How to install x86 .inf file over Windows 7 64 bit?

Interceptor

      11th Aug 2009
I had USB scanner UMAX Astra 4500.
Hardware info:
USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10&REV_0000
USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10
There is no drivers under Windows 7 64 bit.

I founded some drivers via internet:

1. Windows XP x86 driver v.2.6 http://www.yamada.de/ftp/Astra4500xp26.exe
(inf file inside)
2. Windows Vista x86 driver v2.6. http://www.yamada.de/ftp/A4500wv.zip
(inf file inside)
3. Windows XP x86 driver http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...20astra%204500
(inf file inside)

When I try to install any of this files through Install menu over inf
file I got error: The INF file your selected does not support this
method of installation.

If I try to search driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse for
driver software on your computer (include subfolders) I got: Windows
could not find driver software for you device.

If I try to manually install driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Let me
pick from a list ... -> Show All devices Next -> Have disk -> Select
Astra4500.inf -> Ok: The folder you specified doesn't contain a
compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a
driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based
systems.

I also request UMAX support, but they told that doesn't support more
this product
How I can install .inf file through troubleshot mode (I know such way
for exe installers: http://www.techspot.com/blog/354/no-...-using-vistas/
?

Thanks a lot.

Carlos

      11th Aug 2009

Interceptor,
x86 drivers can't be installed in any way on x64 systems, not even by
tweaking the inf file.
Something that could work would be to install a Virtual Machine inside
Windows 7 x64, setup an x86 OS inside the VM and install the scanner software
there.
Carlos

"Interceptor" wrote:

> I had USB scanner UMAX Astra 4500.
> Hardware info:
> USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10&REV_0000
> USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10
> There is no drivers under Windows 7 64 bit.
>
> I founded some drivers via internet:
>
> 1. Windows XP x86 driver v.2.6 http://www.yamada.de/ftp/Astra4500xp26.exe
> (inf file inside)
> 2. Windows Vista x86 driver v2.6. http://www.yamada.de/ftp/A4500wv.zip
> (inf file inside)
> 3. Windows XP x86 driver http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...20astra%204500
> (inf file inside)
>
> When I try to install any of this files through Install menu over inf
> file I got error: The INF file your selected does not support this
> method of installation.
>
> If I try to search driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse for
> driver software on your computer (include subfolders) I got: Windows
> could not find driver software for you device.
>
> If I try to manually install driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Let me
> pick from a list ... -> Show All devices Next -> Have disk -> Select
> Astra4500.inf -> Ok: The folder you specified doesn't contain a
> compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a
> driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based
> systems.
>
> I also request UMAX support, but they told that doesn't support more
> this product
> How I can install .inf file through troubleshot mode (I know such way
> for exe installers: http://www.techspot.com/blog/354/no-...-using-vistas/
> ?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Dominic Payer

      11th Aug 2009
The Astra 4500 is a very old scanner and Umax never produced any 64-bit
drivers.

It is not supported for 64-bit even by Vuescan
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#umax as it would require a
manufacturer produced WIA driver.

Silverfast http://www.silverfast.com/product/Umax/262/en.html supports
it, but at the price you would do much better buying a new scanner.

On 11/08/2009 10:51, Interceptor wrote:
> I had USB scanner UMAX Astra 4500.
> Hardware info:
> USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10&REV_0000
> USB\VID_0638&PID_0A10
> There is no drivers under Windows 7 64 bit.
>
> I founded some drivers via internet:
>
> 1. Windows XP x86 driver v.2.6 http://www.yamada.de/ftp/Astra4500xp26.exe
> (inf file inside)
> 2. Windows Vista x86 driver v2.6. http://www.yamada.de/ftp/A4500wv.zip
> (inf file inside)
> 3. Windows XP x86 driver http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...20astra%204500
> (inf file inside)
>
> When I try to install any of this files through Install menu over inf
> file I got error: The INF file your selected does not support this
> method of installation.
>
> If I try to search driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse for
> driver software on your computer (include subfolders) I got: Windows
> could not find driver software for you device.
>
> If I try to manually install driver: Driver -> Update Driver -> Let me
> pick from a list ... -> Show All devices Next -> Have disk -> Select
> Astra4500.inf -> Ok: The folder you specified doesn't contain a
> compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a
> driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based
> systems.
>
> I also request UMAX support, but they told that doesn't support more
> this product
> How I can install .inf file through troubleshot mode (I know such way
> for exe installers: http://www.techspot.com/blog/354/no-...-using-vistas/
> ?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Dave T.

      11th Aug 2009
Dominic Payer wrote:
> The Astra 4500 is a very old scanner and Umax never produced any 64-bit
> drivers.
>
> It is not supported for 64-bit even by Vuescan
> http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#umax as it would require a
> manufacturer produced WIA driver.
>
> Silverfast http://www.silverfast.com/product/Umax/262/en.html supports
> it, but at the price you would do much better buying a new scanner.

May be an error. See the legend.

http://www.silverfast.com/product/Umax/262/en.html

This says no compatibility with vista 32 or 64 bit.

Dave T.
(who hates top-posting)