data changed as follows:

From: 06001 To: 06-001

Is there a formula of some sort that I could write to handle inserting
the hyphen "-" in between the 2nd and 3rd character of my data column
to accomplish this?

Please help.

Thanks,

Big Cat

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaCBDcmFpZw==?=

      24th Jul 2006
Hi,

As long as it's always in between second and third characters this should
work:

=REPLACE(A1,3,0,"-")

where A1 contains the original text

Ron Rosenfeld

      24th Jul 2006
On 23 Jul 2006 22:52:22 -0700, "Big Cat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All:
>
>I was wondering if one of you Excel guru's out there could coach me
>through this challenge I have. I run an extract report from our
>business system into Excel and I need to have a particular column of
>data changed as follows:
>
>From: 06001 To: 06-001
>
>Is there a formula of some sort that I could write to handle inserting
>the hyphen "-" in between the 2nd and 3rd character of my data column
>to accomplish this?
>
>Please help.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Big Cat

1. You could custom format the column:
Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: 00-000

2. You could use the formula:

=TEXT(A1,"00-000")

--ron

Big Cat

      6th Aug 2006
Ron,

Thanks for the help. I found it easiest to go with option 1 to solve
my problem immediately. If I wanted to use option 2 (formula), where
would I insert the formula in the list?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Big Cat