Icons, writing & pictures faced dull view on desk top & My Pictures...

Jim and Pat German

      26th Nov 2008
Hi Intelectual Friends!!!!

This is "HARMONICA PLAYER" here,

I play chromatic harmonicas on a professional level and have a CD selling on
the market at CD Baby...

MY PROBLEM: All of a sudden all the icons, writing and pictures have
BECOME VERY FUZZY AND DULL on my desk top screen. Even the pictures in "MY
PICTURES" are dull and fuzzy. On my desk top the (-) sign that withdraws
the page to the TASK BAR is whited out until it is invisible. The clock and
other items in the TASK BAR are faded out with odd colors. What must I do
to correct this problem. Tell me in elementary terms, I am a 70 year old
dummy!!! In some windows and files there is no problem. This letter is
plain.

Thank you! Harmonica Player

Leonard Grey

      26th Nov 2008
Are you operating your monitor at its native resolution?

If you are not:
Switch to the native resolution and see if that makes things look
better. (You'll find the native resolution in your monitor's user manual.)

If you are:

1- Install the most recent driver for your video card. Is the image
better? Problem solved. If not:

2- Power off the computer. Detach the video cable at both ends. Examine
the pins - do they look worn or bent? If so, you need a new video cable.
If not, carefully re-attach the video cable. Power on your computer - is
the image better? If so, your video cable was loose. If not:

3- Try a different monitor. Is the image good? Your first monitor needs
to be replaced. If the image is still bad, you need a new video card.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Jim and Pat German wrote:
> Hi Intelectual Friends!!!!
>
> This is "HARMONICA PLAYER" here,
>
> I play chromatic harmonicas on a professional level and have a CD selling on
> the market at CD Baby...
>
> MY PROBLEM: All of a sudden all the icons, writing and pictures have
> BECOME VERY FUZZY AND DULL on my desk top screen. Even the pictures in "MY
> PICTURES" are dull and fuzzy. On my desk top the (-) sign that withdraws
> the page to the TASK BAR is whited out until it is invisible. The clock and
> other items in the TASK BAR are faded out with odd colors. What must I do
> to correct this problem. Tell me in elementary terms, I am a 70 year old
> dummy!!! In some windows and files there is no problem. This letter is
> plain.
>
> Thank you! Harmonica Player

Jim and Pat German

      26th Nov 2008

Thank you Leonard!!!

It is nice to have thoughtful guys like YOU around to help!!!

It seems that my computer desk top and My Pictures PROBLEM was related to a
WRONG SETTING!! My RESOLUTION was set to 8 BIT rather than 16 or 32 BIT. I
went to the settings and increased the setting to 32 bit and everything
cleared up!!! A message came up on the computer desk top this morning
saying that "My RESOLUTION WAS SET LOW". PROBLEM IS SOLVED THANK YOU FOR
BEING THERE!!!!! YOU HAVE A GREAT, RESTFUL THANKSGIVING DAY!!!!!

Your friend, James M. German ... retired farmer producing over 9 million
frying size chickens and professional harmonica player
My website:
http://hstrial-jgerman.homestead.com/index.html

I hope everything goes well with you!!!!!

James M. German
133 German Farm Road
Boomer, NC 28606

> Are you operating your monitor at its native resolution?
>
> If you are not:
> Switch to the native resolution and see if that makes things look better.
> (You'll find the native resolution in your monitor's user manual.)
>
> If you are:
>
> 1- Install the most recent driver for your video card. Is the image
> better? Problem solved. If not:
>
> 2- Power off the computer. Detach the video cable at both ends. Examine
> the pins - do they look worn or bent? If so, you need a new video cable.
> If not, carefully re-attach the video cable. Power on your computer - is
> the image better? If so, your video cable was loose. If not:
>
> 3- Try a different monitor. Is the image good? Your first monitor needs to
> be replaced. If the image is still bad, you need a new video card.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Jim and Pat German wrote:
>> Hi Intelectual Friends!!!!
>>
>> This is "HARMONICA PLAYER" here,
>>
>> I play chromatic harmonicas on a professional level and have a CD selling
>> on the market at CD Baby...
>>
>> MY PROBLEM: All of a sudden all the icons, writing and pictures have
>> BECOME VERY FUZZY AND DULL on my desk top screen. Even the pictures in
>> "MY PICTURES" are dull and fuzzy. On my desk top the (-) sign that
>> withdraws the page to the TASK BAR is whited out until it is invisible.
>> The clock and other items in the TASK BAR are faded out with odd colors.
>> What must I do to correct this problem. Tell me in elementary terms, I
>> am a 70 year old dummy!!! In some windows and files there is no problem.
>> This letter is plain.
>>
>> Thank you! Harmonica Player

"Leonard Grey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you operating your monitor at its native resolution?
>
> If you are not:
> Switch to the native resolution and see if that makes things look better.
> (You'll find the native resolution in your monitor's user manual.)
>
> If you are:
>
> 1- Install the most recent driver for your video card. Is the image
> better? Problem solved. If not:
>
> 2- Power off the computer. Detach the video cable at both ends. Examine
> the pins - do they look worn or bent? If so, you need a new video cable.
> If not, carefully re-attach the video cable. Power on your computer - is
> the image better? If so, your video cable was loose. If not:
>
> 3- Try a different monitor. Is the image good? Your first monitor needs to
> be replaced. If the image is still bad, you need a new video card.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Jim and Pat German wrote:
>> Hi Intelectual Friends!!!!
>>
>> This is "HARMONICA PLAYER" here,
>>
>> I play chromatic harmonicas on a professional level and have a CD selling
>> on the market at CD Baby...
>>
>> MY PROBLEM: All of a sudden all the icons, writing and pictures have
>> BECOME VERY FUZZY AND DULL on my desk top screen. Even the pictures in
>> "MY PICTURES" are dull and fuzzy. On my desk top the (-) sign that
>> withdraws the page to the TASK BAR is whited out until it is invisible.
>> The clock and other items in the TASK BAR are faded out with odd colors.
>> What must I do to correct this problem. Tell me in elementary terms, I
>> am a 70 year old dummy!!! In some windows and files there is no problem.
>> This letter is plain.
>>
>> Thank you! Harmonica Player

Leonard Grey

      26th Nov 2008
Glad to help.

This is a small matter, really, but we may as well get the terminology
right, for future needs. What you adjusted (from 8-bit to 32-bit) is
called the color depth. It tells your video card how many colors it has
to work with.

What I suggested earlier - resolution - refers to the amount of detail
your images have, measured in pixels. For example, your monitor may be
displaying a resolution of 1,024 pixels per row X 768 rows. The
resolution you choose should match the built-in resolution of your monitor.

Keep playing that harmonica.
---

Jim and Pat German wrote:
> Thank you Leonard!!!
>
> It is nice to have thoughtful guys like YOU around to help!!!
>
> It seems that my computer desk top and My Pictures PROBLEM was related to a
> WRONG SETTING!! My RESOLUTION was set to 8 BIT rather than 16 or 32 BIT. I
> went to the settings and increased the setting to 32 bit and everything
> cleared up!!! A message came up on the computer desk top this morning
> saying that "My RESOLUTION WAS SET LOW". PROBLEM IS SOLVED THANK YOU FOR
> BEING THERE!!!!! YOU HAVE A GREAT, RESTFUL THANKSGIVING DAY!!!!!
>
> Your friend, James M. German ... retired farmer producing over 9 million
> frying size chickens and professional harmonica player
> My website:
> http://hstrial-jgerman.homestead.com/index.html
>
> I hope everything goes well with you!!!!!
>
> James M. German
> 133 German Farm Road
> Boomer, NC 28606

Ken Blake, MVP

      26th Nov 2008
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:29:28 -0500, Leonard Grey
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are you operating your monitor at its native resolution?
>
> If you are not:
> Switch to the native resolution and see if that makes things look
> better. (You'll find the native resolution in your monitor's user manual.)

A clarification here: LCD monitors have a native resolution, and what
you suggest is likely his problem if his monitor is LCD. But if he has
a CRT, there is no native resolution.

> If you are:
>
> 1- Install the most recent driver for your video card. Is the image
> better? Problem solved. If not:
>
> 2- Power off the computer. Detach the video cable at both ends. Examine
> the pins - do they look worn or bent? If so, you need a new video cable.
> If not, carefully re-attach the video cable. Power on your computer - is
> the image better? If so, your video cable was loose. If not:
>
> 3- Try a different monitor. Is the image good? Your first monitor needs
> to be replaced. If the image is still bad, you need a new video card.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Jim and Pat German wrote:
> > Hi Intelectual Friends!!!!
> >
> > This is "HARMONICA PLAYER" here,
> >
> > I play chromatic harmonicas on a professional level and have a CD selling on
> > the market at CD Baby...
> >
> > MY PROBLEM: All of a sudden all the icons, writing and pictures have
> > BECOME VERY FUZZY AND DULL on my desk top screen. Even the pictures in "MY
> > PICTURES" are dull and fuzzy. On my desk top the (-) sign that withdraws
> > the page to the TASK BAR is whited out until it is invisible. The clock and
> > other items in the TASK BAR are faded out with odd colors. What must I do
> > to correct this problem. Tell me in elementary terms, I am a 70 year old
> > dummy!!! In some windows and files there is no problem. This letter is
> > plain.
> >
> > Thank you! Harmonica Player

Please Reply to the Newsgroup