Install Error - Required data was not placed into memory error

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya1NK?=

      25th Apr 2006
I'm trying to install Vista Feb CTP onto a blank unformatted HDD. The DVD
boots up ok but when I click on the install button - it takes me to the
window where you enter the product key and the following dialog appears :-

setup.exe - Application Error
Instruction at 0x1fee7a6d referenced memory at 0x0329bd0f. The required
data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x0000010.

I've seen a few posts about it being picky on how Vista is installed. I
managed it on a different machine ok but I can't be certain whether the other
machine had a formatted HDD or not.

On a slightly different note - if I get this installed, I have an XP install
on a different physical disk. Is it possible to add the XP to Vista's OS
bootup menu option.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

      26th Apr 2006
Hi Mark,

Windows Vista currently does not support installing on RAW disk, please
install on a logical NTFS partition. I think you should have the option
though during setup to use the SHIFT + F10 and partition the drive and
select the partition to install the OS.

If you are dual booting with XP, you should be able to find your legacy
version of Windows (XP) under the Earlier Versions of Windows menu. Vista
defaults to Microsoft Windows on the Boot Manager, use the Up Arrow on your
keyboard to navigate.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"MarkSJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to install Vista Feb CTP onto a blank unformatted HDD. The DVD
> boots up ok but when I click on the install button - it takes me to the
> window where you enter the product key and the following dialog appears :-
>
> setup.exe - Application Error
> Instruction at 0x1fee7a6d referenced memory at 0x0329bd0f. The required
> data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of
> 0x0000010.
>
> I've seen a few posts about it being picky on how Vista is installed. I
> managed it on a different machine ok but I can't be certain whether the
> other
> machine had a formatted HDD or not.
>
> On a slightly different note - if I get this installed, I have an XP
> install
> on a different physical disk. Is it possible to add the XP to Vista's OS
> bootup menu option.
>
> Any assistance would be most appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya1NK?=

      26th Apr 2006
Hi,

I've just tried this on a different machine with a blank HDD (unformatted)
and it works fine. There are options to partition and format the disk after
the product key dialog. I was thinking unsupported or faulty hardware
(possibly the DVD drive) although my XP runs no problems!! Any ideas?

Hardware specs as follows :-

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe M/Board
P4 3.0Ghz
1GB RAM (OCZ DDR400)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB Video Card
2 x 80GB Maxtor SATA HDD

Many thanks ...

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Windows Vista currently does not support installing on RAW disk, please
> install on a logical NTFS partition. I think you should have the option
> though during setup to use the SHIFT + F10 and partition the drive and
> select the partition to install the OS.
>
> If you are dual booting with XP, you should be able to find your legacy
> version of Windows (XP) under the Earlier Versions of Windows menu. Vista
> defaults to Microsoft Windows on the Boot Manager, use the Up Arrow on your
> keyboard to navigate.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "MarkSJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm trying to install Vista Feb CTP onto a blank unformatted HDD. The DVD
> > boots up ok but when I click on the install button - it takes me to the
> > window where you enter the product key and the following dialog appears :-
> >
> > setup.exe - Application Error
> > Instruction at 0x1fee7a6d referenced memory at 0x0329bd0f. The required
> > data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of
> > 0x0000010.
> >
> > I've seen a few posts about it being picky on how Vista is installed. I
> > managed it on a different machine ok but I can't be certain whether the
> > other
> > machine had a formatted HDD or not.
> >
> > On a slightly different note - if I get this installed, I have an XP
> > install
> > on a different physical disk. Is it possible to add the XP to Vista's OS
> > bootup menu option.
> >
> > Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Jason

      26th Apr 2006
Isn't there a selection for maybe 3rd party drivers on that same screen?
Maybe it needs some added support for your HDD.

--
Jason

Applied but still waiting to be accepted for the Vista Beta Testing group.
Can't wait to be able to play and help make it even better.

http://www.orderpcs4free.com/?r=878

"MarkSJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I've just tried this on a different machine with a blank HDD (unformatted)
> and it works fine. There are options to partition and format the disk
> after
> the product key dialog. I was thinking unsupported or faulty hardware
> (possibly the DVD drive) although my XP runs no problems!! Any ideas?
>
> Hardware specs as follows :-
>
> Asus P4C800-E Deluxe M/Board
> P4 3.0Ghz
> 1GB RAM (OCZ DDR400)
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB Video Card
> 2 x 80GB Maxtor SATA HDD
>
> Many thanks ...
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Windows Vista currently does not support installing on RAW disk, please
>> install on a logical NTFS partition. I think you should have the option
>> though during setup to use the SHIFT + F10 and partition the drive and
>> select the partition to install the OS.
>>
>> If you are dual booting with XP, you should be able to find your legacy
>> version of Windows (XP) under the Earlier Versions of Windows menu. Vista
>> defaults to Microsoft Windows on the Boot Manager, use the Up Arrow on
>> your
>> keyboard to navigate.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "MarkSJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm trying to install Vista Feb CTP onto a blank unformatted HDD. The
>> > DVD
>> > boots up ok but when I click on the install button - it takes me to the
>> > window where you enter the product key and the following dialog appears
>> > :-
>> >
>> > setup.exe - Application Error
>> > Instruction at 0x1fee7a6d referenced memory at 0x0329bd0f. The
>> > required
>> > data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of
>> > 0x0000010.
>> >
>> > I've seen a few posts about it being picky on how Vista is installed.
>> > managed it on a different machine ok but I can't be certain whether the
>> > other
>> > machine had a formatted HDD or not.
>> >
>> > On a slightly different note - if I get this installed, I have an XP
>> > install
>> > on a different physical disk. Is it possible to add the XP to Vista's
>> > OS
>> > bootup menu option.
>> >
>> > Any assistance would be most appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFya1NK?=

      27th Apr 2006
Fixed it. It was the DVD drive itself that was playing up. I've switched it
for another drive and it has all installed ok.

Thanks ...