Import bibliography in source manager XML format

Nima

      15th Apr 2009
Dear all
I was wondering is somebody could help me about importing bibliography to
word 2007. Let me explain the problem: I’ve used Web of Knowledge and also
Scopus for my dissertation. All these web sites have an option for exporting
the bibliography for other software such as EndNote. However, the only
supported format to be imported to source manager of word 2007 is XML and
unfortunately this format is not supported on most e-journal websites. Any
advice or suggestion?
P.S: even Scopus has an option to export bibliography as a document of MS
word, even that doesn’t work as well.

Yves Dhondt

      15th Apr 2009
There are a couple of free utitlities that you can use:

1)BibUtils: http://www.scripps.edu/~cdputnam/software/bibutils/
Converts between the most common bibliographic formats. The downside is that
it uses an intermediate format (MODS) to do the conversion. Hence, there is
dual data loss, once from converting the original to MODS and once more from
converting MODS to the open xml bibliographic format.

2)BibTex2Word2007:
http://sdudah.googlepages.com/bibtex...raphyconverter
An AWK script (so you probably will need cygwin installed) to convert
directly from BibTeX to open xml.

3)bib2word07xml: http://bib2word07xml.codeplex.com/
Based on BibTex2Word2007 but with less functionality. It is a C# program and
therefore probably won't need any fancy installing. It converts BibTeX
entries to open xml.

4)Reference Manager:
http://ragrawal.wordpress.com/2009/0...for-word-2007/
This is an add-on for Word 2007. I haven't had time to use it myself, but
from its description it seems the most capable one. The importing directly
from a website might be malfunctioning though as it looks like he is
currently doing 'extensive' data mining of the page rather than taking a
direct link to the citation. So a change in the page structure might make
the retrieval fail. There also seems to be no way to import multiple
citations at once or preview the conversion result.

Yves
--
http://bibliography.codeplex.com

"Nima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all
> I was wondering is somebody could help me about importing bibliography to
> word 2007. Let me explain the problem: I’ve used Web of Knowledge and also
> Scopus for my dissertation. All these web sites have an option for
> exporting
> the bibliography for other software such as EndNote. However, the only
> supported format to be imported to source manager of word 2007 is XML and
> unfortunately this format is not supported on most e-journal websites. Any
> advice or suggestion?
> P.S: even Scopus has an option to export bibliography as a document of MS
> word, even that doesn’t work as well.

bingo

      16th May 2009
The reference manager import utility is not based on site scrapping
but uses a two step process. Most online journals provides links to
download metadata into bibtex, RIS or other standard formats. I use
regex functions to find proper document id and use these links to get
metadata information and import it in word. However, I liked your
suggestion of preview and I will try to roll it out in next release of
reference manager.

Regards

bingo

      16th May 2009
@importing multiple references
you can paste a bibtex or RIS file with multiple articles and it will
import all of them.

New Member

      30th Jan 2012
The import utility for word 2007
4)Reference Manager:
http://ragrawal.wordpress.com/2009/0...for-word-2007/
is very good thank you.

Alas, I don't think that it works with Word 2010 and the developer
has stopped developing it.

I had a look at bibtex but it does not seem to extend import but
rather the variety and complexity of styles.

I have endnote somewhere but my students do not.
And alas they have word 2010.

Tim