ILMerge for CF

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZlciBCLg==?=

      29th Jan 2007
Hi

I try to use ILMerge for CF 2.0
I succeed to create an exe: "MyAppMerge.exe" that contain all my dlls.

When I try to run the exe on the device I get this message:

..NET CF Initialization Error,
The application failed to load required components.
If the .NET CF is installed on a storage card,
please ensure that this card is in place and launch the application again.
If this fails, a re installation of the .NET CF is recommended.

any idea?
Thanks

Neil Cowburn

      29th Jan 2007
Use still need the .NET Compact Framework on the device. ILMerge does not
create a native version of a managed executable.

--
Neil Cowburn
Principal Partner

http://www.opennetcf.com/

"Ofer B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I try to use ILMerge for CF 2.0
> I succeed to create an exe: "MyAppMerge.exe" that contain all my dlls.
>
> When I try to run the exe on the device I get this message:
>
> .NET CF Initialization Error,
> The application failed to load required components.
> If the .NET CF is installed on a storage card,
> please ensure that this card is in place and launch the application again.
> If this fails, a re installation of the .NET CF is recommended.
>
> any idea?
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?T2ZlciBCLg==?=

      30th Jan 2007
.NET CF 2.0 is installed on the device. I even try to re install it.
The application (not merge) succeed to run on the device.

Ofer

"Neil Cowburn" wrote:

> Use still need the .NET Compact Framework on the device. ILMerge does not
> create a native version of a managed executable.
>
> --
> Neil Cowburn
> Principal Partner
> OpenNETCF Consulting, LLC.
>
> http://www.opennetcf.com/
>

> "Ofer B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> >
> > I try to use ILMerge for CF 2.0
> > I succeed to create an exe: "MyAppMerge.exe" that contain all my dlls.
> >
> > When I try to run the exe on the device I get this message:
> >
> > .NET CF Initialization Error,
> > The application failed to load required components.
> > If the .NET CF is installed on a storage card,
> > please ensure that this card is in place and launch the application again.
> > If this fails, a re installation of the .NET CF is recommended.
> >
> > any idea?
> > Thanks

Neil Cowburn

      30th Jan 2007
You need to use the /targetplatform command-line argument so that ILMerge
will reference the correct BCL assemblies.

See here for more details:
http://blog.opennetcf.org/ncowburn/2...lications.aspx

--
Neil Cowburn
Principal Partner
OpenNETCF Consulting, LLC.

http://www.opennetcf.com/

"Ofer B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> .NET CF 2.0 is installed on the device. I even try to re install it.
> The application (not merge) succeed to run on the device.
>
> Ofer
>

> "Neil Cowburn" wrote:
>
>> Use still need the .NET Compact Framework on the device. ILMerge does not
>> create a native version of a managed executable.
>>
>> --
>> Neil Cowburn
>> Principal Partner
>> OpenNETCF Consulting, LLC.
>>
>> http://www.opennetcf.com/
>>

>> "Ofer B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I try to use ILMerge for CF 2.0
>> > I succeed to create an exe: "MyAppMerge.exe" that contain all my dlls.
>> >
>> > When I try to run the exe on the device I get this message:
>> >
>> > .NET CF Initialization Error,
>> > The application failed to load required components.
>> > If the .NET CF is installed on a storage card,
>> > please ensure that this card is in place and launch the application
>> > again.
>> > If this fails, a re installation of the .NET CF is recommended.
>> >
>> > any idea?
>> > Thanks

thaoula@gmail.com

      31st Jan 2007
Hi Neil,

I have tried what you describe on your blog without success as i still
get ".NET CF Initialization Error". ILDASM indicates assembly
references are set for compact framework.

I am using the following command line -

ILMerge /t:winexe /targetplatform:2,"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\v2.0\Debugger\BCL" /
log:c:\bin\log.txt /zeroPeKind /ndebug /lib:"C:\Program Files
\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework
\2.0\v2.0\Debugger\BCL" /out:c:\bin\nano.exe c:\bin\nanoapp.exe c:\bin
\nanoapp.controls.dll c:\bin\system.data.sqlite.dll

Any insight would be helpful.

Kind Regards,
Tarek

PS - I have tried with and without system.data.sqlite.dll + other
applications and I have same problem.

Neil Cowburn

      31st Jan 2007
I've contacted someone at Microsoft about this and will let you know what I
find out.

--
Neil Cowburn
Principal Partner

http://www.opennetcf.com/

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Neil,
>
> I have tried what you describe on your blog without success as i still
> get ".NET CF Initialization Error". ILDASM indicates assembly
> references are set for compact framework.
>
> I am using the following command line -
>
> ILMerge /t:winexe /targetplatform:2,"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\v2.0\Debugger\BCL" /
> log:c:\bin\log.txt /zeroPeKind /ndebug /lib:"C:\Program Files
> \Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework
> \2.0\v2.0\Debugger\BCL" /out:c:\bin\nano.exe c:\bin\nanoapp.exe c:\bin
> \nanoapp.controls.dll c:\bin\system.data.sqlite.dll
>
> Any insight would be helpful.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Tarek
>
> PS - I have tried with and without system.data.sqlite.dll + other
> applications and I have same problem.

Robert Simpson

      31st Jan 2007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Neil,
>
> I have tried what you describe on your blog without success as i still
> get ".NET CF Initialization Error". ILDASM indicates assembly
> references are set for compact framework.
>
> I am using the following command line -
>
> ILMerge /t:winexe /targetplatform:2,"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\v2.0\Debugger\BCL" /
> log:c:\bin\log.txt /zeroPeKind /ndebug /lib:"C:\Program Files
> \Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework
> \2.0\v2.0\Debugger\BCL" /out:c:\bin\nano.exe c:\bin\nanoapp.exe c:\bin
> \nanoapp.controls.dll c:\bin\system.data.sqlite.dll
>
> Any insight would be helpful.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Tarek
>
> PS - I have tried with and without system.data.sqlite.dll + other
> applications and I have same problem.

You won't be able to run ILMerge in conjunction with SQLite. The SQLite
library is a special mixed-mode DLL containing both managed and unmanaged
code, and I had to write a special program to merge the two together in the
first place for the Compact Framework.

Robert

thaoula@gmail.com

      31st Jan 2007
Hi Robert,

I assumed that you could not ILMerge the SQLite dll which is why I
tried with and without your excelent piece of work. I remember you
talking about how you merged the two DLL's.

Howerver, I have tried using ILMerge on two simple projects (created
device Windows App and device Control library. No SQLite or other dlls
purely .net default references) added reference to control library,
compiled and then tried ILMerge without success. Still getting ".NET
CF Initialization Error"

Kind Regards,
Tarek

thaoula@gmail.com

      31st Jan 2007
Hi Neil,

Thanks for following this up. It would be great to be able to use
ILMerge.

Kind Regards,
Tarek

thaoula@gmail.com

      8th Feb 2007
Hi Neil,

Did you by any chance get a response about this ILMerge problem?

Kind Regards,
Tarek