IE 6 'save as type' dialog displays wrong file type

=?Utf-8?B?RG9uRGVGZWxpY2U=?=

      23rd Apr 2004
Hi
I'm having this problem with IE 6, when I'm using FTP to access a remote directory and I double clikc on a file I want to download, the 'save as' dialog pops up (as expected), but the 'Save as type' indicates that it's a .zip file. The extenion of the file is actually .1of2 (could be 1 of many) so technically the extension isn't associated with any program. The file is however a .gzip (archive) file. Is there a work around for this, so that the file is saved with no intervention by me with its given filename. Or is IE smart enough to know, even though the extension doesn't indicate file type, that it's a zip file

Don

H Leboeuf

      24th Apr 2004
Set if up as you would a .zip file.

You set this for each file type, e.g. for .zip
Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types
Find the .zip association (may be WinZip File)
Edit, (or click Advanced on ME or XP) and check the "Confirm open
after download" box

The path to Folder Options may vary according to your operating
system. It may be:
Explorer-View-Folder Options
Explorer-Tools-Folder Options
Start-Settings-Folder Options
Start-Settings-Control Panel-Folder options.

Source: Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
--

Henri Leboeuf
Web page: http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/index.htm
news:(E-Mail Removed)...