > R.B.

Bruce Chambers

      17th Jun 2006
R.B.Bailey wrote:
> I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version Windows
> XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
> booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive couldn't
> be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive is
> found?

Very early in the boot process, just after having booted from the WinXP
CD, the screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is examining
your system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the
*manufacturer's* WinXP-specific English drivers for your SATA, IDE, or
RAID controller available on a floppy disk.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF0YWJhc2ViZW4=?=

      17th Jun 2006
i would fdisk that drive and reformat it with the "AMERICAN" file system.
you simply do not know what you have.............

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> R.B.Bailey wrote:
> > I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version Windows
> > XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
> > booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive couldn't
> > be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive is
> > found?

> Very early in the boot process, just after having booted from the WinXP
> CD, the screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is examining
> your system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the
> *manufacturer's* WinXP-specific English drivers for your SATA, IDE, or
> RAID controller available on a floppy disk.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF0YWJhc2ViZW4=?=

      17th Jun 2006
have you tried running windows setup from the desktop...?

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> R.B.Bailey wrote:
> > I have just bought a Fujitsu CE50S7 Desktop with a Japanese version Windows
> > XP pre-installed. I tried to install my English version of Windows XP by
> > booting from the CD, but I got a message stating that the hard drive couldn't
> > be found, and aborted the setup. What can I do to make sure the hard drive is
> > found?

> Very early in the boot process, just after having booted from the WinXP
> CD, the screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is examining
> your system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the
> *manufacturer's* WinXP-specific English drivers for your SATA, IDE, or
> RAID controller available on a floppy disk.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

      17th Jun 2006
databaseben wrote:
> i would fdisk that drive and reformat it with the "AMERICAN" file system.
> you simply do not know what you have.............

You're kidding, right? "American file system?"

And, fyi, FDisk is an old MS-DOS utility that is neither available or
needed in WinXP. All legitimate WinXP installation CDs are bootable and
have the capability of deleting, creating, and formatting partitions.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

      17th Jun 2006
databaseben wrote:
> have you tried running windows setup from the desktop...?

And just how, pray tell, would that help the OP install drivers that
clearly don't come on the WinXP CD?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF0YWJhc2ViZW4=?=

      17th Jun 2006
when you run windows setup from within the windows desktop, setup analyzes
the system. it just be that the setup will be able to load some of those
files onto the harddisk to prepare and initiate an install upon reboot......
there is a harddisk on the system but it appears that the problem is that
only the japanese version of windows recognizes it. .....

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> databaseben wrote:
> > have you tried running windows setup from the desktop...?
> >

> And just how, pray tell, would that help the OP install drivers that
> clearly don't come on the WinXP CD?
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF0YWJhc2ViZW4=?=

      17th Jun 2006
oh yeh, i almost forgot. but when you run windows setup from the desktop,
there is also a selection that analyzes the computer to see if its windows xp
ready. this can identify what hardware will pose a problem for the
repair/reinstallation.