.ics file "not a valid Internet Calendar file"

WisconsinSteve

      16th Apr 2008
I have received several .ics files from various travel web sites (e.g.,
expedia.com) showing my travel itineraries, but when I attempt to import them
into my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar, I get a message that the file is
"not a valid Internet Calendar file." Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brian Tillman

      17th Apr 2008
WisconsinSteve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have received several .ics files from various travel web sites
> (e.g., expedia.com) showing my travel itineraries, but when I attempt
> to import them into my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar, I get a
> message that the file is "not a valid Internet Calendar file." Any
> ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Googling this problem indicates that there may be specific iCal statements
that OL 2007 might not like. Open the ics file with Notepad and remove the
BYDAY phrase if you see one. See if that makes a difference.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

WisconsinSteve

      18th Apr 2008
Thanks for trying, Brian, but none of my .ics or .vcs files had a BYDAY
phrase. Any other ideas of "bad" phrases I should be looking for? When I
open my files in Notepad, they seem to follow the general .ics or .vcs
format. I am really frustrated by this.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> WisconsinSteve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have received several .ics files from various travel web sites
> > (e.g., expedia.com) showing my travel itineraries, but when I attempt
> > to import them into my Microsoft Outlook 2007 calendar, I get a
> > message that the file is "not a valid Internet Calendar file." Any
> > ideas what I may be doing wrong? Thanks for any help you can provide.

> Googling this problem indicates that there may be specific iCal statements
> that OL 2007 might not like. Open the ics file with Notepad and remove the
> BYDAY phrase if you see one. See if that makes a difference.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Gordon

      18th Apr 2008
"WisconsinSteve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for trying, Brian, but none of my .ics or .vcs files had a BYDAY
> phrase. Any other ideas of "bad" phrases I should be looking for? When I
> open my files in Notepad, they seem to follow the general .ics or .vcs
> format. I am really frustrated by this.

Where are you trying to import these files from? (ie where are they on your
computer?)

WisconsinSteve

      18th Apr 2008
The files I am attempting to import are on my Desktop.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "WisconsinSteve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for trying, Brian, but none of my .ics or .vcs files had a BYDAY
> > phrase. Any other ideas of "bad" phrases I should be looking for? When I
> > open my files in Notepad, they seem to follow the general .ics or .vcs
> > format. I am really frustrated by this.
> >

> Where are you trying to import these files from? (ie where are they on your
> computer?)

WisconsinSteve

      22nd Apr 2008
This problem has been solved. Should anyone have a similar problem, I
thought I should share my experience with you. It turns out that I still had
an earlier version of Outlook active, even though I had installed Outlook
2007 (and thought it had removed all earlier versions of Outlook). When I
removed the earlier version of Outlook, the problem went away. Good luck to
you all, and I hope I have been able to save you some grief.