Insert an Oval picture into a Word Document?

Patti Barden

      10th Jun 2004
W97, W98SE
Can anyone tell me how to insert an oval picture into a Word document and
have the text wrap around the oval shape?

I have a portrait in the oval shape but when inserted it goes in as a square
(white around oval). I have tried putting the oval shape on a transparent
background but same thing happens.

Any help appreciated. (Am I in the right newsgroup for this question?)
Patti

garfield-n-odie

      11th Jun 2004
Hi Patti.

Is the picture truly oval, or did it start out as a rectangular photo that you
cropped into an oval shape? If it is the latter, then there is still a
rectangular background that you can't see, and that's why Word is wrapping text
around it as though the photo were square.

But there is a way to create a truly oval shape that Word *will* tightly wrap
text around. On the Drawing toolbar, there is an Oval autoshape tool. Use it
to draw an oval shape of your choice. Adjust the height and width of the oval
to the final size you need before continuing to the next step. Click on Format
| Autoshape | Wrapping tab | Wrapping style: Tight. Click on the Colors and
Lines tab, then on the black triangle to the right of the Fill Color box, and in
the drop-down menu click on Fill Effects. Click on the Picture tab, and then
the Select Picture button. Browse to your photo file (the original one would
probably be better, but the oval one might work). Click on OK. The oval shape
you drew is now filled with the photo you selected. At this point you can still
reposition the oval shape, but resizing the shape non-proportionally will
distort the inserted photo.

Hope this helps. garfield-n-odie

Patti Barden wrote:

> W97, W98SE
> Can anyone tell me how to insert an oval picture into a Word document and
> have the text wrap around the oval shape?
>
> I have a portrait in the oval shape but when inserted it goes in as a square
> (white around oval). I have tried putting the oval shape on a transparent
> background but same thing happens.
>
> Any help appreciated. (Am I in the right newsgroup for this question?)
> Patti

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      11th Jun 2004
Just a suggestion to add to g-n-o's excellent instructions: to make sure
that your oval AutoShape is the same shape as your oval photo (since any
difference will cause distortion in the photo when you use it as fill), you
might want to insert the photo (in line with text) and use it as a guide
when drawing the AutoShape. After you get the oval tweaked to the right
shape, you can delete the photo.

This technique is such a clever one that I really kicked myself when I first
learned of it--*after* I had laboriously masked and trimmed a bunch of
scanned oval photos and been unable to apply borders to them except by
drawing AutoShapes over them!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"garfield-n-odie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Patti.
>
> Is the picture truly oval, or did it start out as a rectangular photo that

you
> cropped into an oval shape? If it is the latter, then there is still a
> rectangular background that you can't see, and that's why Word is wrapping

text
> around it as though the photo were square.
>
> But there is a way to create a truly oval shape that Word *will* tightly

wrap
> text around. On the Drawing toolbar, there is an Oval autoshape tool.

Use it
> to draw an oval shape of your choice. Adjust the height and width of the

oval
> to the final size you need before continuing to the next step. Click on

Format
> | Autoshape | Wrapping tab | Wrapping style: Tight. Click on the Colors

and
> Lines tab, then on the black triangle to the right of the Fill Color box,

and in
> the drop-down menu click on Fill Effects. Click on the Picture tab, and

then
> the Select Picture button. Browse to your photo file (the original one

would
> probably be better, but the oval one might work). Click on OK. The oval

shape
> you drew is now filled with the photo you selected. At this point you can

still
> reposition the oval shape, but resizing the shape non-proportionally will
> distort the inserted photo.
>
> Hope this helps. garfield-n-odie
>

> Patti Barden wrote:
>
> > W97, W98SE
> > Can anyone tell me how to insert an oval picture into a Word document

and
> > have the text wrap around the oval shape?
> >
> > I have a portrait in the oval shape but when inserted it goes in as a

square
> > (white around oval). I have tried putting the oval shape on a

transparent
> > background but same thing happens.
> >
> > Any help appreciated. (Am I in the right newsgroup for this question?)
> > Patti

Patti Barden

      13th Jun 2004
Thanks Suzanne, very, very helpful instruction.
Patti

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a suggestion to add to g-n-o's excellent instructions: to make sure
> that your oval AutoShape is the same shape as your oval photo (since any
> difference will cause distortion in the photo when you use it as fill),

you
> might want to insert the photo (in line with text) and use it as a guide
> when drawing the AutoShape. After you get the oval tweaked to the right
> shape, you can delete the photo.
>
> This technique is such a clever one that I really kicked myself when I

first
> learned of it--*after* I had laboriously masked and trimmed a bunch of
> scanned oval photos and been unable to apply borders to them except by
> drawing AutoShapes over them!
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup

so
> all may benefit.
>
> "garfield-n-odie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Patti.
> >
> > Is the picture truly oval, or did it start out as a rectangular photo

that
> you
> > cropped into an oval shape? If it is the latter, then there is still a
> > rectangular background that you can't see, and that's why Word is

wrapping
> text
> > around it as though the photo were square.
> >
> > But there is a way to create a truly oval shape that Word *will* tightly

> wrap
> > text around. On the Drawing toolbar, there is an Oval autoshape tool.

> Use it
> > to draw an oval shape of your choice. Adjust the height and width of

the
> oval
> > to the final size you need before continuing to the next step. Click on

> Format
> > | Autoshape | Wrapping tab | Wrapping style: Tight. Click on the Colors

> and
> > Lines tab, then on the black triangle to the right of the Fill Color

box,
> and in
> > the drop-down menu click on Fill Effects. Click on the Picture tab, and

> then
> > the Select Picture button. Browse to your photo file (the original one

> would
> > probably be better, but the oval one might work). Click on OK. The

oval
> shape
> > you drew is now filled with the photo you selected. At this point you

can
> still
> > reposition the oval shape, but resizing the shape non-proportionally

will
> > distort the inserted photo.
> >
> > Hope this helps. garfield-n-odie
> >

> > Patti Barden wrote:
> >
> > > W97, W98SE
> > > Can anyone tell me how to insert an oval picture into a Word document

> and
> > > have the text wrap around the oval shape?
> > >
> > > I have a portrait in the oval shape but when inserted it goes in as a

> square
> > > (white around oval). I have tried putting the oval shape on a

> transparent
> > > background but same thing happens.
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated. (Am I in the right newsgroup for this question?)
> > > Patti

Patti Barden

      13th Jun 2004
Thanks, great. I had tried fiddling with shapes but never got the right
formula. Thanks again. Patti

"garfield-n-odie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Patti.
>
> Is the picture truly oval, or did it start out as a rectangular photo that

you
> cropped into an oval shape? If it is the latter, then there is still a
> rectangular background that you can't see, and that's why Word is wrapping

text
> around it as though the photo were square.
>
> But there is a way to create a truly oval shape that Word *will* tightly

wrap
> text around. On the Drawing toolbar, there is an Oval autoshape tool.

Use it
> to draw an oval shape of your choice. Adjust the height and width of the

oval
> to the final size you need before continuing to the next step. Click on

Format
> | Autoshape | Wrapping tab | Wrapping style: Tight. Click on the Colors

and
> Lines tab, then on the black triangle to the right of the Fill Color box,

and in
> the drop-down menu click on Fill Effects. Click on the Picture tab, and

then
> the Select Picture button. Browse to your photo file (the original one

would
> probably be better, but the oval one might work). Click on OK. The oval

shape
> you drew is now filled with the photo you selected. At this point you can

still
> reposition the oval shape, but resizing the shape non-proportionally will
> distort the inserted photo.
>
> Hope this helps. garfield-n-odie
>

> Patti Barden wrote:
>
> > W97, W98SE
> > Can anyone tell me how to insert an oval picture into a Word document

and
> > have the text wrap around the oval shape?
> >
> > I have a portrait in the oval shape but when inserted it goes in as a

square
> > (white around oval). I have tried putting the oval shape on a

transparent
> > background but same thing happens.
> >
> > Any help appreciated. (Am I in the right newsgroup for this question?)
> > Patti

New Member

      24th Oct 2010
hi,
okay we got the picture into the oval form as directed, so how do we wrap the text around it now?
this is a memorial card and we want to wrap text around the top and bottom of the oval.
we tried putting it in word art, but it still doesn't wrap nicely around the top and we can't get the bottom to wrap at all - it just makes the text larger and larger in the word art box