Include existing ActiveX Dll without including it in the setup

Manfred

      22nd May 2007
Hello

I have created an application which uses an ActiveX DLL from another
vendor. I'm not permited to redistribute the DLL and need to access it
from the location where it is installed (the path may change from one
system to another).

If I set the reference to the DLL it will add it to my application
directory automatically. If I remove it from the setup, the application
will fail.

Creating the setup was a pain in the a** up to now (I'm new in VB.Net)

How can I set the reference to the mentioned component. Is there any
solution?

Thanks for any help

Regards

Manfred

Duracel

      22nd May 2007

Manfred,

If the control is registered, then you can reference it and just ship the
interop library. The registry should know where it is so you don't need to
store a path to it.

Robin

Manfred

      22nd May 2007
Robin

Thank you for your reply.

I'm unsure if the dll is registered. How can I check it. I tried to
check it in VB6 References. It shows up there. I'm unsure because I have
referenced it before in VB.Net.

Another question is the interop.dll

Does this file not contain any parts of the DLL itself? How about
licensing if I distributing such an interop file?

Regards

Manfred

Duracel wrote:

> Manfred,
>

> If the control is registered, then you can reference it and just ship the
> interop library. The registry should know where it is so you don't need to
> store a path to it.
>

> Robin

Spam Catcher

      22nd May 2007
Manfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Does this file not contain any parts of the DLL itself? How about
> licensing if I distributing such an interop file?

I don't believe the interop contains any DLL code. It's really an interface
file.

Manfred

      22nd May 2007
Spam Catcher wrote:

> Manfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Does this file not contain any parts of the DLL itself? How about
> > licensing if I distributing such an interop file?

> I don't believe the interop contains any DLL code. It's really an interface
> file.

Thank you.

Good to know. I will run a test and include only the interop files.

There are two of them interop.dllname and AXinterop.dllname

I'm also unsure why there are two?

Regards

Manfred

Robin Tucker

      22nd May 2007

One of them is the interface wrapper, the other the control wrapper. If you
just referenced a COM type library for example, you would only get the one.