IIS7: *.asp = 404

Paul Prewett

      28th Feb 2008
I have a new machine with Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I'm coming from an
XP Pro x86 and I'm trying to get my development websites running on the new
machine.

IIS7 installed with no errors including ASP.NET, Windows Authentication, and
all of the IIS 6 Compat items. If I browse to http://localhost, I get the
nice welcome message. If I drop an htm file on the root, I can browse it no
problem. When I attempt to browse any aspx file, I get a 404. The 404 is
coming from .NET (i.e. it's the "Server Error in '/' Application" error) so
I know I'm getting at least as far as the framework.

The application pool is set to run Classic Managed Pipeline Mode. Identity
of the app pool is Network Service. Framework version 2.0.

I have run aspnet_regiis -u, -i, etc... until I'm blue in the face. It
seems that the only one that works well is the one in the Framework64
folder, which I guess is to be expected. When I try to run the one in the
regular Framework folder, I get a message that tells me that IIS is not
installed.

I have uninstalled IIS altogether, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, and then
rerun the aspnet_regiis again... still no love. I get exactly the same
behavior no matter what I do.

I even tried reinstalling the .NET Framework 2.0 altogether, but Vista64
disallowed that saying that it was already installed as part of the OS.

What am I missing, folks? Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Paul Prewett

      28th Feb 2008
Of course, the title should be *.aspx = 404

asp is working fine.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...