Initial page loads slow, then surfing fine

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0aWU=?=

      30th Dec 2003
I am encountering the strangest thing. When I pull up IE 6.0, the initial page (no matter what it is) takes almost 5 minutes to load. Nothing shows until the 5 minutes are up and the whole page then loads. Once I have the page loaded, I can go in that IE browser window to any other webpage at lighning speed. I am having the same problem with my Outlook XP as well. It takes 5 minutes to load Outlook, then 5 minutes to load each e-mail I click on! Any thoughts? This is a fairly new computer that I have only been using for about 3 months. I tried a regclean and a virus search, as well as searching for spyware and there is nothing showing up. I tried a repair on Office XP and Windows XP, but still to no avail. You can e-mail me as well if you have any thoughts as well. Thanks!

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

      31st Dec 2003
"Christie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)
> I am encountering the strangest thing. When I pull up IE 6.0, the
> initial page (no matter what it is) takes almost 5 minutes to load.
> Nothing shows until the 5 minutes are up and the whole page then
> loads. Once I have the page loaded, I can go in that IE browser
> window to any other webpage at lighning speed. I am having the same
> problem with my Outlook XP as well. It takes 5 minutes to load
> Outlook, then 5 minutes to load each e-mail I click on! Any thoughts?
> This is a fairly new computer that I have only been using for about 3
> months. I tried a regclean and a virus search, as well as searching
> for spyware and there is nothing showing up. I tried a repair on
> Office XP and Windows XP, but still to no avail. You can e-mail me as
> well if you have any thoughts as well. Thanks!

First eliminate any scumware.
See
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each need to be updated before every use, even when just
downloaded.

If trying everything at that site does not fix the problem please post back
in the same thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

New Member

      4th Dec 2005
I'm having the exact same problem. I open up IE, first page (any webpage) stays blank for about 5 minutes, then loads. After that everything loads quickly and smoothly.

Ran a virus-scan, looked for spyware, adware, etc. Nothing. Deleted cache, but that didn't help. Checked internet settings and connection and everything seems fine. Defragmented. Searched for errors... etc. etc. I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have some suggestions? Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Last edited by Babbles; 4th Dec 2005 at 10:28 PM..

New Member

      5th Dec 2005
Ahh... I've finally figured it out. The culprit was AOL. I had AOL installed from back when I used dial-up and never bothered to get rid of it. I uninstalled it, and now IE works just fine. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.