Hyperlink an attachment in MS Outlook

Greg

      19th May 2009
Is there a way to insert a hyperlink to an attached file in an outlook
email? Say for example, we have a PDF file with information we want a client
to see. However, we would like them to be able to open it while reading the
email instead of saving the PDF file and opening it manually.

Thanks,
Greg

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

      19th May 2009
"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eA36%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there a way to insert a hyperlink to an attached file in an outlook
> email? Say for example, we have a PDF file with information we want a client
> to see. However, we would like them to be able to open it while reading the
> email instead of saving the PDF file and opening it manually.

If they have a PDF reader installed and associated with the PDF file type in
Windows, then attach the PDF to the message and all they need to do is
double-click the PDF to read it. They don't have to save it first. If you
are all within the same organization and have access to a network share
containing the PDF file, then include the UNC of the PDF file in the message.
If the PDF file is on a web server, then include a hyperlink to the PDF file.
If you mean you want the attachment to be readable in the Reading Pane, then
Outlook 2007's preview capability is as close as you'll come, but the PDF
reader program must install an Outlook-compatible previewer.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Greg

      19th May 2009
I believe what he wants is the ability to click on a piece of text (in this
case the company name) in the message and have the PDF file come up
automatically. Instead of the recipient finding the attachment and manually
opening it.

I saw where you could hyperlink the text to a location on the email to show
another part of the message. But I believe he wants the PDF file to open up.

Thanks

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eA36%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Is there a way to insert a hyperlink to an attached file in an outlook
>> email? Say for example, we have a PDF file with information we want a
>> client to see. However, we would like them to be able to open it while
>> reading the email instead of saving the PDF file and opening it manually.

> If they have a PDF reader installed and associated with the PDF file type
> in Windows, then attach the PDF to the message and all they need to do is
> double-click the PDF to read it. They don't have to save it first. If
> you are all within the same organization and have access to a network
> share containing the PDF file, then include the UNC of the PDF file in the
> message. If the PDF file is on a web server, then include a hyperlink to
> the PDF file. If you mean you want the attachment to be readable in the
> Reading Pane, then Outlook 2007's preview capability is as close as you'll
> come, but the PDF reader program must install an Outlook-compatible
> previewer.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

      19th May 2009
"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>I believe what he wants is the ability to click on a piece of text (in this
>case the company name) in the message and have the PDF file come up
>automatically. Instead of the recipient finding the attachment and manually
>opening it.
>
> I saw where you could hyperlink the text to a location on the email to show
> another part of the message. But I believe he wants the PDF file to open up.

I covered that already and gave you the conditions under which it will work.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Greg

      19th May 2009