HP psc 1210 cartridge error

Richard Lane

      9th Nov 2006
The #56 (black) cartridge which I refilled some weeks ago now shows an
error "The black cartridge is incorrectly installed", after switching
off and then removing power for some hours to reset it returned to
normal operation then again failed. It prints "black" using the #57
(color) cartridge in "reserve mode" if the #56 cartridge is removed.

Al Bundy

      9th Nov 2006

Richard Lane wrote:
> The #56 (black) cartridge which I refilled some weeks ago now shows an
> error "The black cartridge is incorrectly installed", after switching
> off and then removing power for some hours to reset it returned to
> normal operation then again failed. It prints "black" using the #57
> (color) cartridge in "reserve mode" if the #56 cartridge is removed.

It well could be a bad cart. That's the generic message they use
sometimes. If you've been refilling the cart, there is a method of
taping off alternate sets of four countacts to reset the cart. Google
for the procedure. It works very well. One trick I have used is to
drill holes in the top of the print cart latch so I can refill the cart
without even removing it from the printer. This saves lots of resetting
and error messages.

TJ

      10th Nov 2006
Richard Lane wrote:
> The #56 (black) cartridge which I refilled some weeks ago now shows an
> error "The black cartridge is incorrectly installed", after switching
> off and then removing power for some hours to reset it returned to
> normal operation then again failed. It prints "black" using the #57
> (color) cartridge in "reserve mode" if the #56 cartridge is removed.

I had a #56 cart on my PSC 2110 do something similar after many refills,
though mine wouldn't reset after sitting for a while. Replacing the cart
"cured" the problem. You might try cleaning the contacts, both on the
cart and the printer. If that doesn't do it, I'd say it's probably a
cart gone bad.

TJ

Richard Lane

      10th Nov 2006
TJ wrote:
> Richard Lane wrote:
>> The #56 (black) cartridge which I refilled some weeks ago now shows an
>> error "The black cartridge is incorrectly installed", after switching
>> off and then removing power for some hours to reset it returned to
>> normal operation then again failed. It prints "black" using the #57
>> (color) cartridge in "reserve mode" if the #56 cartridge is removed.

> I had a #56 cart on my PSC 2110 do something similar after many refills,
> though mine wouldn't reset after sitting for a while. Replacing the cart
> "cured" the problem. You might try cleaning the contacts, both on the
> cart and the printer. If that doesn't do it, I'd say it's probably a
> cart gone bad.
>
> TJ

I spoofed the 1210 memory by the contact taping method when I refilled
the 56 and have cleaned the contacts both on the 56 and on the carriage
so I will wait for the replacement cart'. Thanks for the responses.
Dick

Richard Lane

      10th Nov 2006
Richard Lane wrote:
> TJ wrote:
>> Richard Lane wrote:
>>> The #56 (black) cartridge which I refilled some weeks ago now shows
>>> an error "The black cartridge is incorrectly installed", after
>>> switching off and then removing power for some hours to reset it
>>> returned to normal operation then again failed. It prints "black"
>>> using the #57 (color) cartridge in "reserve mode" if the #56
>>> cartridge is removed.

>> I had a #56 cart on my PSC 2110 do something similar after many
>> refills, though mine wouldn't reset after sitting for a while.
>> Replacing the cart "cured" the problem. You might try cleaning the
>> contacts, both on the cart and the printer. If that doesn't do it, I'd
>> say it's probably a cart gone bad.
>>
>> TJ

> I spoofed the 1210 memory by the contact taping method when I refilled
> the 56 and have cleaned the contacts both on the 56 and on the carriage
> so I will wait for the replacement cart'. Thanks for the responses.
> Dick

Changing the cartridge fixed the problem.
Thanks again, Dick

TJ

      11th Nov 2006
Richard Lane wrote:
> Richard Lane wrote:
>> TJ wrote:
>>>
>>> I had a #56 cart on my PSC 2110 do something similar after many
>>> refills, though mine wouldn't reset after sitting for a while.
>>> Replacing the cart "cured" the problem. You might try cleaning the
>>> contacts, both on the cart and the printer. If that doesn't do it,
>>> I'd say it's probably a cart gone bad.
>>>
>>> TJ

>> I spoofed the 1210 memory by the contact taping method when I refilled
>> the 56 and have cleaned the contacts both on the 56 and on the
>> carriage so I will wait for the replacement cart'. Thanks for the
>> Dick

> Changing the cartridge fixed the problem.
> Thanks again, Dick

HP 56 and 57 carts can be refilled many times, but they won't last
forever. A little tip: If you're going to refill, try to do it before
the carts run dry. It'll help make them last longer.

TJ

Al Bundy

      16th Nov 2006

TJ wrote:

> HP 56 and 57 carts can be refilled many times, but they won't last
> forever. A little tip: If you're going to refill, try to do it before
> the carts run dry. It'll help make them last longer.
>
> TJ

I modify my printers so that I can refill them with a long needle right
through the latching mechanism. A little Dremel saw, carbide tool, or a
drill will allow this. Every so much printing, I top them off. Pulling
the color(57) off and refilling always caused me a problem of color
mixing even when I was careful of overfilling.