Infected folder cannot be removed

=?Utf-8?B?bGVhcm5pbmc=?=

      22nd May 2005
I stubbled across a folder within the C: Drive when I ran ADware program. It
froze on this folder and did not complete the analysis. After going the
folder I tried to see what it contained and found that I got a pop up message
" Disk is not formatted"
"The disk in drive C is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes or
No"
I tried to delete the folder and tried to move it and it wouldn't allow me
to do either one. I ran spy bot and Norton virus scan and neither pick up
the folder as a problem.

Can anyone tell how I can removed/ delete this folder.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

      22nd May 2005
Try booting up in safe mode, this may prevent any unwanted services loading
and hopefully allow you to delete the folder.

"learning" wrote:

> I stubbled across a folder within the C: Drive when I ran ADware program. It
> froze on this folder and did not complete the analysis. After going the
> folder I tried to see what it contained and found that I got a pop up message
> " Disk is not formatted"
> "The disk in drive C is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes or
> No"
> I tried to delete the folder and tried to move it and it wouldn't allow me
> to do either one. I ran spy bot and Norton virus scan and neither pick up
> the folder as a problem.
>
> Can anyone tell how I can removed/ delete this folder.

=?Utf-8?B?bGVhcm5pbmc=?=

      22nd May 2005
I have tried and the same problem exists.

"Mark" wrote:

> Try booting up in safe mode, this may prevent any unwanted services loading
> and hopefully allow you to delete the folder.
>
> "learning" wrote:
>
> > I stubbled across a folder within the C: Drive when I ran ADware program. It
> > froze on this folder and did not complete the analysis. After going the
> > folder I tried to see what it contained and found that I got a pop up message
> > " Disk is not formatted"
> > "The disk in drive C is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes or
> > No"
> > I tried to delete the folder and tried to move it and it wouldn't allow me
> > to do either one. I ran spy bot and Norton virus scan and neither pick up
> > the folder as a problem.
> >
> > Can anyone tell how I can removed/ delete this folder.

Bob Harris

      22nd May 2005
The folder might be infected, just corrupted.

So, first try ixing the file system, just in case that is the root problem.

Open a command prompt and type "CHKDSK C: /R" without the quotes. Hit
return, then type "Y" without quotes when it asks if you want to do this
during the next reboot. Reboot. CHKDSK should find/fx file system errors,
including directory errors. This variation of CHKDSK may run up to an hour,
so be patient.

After running CHKDSK, if you still have troubles with this folder, then
attack it from outside of XP. The simplest way to do this would be to run
the XP recovery console, form the XP CDROM, or from the multi-loppy set
(free download from Microsoft).

However, by default the recovery console limits what you can do, so before
entering it I recommend that you do the following:

Run REGEDIT and change two things that appear on the same page:

Start Run Regedit

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\
RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SetCommand value to 1

Then, once you get into the recovery console, type the following command:

SET ALLOWALLPATHS = TRUE
This will allow you to navigate to anywhere on the PC, not just the windows
system area.

By the way, the security level registry hack will skip the need to know the
administrator password to enter the recovery console.

"learning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I stubbled across a folder within the C: Drive when I ran ADware program.
>It
> froze on this folder and did not complete the analysis. After going the
> folder I tried to see what it contained and found that I got a pop up
> message
> " Disk is not formatted"
> "The disk in drive C is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes
> or
> No"
> I tried to delete the folder and tried to move it and it wouldn't allow me
> to do either one. I ran spy bot and Norton virus scan and neither pick up
> the folder as a problem.
>
> Can anyone tell how I can removed/ delete this folder.

=?Utf-8?B?bGVhcm5pbmc=?=

      24th May 2005
Thanks. It was a disk problem, although I couldn't use C prompt I finally
figured it out through some other quieries.