Installing CD-burner

Andreas Grimne Hjortland

      25th Dec 2004
Hi.

I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
a Crest cabinet today. There was only one slight problem, I couldn't
find any way to fix the burner to the cabinet.

The burner has holes for screws on its side, and the proper screws are
included. There is however no place to put these screws in the cabinet.
A CD-reader in the machine can be pulled out in front by squeezing
together two metal objects, one on each side of the drive.

I probably need some sort of a frame, does anyone know anything about this?

Andreas.

Jan Alter

      25th Dec 2004
Sounds like you need another set of those squeezable objects or rails for
your particular case. Don't you just love those propriatory cases? Compaq
used to do that routine and one would have to order their set of specialized
torx screw headed rails for $20 a pop. One quickly learned how to adapt
plexiglass and wood shims to accommodate the necessity.

--
Jan Alter
(E-Mail Removed)
wrote in message news:41ccae5c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with a
> Crest cabinet today. There was only one slight problem, I couldn't find
> any way to fix the burner to the cabinet.
>
> The burner has holes for screws on its side, and the proper screws are
> included. There is however no place to put these screws in the cabinet. A
> CD-reader in the machine can be pulled out in front by squeezing together
> two metal objects, one on each side of the drive.
>
> I probably need some sort of a frame, does anyone know anything about
> this?
>
> Andreas.

Andreas Grimne Hjortland

      25th Dec 2004
Jan Alter wrote:
> One quickly learned how to adapt plexiglass and wood shims to accommodate the necessity.

Making a couple of holes in the cabinet should do it. I was hoping for a
cheap, easy and working solution, though. Crap.

Jan Alter

      25th Dec 2004
I think you just found one.

--
wrote in message news:41ccc2bd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jan Alter wrote:
>> One quickly learned how to adapt plexiglass and wood shims to accommodate
>> the necessity.

> Making a couple of holes in the cabinet should do it. I was hoping for a
> cheap, easy and working solution, though. Crap.

Jerry G.

      25th Dec 2004
You must have a propriatory machine, such as a DELL, or a Compaque, or
something else similar. I would suggest calling the computer manufacture to
order a kit to do this type of installation. Or, you can drill some holes,
and do a makeshift job.

Since your machine sounds like it may be propriatory, did you determine if
the drive will function on your machine without too many problems?

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Andreas Grimne Hjortland" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:41ccae5c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
> a Crest cabinet today. There was only one slight problem, I couldn't
> find any way to fix the burner to the cabinet.
>
> The burner has holes for screws on its side, and the proper screws are
> included. There is however no place to put these screws in the cabinet.
> A CD-reader in the machine can be pulled out in front by squeezing
> together two metal objects, one on each side of the drive.
>
> I probably need some sort of a frame, does anyone know anything about

this?

> Andreas.

Martin

      25th Dec 2004
An old Compaq i recently worked on was similar.

The original CD-ROM had two stubby screws in each side where the mounting
screws would normally go.
It then slid into a rail - guided by the heads of these screws.

Took me a few minutes to realise that some extra (unused) 'stubby' screws
were located in the front of the pc's chassis.
They'd included another four or six - anticipating future upgrades :-)

Martin.

"Jan Alter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Sounds like you need another set of those squeezable objects or rails for
> your particular case. Don't you just love those propriatory cases? Compaq
> used to do that routine and one would have to order their set of

specialized
> torx screw headed rails for $20 a pop. One quickly learned how to adapt
> plexiglass and wood shims to accommodate the necessity.
>

> --
> Jan Alter
> (E-Mail Removed)
> or
> (E-Mail Removed)
> "Andreas Grimne Hjortland" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:41ccae5c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi.
> >
> > I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with

> > Crest cabinet today. There was only one slight problem, I couldn't find
> > any way to fix the burner to the cabinet.
> >
> > The burner has holes for screws on its side, and the proper screws are
> > included. There is however no place to put these screws in the cabinet.

> > CD-reader in the machine can be pulled out in front by squeezing

together
> > two metal objects, one on each side of the drive.
> >
> > I probably need some sort of a frame, does anyone know anything about
> > this?
> >
> > Andreas.

Andreas Grimne Hjortland

      25th Dec 2004
Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
> I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
> a Crest cabinet today.

<http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>

This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

Martin

      25th Dec 2004

wrote in message news:41cd4272$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
> > I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
> > a Crest cabinet today.

> <http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>
>
> This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
> anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

Presumably you're adding the CD writer to the PC and leaving the current
CD-ROM drive installed too?

So you can't simply reuse the rails on the CD-ROM??

Martin.

Andreas Grimne Hjortland

      25th Dec 2004
Martin wrote:
> Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
>
>> Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
>>
>>> I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC with
>>> a Crest cabinet today.

>> <http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>
>>
>> This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
>> anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

> Presumably you're adding the CD writer to the PC and leaving the current
> CD-ROM drive installed too?
>
> So you can't simply reuse the rails on the CD-ROM??

I'm afraid so. However I'm hoping the manufacturer will get back to me
in a couple of days.

John McGaw

      25th Dec 2004
Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
> Andreas Grimne Hjortland wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a BenQ CD-burner, and tried to install it in a PC
>> with a Crest cabinet today.

> <http://www.chieftec.de/?page=manual_cd_rom&language=uk>
>
> This is the cabinet I have. The slide rails don't seem to be included
> anywhere. I've tried to contact the manufacturer.

IME cases that use proprietary slides and rails usually come with enough
to fill most if not all of the mounting locations. But sometimes they do
get lost along the way. I've actually fabricated slides for friends from
wood -- hard maple being an excellent choice. I've known others who had
access to the proper tools to make them from acrylic or polycarbonate
plastic sheets. But of course if you can actually get the manufacturer
to respond that would be best.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]